Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:32:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EMP effect on bitcoin?  (Read 479 times)
fabiorem (OP)

Activity: 1400
Merit: 347

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 05:19:17 AM

What effect would an EMP attack have on bitcoin prices?

With the threat of a war between the US and North Korea, if an EMP missile launched by dictator Kim-whatever (supposing he have such missile) reaches South Korea and Japan, this would result in lack of electricity and failure of electronics. Will this affect the price of bitcoin, since SK and Japan are trading most of it? And how much would it affect?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2017, 05:26:49 AM

Living in Korea I mainly only see trading done on the exchanges, not much real world spending.

It would affect the price about as much as all of the trading ceasing on an exchange like...oh..say, btc-e.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
davis196

Activity: 2968
Merit: 906

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 06:24:06 AM

With the threat of a war between the US and North Korea, if an EMP missile launched by dictator Kim-whatever (supposing he have such missile) reaches South Korea and Japan, this would result in lack of electricity and failure of electronics. Will this affect the price of bitcoin, since SK and Japan are trading most of it? And how much would it affect?

Do you believe that a nuclear war would happen?I don`t believe in this.
North Koreans aren`t that stupid.I`m not sure about Trump. Grin
Fear and panic are actually good for bitcoin and bad for the fiat currencies.
Bitcoin is really worldwide and the japanese and south koreans can move their bitcoins to any exchange platform or btc wallet outside Japan and South Korea.

BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2017, 11:16:25 AM

Is there any proof that EMP even exist? Many experts speculate that EMP is entirely science-fiction and not reality.

How can radio waves melt circuit boards and wires? The entire atmosphere would need to be a solid lightning bolt.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2017, 11:39:58 AM

Do you believe that a nuclear war would happen?I don`t believe in this.
North Koreans aren`t that stupid.I`m not sure about Trump. Grin
Fear and panic are actually good for bitcoin and bad for the fiat currencies.
Bitcoin is really worldwide and the japanese and south koreans can move their bitcoins to any exchange platform or btc wallet outside Japan and South Korea.

If I was worried I would not live in South Korea right now.
(though I am about 10 feet away from 2 gas masks and a chemical suit...but that's not by choice)

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 12:34:15 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2017, 01:12:55 PM by Torque

I see this supposed concern against Bitcoin come up a lot. Like a ridiculous amount.

Would it surprise you to know that the original US govt. ARPANET project, on which the entire Internet is founded, was designed specifically by the military for decentralized, secure, and uninterrupted communications during times of nuclear war, natural disasters, etc.??

99.9999999% of Average Joes apparently don't know this because they can't be bothered to study their history.

kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 03:31:27 PM

Is there any proof that EMP even exist? Many experts speculate that EMP is entirely science-fiction and not reality.

How can radio waves melt circuit boards and wires? The entire atmosphere would need to be a solid lightning bolt.

Lolwut? Who are those experts? Your thumbs?
Every classic nuke also releases an EMP, it's part of its physics.

How radio waves can melt circuit boards? They aren't specifically radio waves but a broad spectrum of EM waves.
How does a laser cut steel? How does your phone charge wireless? How does your microwave heat water? It's all the same. Resonant EM radiation.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: