Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:41:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacked and stolen  (Read 3981 times)
bronan (OP)

Activity: 774
Merit: 500

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 12:57:52 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2013, 02:00:35 PM by bronan

Angry

After many months not being active on bitcoins i was reading about some person busy developing something so i decided i wanted to send him a small donation.
The reason for my inactivity is that i am waiting for for butterfly labs to send me my ordered single SC which seems to be the second scam at present.

Anyway I installed the new version of bitcoin-qt and fired it up

After it opened i instant spotted a huge transaction being send from my client about a month ago to this address which is obvious one of hundreds addresses which are constant being used to resend it to another address since this thief tries to cover his tracks (1BxFY9cD3KPJMtvKEDTbLj7ZoijoTpzNyb)
I also traced back that the culpritt operated from IRAN where his ip address resides

So this made me painfully clear that bitcoin is far form being a safe community and that your painfully mined bitcoins are not safe at all from thiefs, scammers and other bad persons luring to get them from you.

So in the years i have been active on bitcoin i got scammed and stolen several hundred bitcoins

nice going bad memebers of the bitcoin community

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
starsoccer9
Legendary

Activity: 1630
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:01:24 PM

i dont want to laugh at you, but you are basically blaming the community for your problem which makes no sense. Because your computer wasnt protected well enough you blame others?
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:03:28 PM

Sorry for your loss, but it has nothing to do with bitcoin. If you had secured your coins this would not have happened.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:03:40 PM

Thanks, Obama.

bronan (OP)

Activity: 774
Merit: 500

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:06:39 PM

your statement that my pc is not protected well enough is first of all a joke. my pc is very well protected, but a good hacker does have no problem hacking into even goverments, banks and big companies.
So assuming that your safe .... think again having a good firewall and and a router does not mean your safe at all
Mylon

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Mining FTW

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:07:11 PM

well... sounds like you don't know how to secure your computer... then again... having 100's of bitcoins... cold storage would've been so much smarter...

Still love it how people don't lock their computer... and then complain when something gets taken out of it... (like not locking your car, and being mad someone stole your 1000 bucks photo camera you left in your unlocked car, its theft but insurance won't pay you back for it.)

I've had a client with minimal btc running on a honeypot, and it still hasn't been hacked after over 6 months. (ofc I'm not so stupid to login and unlock the wallet for them... or it would've been gone months ago) So the btc client is fine... you just need to learn to use proper security on your computer when handling money.

Get yourself a live cd, or you'll get scammed again.

Owh and a side note, you don't wanna know how many thieves, scammers and other bad people you will meet when going out of your house... Internet is just the same, and you need to apply the same rules in a different format to them. (as ofc you can't be pickpocketed online, but they can still steal your money, aka you still need to watch your wallet)

update, same story as above three, if you properly secured your computer, none of this would've happened. (hope you just learned to lock your "car")

"All Your Base Are Belong To Us" by CATS
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:08:21 PM

Your fault, next time make a better bitcoin client and a better protection system. What? The only thing you did was "whine"?

Mylon

Activity: 140

Mining FTW

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:09:06 PM

your statement that my pc is not protected well enough is first of all a joke. my pc is very well protected, but a good hacker does have no problem hacking into even goverments, banks and big companies.
So assuming that your safe .... think again having a good firewall and and a router does not mean your safe at all
omg... your explaining to us how to be safe... while not understanding what you are saying?

if you follow your own advice, you know that anything more than a 100 BTC, should NEVER EVER EVER EVER be on a NETWORKED PC, EVER!

you can not hack, that which is not networked, unless you have physical access...

"All Your Base Are Belong To Us" by CATS
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:12:37 PM

His/Her statement is correct, your computer is not secure enough, not even mine is. However my Bitcoins are not stored on a computer, but a paper wallet.
So unless someone comes and takes it away from me physically, then it's pretty darn safe. (It's not even at my house, but a secure location).

It's also known that governments do not have the biggest protections systems, read some articles online from Whitehats, they will tell you that their computer at home is more secure.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:17:01 PM

I'm confused, you say that your computer is safe, so what are you saying? That the Bitcoin system was hacked?

What exactly are you complaining about?

If your computer was never compromised then that means the Bitcoin system is broken. The thing is though, this is considered highly improbable and so far you are the only person to have been hacked with a secure computer. Perhaps your wallet was laying around on another computer from a longer time ago?

As a hint, if you change the password on a encrypted wallet, the older backups can still be used to steal the Bitcoins. Personally I would not bother changing passwords for a wallet because that means two passwords can be used to steal my coins (because of old backups). Instead I will create a brand new wallet on a offline computer and send my coins to that one. And leave the old wallet as ruined.
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:18:36 PM

First scan your PC mate, I'm pretty sure your pc is infected and it wasn't secure.

lexxus

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:21:00 PM

OP actually brings up a topic no one really cares about:
Is current bitcoin ready for mainstream adoption in terms of security?
The answer is NO.

madmadmax

Activity: 740
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:21:55 PM

Fucking Iranese...

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ██▄          ▄██   ▀██▄          ▄▄▄
  ▀██▄      ▄██▀      ▀██▄▄     ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀          ▀▀██████▀▀

Unchained Smart Contracts
Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:25:48 PM

OP actually brings up a topic no one really cares about:
Is current bitcoin ready for mainstream adoption in terms of security?
The answer is NO.

Your correct, perhaps large Bitcoin banks will be a solution?

Imagine companies like blockchain.info hosted wallets that are extremely secure... (With a certain value of the holding insured)

This future allows people to keep their money in banks like today, but the more experienced among us can keep our money literally under our control. The same as keep cash under the mattress except its usable all over the world from our computers and phones.

Bitcoin can be the best of both worlds. Obviously a future where every single Bitcoin user controls their entire stash of Bitcoins on their computers and phones is not realistic.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:27:32 PM

I still feel bad for you. But your attitude is really making it hard for people to sympathise.

You did not follow best practices regarding storing and securing your bitcoins. At the very least you should have had your wallet encrypted. And since you were inactive anyway, you should have been storing them in cold storage, completely offline, and this would not have happened.

Sorry.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:29:41 PM

I still feel bad for you. But your attitude is really making it hard for people to sympathise.

You did not follow best practices regarding storing and securing your bitcoins. At the very least you should have had your wallet encrypted. And since you were inactive anyway, you should have been storing them in cold storage, completely offline, and this would not have happened.

Sorry.

Exactly this, WE are not the ones that stole from you. So there is no NEED to give us attitude. I do feel sorry for you, because I would be devastated, but I would still remain polite to others.

Maybe, people can help you, for future reference.
jimbursch

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 01:32:03 PM

This is not an uncommon occurrence and I think it would strengthen the bitcoin community if we responded with some compassion when it happens. Anyone who is a victim of theft feels bad about the loss, including feelings of frustration and anger.

Instead of making bronan feel worse by calling him a whiner and stupid, or saying that we don't care, we can instead be sympathetic and supportive and try to learn something form this incident. We can reinforce the security recommendations, and perhaps devise new recommendations.

We can respond in ways that strengthen the bitcoin community or we can respond in ways that weaken the bitcoin community.

By the way, what does OP stand for?

MyMindshare -- a commercial messaging system -- check it out at  *Link Removed*
1PFYcabWEwZFm2Ez5LGTx3ftz

Activity: 120

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:32:31 PM

WARNING! This is another troll/shill thread, started only to be later featured on some mass-madia article about how "unsafe" and "bad" bitcoin and bitcoin community is.

(like for example this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=196138.0 was created only to be later featured on http://www.redstate.com/2013/05/16/tech-at-night-bitcoins-central-bankers-kim-dotcom-censors-mega/ )
raze

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:33:25 PM

It's a pretty bold statement saying they were from Iran. For starters, I'd like to know how you came to that conclusion. Secondly, how do you know they weren't operating through a proxy? Facts > speculation.

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
1PFYcabWEwZFm2Ez5LGTx3ftz

Activity: 120

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:41:57 PM

It's a pretty bold statement saying they were from Iran. For starters, I'd like to know how you came to that conclusion. Secondly, how do you know they weren't operating through a proxy? Facts > speculation.
Don't feed the troll. It is obvious this thread is a shill thread. What he basically said is "I left my house for a month, and left front door unlocked and open, and my savings on the kitchen table. When I came back, the money was gone! Thieves stole it! Oh and BTW, they were from Iran.".
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: