Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:49:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Armory cannot be opened because of a problem" (Mac Os X)  (Read 639 times)
inglesworth (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 03:47:08 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2017, 08:52:14 PM by inglesworth

EDIT:  I am obviously new to this Armory thing.  I severely underestimated it upon discovering it, and assumed it would work as any other app - download, install, go.  Now that I am getting more involved, i realize it is much more involved.  I am on my way to victory, so this post can probably be ignored (wouldn't let me delete it).  Thanks anyway!

Hello,

I just downloaded Armory 96.1 for OS X.  When I try to launch Armory, I get an error message that says it cannot be opened because of a problem and to contact the developer.  If the problem is indeed that it is not compatible with 10.12.2, I am not very eager to upgrade (I built a hackintosh that I use for professional purposes, and I have a stable working relationship between my OS and Pro Tools versions at the moment, and I don't want to disrupt that balance).  Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Bitcoin Client Software and Version Number: Armory 96.1
Operating System:Mac OS X 10.12.2
System Hardware Specs:4.01 Intel i7 Processor, 64GB RAM
Description of Problem:See above
Any Related Addresses:N/A
Any Related Transaction IDs:N/A
Screenshot of the problem: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2MXC1kJFm0SMUk5NUN4UWQ4b1k/view?usp=sharing
Log Files from the Bitcoin Client:Where can I find these?  Will gladly supply if they are being generated and i can find out where to get them.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
droark

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2017, 12:41:50 AM

Hello. First off, I don't know if we can support Hackintoshes. I'll certainly try, and I know of no reason why it won't work on a Hackintosh. I just can't guarantee anything.

Anyway, do you have OpenSSL 1.0 or later installed? If not, install brew, then type "brew install openssl" on the command line. That should do the trick. If not, assuming Armory's under /Applications, go to /Applications/Armory.app/Contents/MacOS/ and type "./Armory" on the command line. Let me know what happens.

Thanks.
inglesworth (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 04:12:46 PM

Hey, Thanks for that!  Armory seems to open now. 

I still have an issue, though.  Hoping maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

In following the github link from the armory download page (https://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory/blob/master/osxbuild/osx_build_notes.txt), I am at step 7. It says to cd back to my "osxbuild" directory.  Does anyone have a more specific directory path for this?  Is this a directory inside of the armory package?

While Armory opened up after the above installing OpenSSL through the brew.  It is stuck on "Preparing Databases" and will not go online.  I assume this is because i hve yet to run the "python build-app.py" command (as i am unsure of the osxbuild directory location). 

Also, I have notced that if I start Armory, and then quit it, I can not open it again unless I restart my computer.  I wonder if that is somehow related to the above?

Thanks for the help!
droark

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2017, 08:52:04 PM

Hi. You're looking at the old repo. https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/blob/master/README_OSX.md is the link you really want. You don't have to worry about building anything.

As for not being able to restart Armory, that's probably due to ArmoryDB not shutting down properly. The relevant code (fcgi) is super old. I took a swing at fixing it and gave up when some personal issues came up awhile back. I think goatpig's going to replace the code soon-ish anyway, which will make all this irrelevant.

Anyway, open up Activity Monitor under Applications and shut down ArmoryDB. That should do the trick.
inglesworth (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 09:22:35 PM

Right on!  Thanks for the info droark!

Now, my last question:
I am under the impression that Armory has to initially scan the blockchain and this could take quite some time to do.  Is this the process that is going on while it says "Preparing Databases"?  My concern is that Armory has been open for almost 2 days and I am not seeing any kind of progress happening at all.
Here is a screenshot of what I am seeing.  Those two bars on the right are supposed to be progress bars, yes?  Shouldn't I see atleast some kind of progress there after 2 days?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2MXC1kJFm0SeGY1eDh4NEdGUkk/view?usp=sharing
droark

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2017, 09:39:51 PM

Yes, it does need to scan the blockchain. Are you running Bitcoin Core/Cash at the same time as you're running Armory? Is the blockchain fully up-to-date on Core/Cash?
inglesworth (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 10:24:33 PM

I am indeed running Bitcoin Core and it says it is up to date and has 8 active connections to the bitcoin network.

Does it matter whether I started one app first or the other?  it was a couple of days ago now, so I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure I started the bitcoin core app before armory.  It is also possible that it was still scanning the blockchain itself and would not have been 100% complete before Armory started up.  I don't think those things would truly matter, but I mention them because I don't know where else to look at the moment.
inglesworth (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 09:51:38 PM

OK, so I have figured out a little bit more.  I exported a log and will post a link here.  I opened the log up and looked through it to see if there was anything obvious I could figure out.  I realized that I did not install bitcoin core on my system drive, and Armory was looking for a directory on my system drive for it.  I went to preferences to try and change the directory, but apparently that feature is not doable on OS X Sad.  

So I think i have a solution, I made an alias to the Bitcoin Core directory, and placed it where Armory is looking for it and named it so it is the same.  I restarted Armory, and I am hopeful that it will be doing what it needs to now.  

I am including the log, because i was hopeful maybe someone could look and make sure there isn't something else I am missing?  It is looking to urls for an "announce.txt" and keeps failing in finding it.  I am hoping that maybe it resolves some time soon.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2MXC1kJFm0SalNMQi0yN3NyQVk/view?usp=sharing
droark

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2017, 12:38:50 AM

OK, so I have figured out a little bit more.  I exported a log and will post a link here.  I opened the log up and looked through it to see if there was anything obvious I could figure out.  I realized that I did not install bitcoin core on my system drive, and Armory was looking for a directory on my system drive for it.  I went to preferences to try and change the directory, but apparently that feature is not doable on OS X Sad.  

You can switch directories via the command line or via Automator binaries that make the CL calls.

So I think i have a solution, I made an alias to the Bitcoin Core directory, and placed it where Armory is looking for it and named it so it is the same.  I restarted Armory, and I am hopeful that it will be doing what it needs to now.  

I think that'll work, although it looks like Armory is having problems finding the link. I'm assuming there's a symbolic link to the Bitcoin Core data at /Users/XXX/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin? Can you enter the Core directory directly by going to that directory from the command line?

I am including the log, because i was hopeful maybe someone could look and make sure there isn't something else I am missing?  It is looking to urls for an "announce.txt" and keeps failing in finding it.  I am hoping that maybe it resolves some time soon.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2MXC1kJFm0SalNMQi0yN3NyQVk/view?usp=sharing

That warning can be ignored. I'm more concerned by the thing I mentioned above. That and the failure to discern the HW you have, although having a Hackintosh means fixing it may not be possible.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: