Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:31:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Day trade or Hodling  (Read 28372 times)
TomUyamot

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 01:30:04 AM

I would just like to hear your opinions, Which is more profitable, Day Trading where you can profit through buying the dips and selling when it pumps repeatedly, or Long term HODLing where you buy the dip and only sell it when it goes up 5 to 10 times its price value?

A combination of both is the right way to do it in order to gain a bigger profit. As for me, I do day trading sometimes but also hodl. But the real profitable one is day trading. If we consider the same investments in both manners with equal investment, a day trader will profit more and earlier than a simple hodler. However, the necessary skills, strategies to hit a high level of accuracy of a day trader are difficult to master. Or even understand.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MinMan

Activity: 608
Merit: 154

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 03:13:57 PM

I am planning to use bittrex to trade altcoins.  I would first get bitcoin first as i need btc to buy altcoins.

So i have a question on this and want to know if im doing it right.

Let say I have $10000 in btc. 

Btc = 7837.34 usd now

1.28 btc = 10000 usd

I send that 1.28 btc to bittrex.  Lets just make it simple and say i want to buy lisk and its worth $5.  I know its much more than that now but i like to make it simple.  Let say i want to buy 1000 lisk so $5000 plus fees.  I know bittrex fees are 0.25%.  So that means buying 1000 lisk would cost me $5000 + $12.50 = $5012.50.  This is correct right?  So basically now my bittrex btc balance is around half which is 0.64 btc?  To make it simple i ignored the sending btc fee to bittrex.

So let say my goal is to sell it once i make 20 percent profit.  Thus i want to sell it once lisk hits 6 dollars.  Say lisk hits 6 dollars.  I then sell all of it for $6000 - $15 = $5985.  So in this situation I made $5985 - $5012.50 = $972.50.  Is that correct or not? 

So once I sell the lisk on bittrex, I'm getting back btc right since lisk is paired with btc and most altcoins are not paired with usd or usdt as they put it?  So here is what confuses me.  At that moment i will get paid whatever amount btc = $5985 right?  However... isn't it a good chance that i might not get more than 0.64 btc that i originally used to buy lisk assuming btc price went up as well?  Like for example at that moment i bought lisk with my btc...  $5012.50 is about 0.64 btc at that moment.  But now... when i trade $5985 worth of lisk for btc... couldn't i get even less than 0.64 btc?  Thus even though i made a profit of $972.50 in my example buying lisk and then selling lisk... i might get back 0.60 btc only and now my btc balance is only 0.64 btc +0.60 btc = 1.24 btc?  Or is there something wrong with what im calculating here?  I do know when you are investing in altcoins, you are basically betting against bitcoin.  But here in my example, well you need btc in order to buy altcoins almost all the time since theres maybe 10 coins that are paired against usd or usdt?

And if my calculation is wrong, can someone tell me where is my calculation wrong?

Because i believe the profit i calculated is right here.  And if it is right, how do i make sure to lock in these profits?  I know you realized $972.50 in profit here.  But say you dont sell the $972.50 worth of btc now... and wait... well btc price drops... that $972.50 profit could only be $800 or less etc right?  Or is my logic wrong here?  I want to know from daytraders on this as i know daytraders mostly buy low and sell high and make lot of these transactions.  Thus if your goal for lisk is 20 percent profit of 5000 dollars invested and your goal is to make about 1000 dollars on buying lisk minus the buy/sell fees of 27.50 for a total profit of $972.50... are you suppose to immediately send that exact profit $972.50 worth of btc OR WOULD IT BE THE BTC DIFFERENCE between the 1.28 btc you started with and what you have now... and then send it immediately to gdax or gemini and sell it to them and then you lock that $972.50 in profit immediately to your bank account?

The thing is if everything was paired with USD, then it would be very easy to calculate/profits and losses.  I know bittrex has usdt but that is only paired with btc and not many other coins.  So the other thing is would daytraders instead of sending it to gdax or gemini... they immediately turn that btc into USDT?  That way their profits are locked since you have usdt?  I know usdt is around 1 dollar but it cannot be a little less or more.  But i read its still an altcoin.  So i want to know exactly how daytraders lock in their profit after they lock in their profit from one coin.  And most importantly, is it even possible to have a lesser btc balance after buying lisk at 5 dollars and selling it at 6 dollars depending on the btc price.  Because this is very confusing to me.
Well as much as I know the bitcoin is just rising in the price and now a lot of the people are buying the bitcoin and the bitcoin will give you the high price of the things when you will invest in the bitcoin, I know now a lot of the people are buying the bitcoin. I would like to say it is the best thing if you are buying the bitcoin and holding for the long time now as it is increasing more and more.
Coral27

Activity: 184
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 06:30:44 PM

I like this distribution:
25% USD in bank accounts
25% USD in bitcoin exchanges
25% BTC in altcoin exchanges
25% BTC long term on chain

With this, I am always making profits. The altcoin trading portion is always making profits in bitcoin. If bitcoin goes up, all my BTC portions rise. If bitcoin goes down, my USD is more significant, plus there will always be a great bitcoin daytrading opportunity with the USD on exchange, plus altcoins usually go up even more. If BTC died, I'd still have the USD.  If all my money and accounts were stolen or frozen by the government, I'd still have the BTC on chain.
I think both of them are very use full for future because if you will do daily trade so you can take your profit on same time here you can buy sell or you can exchange also and investment is little different then day trade in investment you will have to wait for some time but it’s also sure that you can take your profit all together because I’m using both option day trade and as well as investment and it change my life so I will advise to every one use both options.
bohr

Activity: 994
Merit: 257

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 03:13:17 AM

I think it's best to trade bitcoin instead of holding a bitcoin because bitcoin is now high and it needs to use something like investing or trading because its price is high. If you hohold it, it may decrease its price and make it easier for you to invest in its high price.
But what are the chances that you make any money at all at trading, many people suggest trading as a way to increase your bitcoin earnings but the percentage of people that can actually outperform the market are very low and if we take into account the necessary effort necessary to do so you may realize you were better just holding and buying bitcoin instead of using that much time to trade.
duyduc256

Activity: 700
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 03:25:54 AM

You should spend reasonable funds. If you are a trader you should spend 90% of the property to trade every day as it can help you earn more BTC or you can also invest long term and keep it for a long time and sell it all when it is available best profit
Sand King

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 03:49:24 AM

For me i would prefer holding all of my coins until the value of all my coins is totally increase and when i am satisfied with value of all of my coins i would sell it very high, and i dont prefer day trade because i am not good at trading at all.

omorfi

Activity: 728
Merit: 264

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 09:45:54 AM

My method; hodl till you reach the trend-line targets to buy or sell.  I know that waiting is a little boring. But this is the key of trading i believe. Do not lose your patience
Monta3002

Activity: 344
Merit: 257

EndChain - Complete Logistical Solution

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 10:09:00 AM

I would just like to hear your opinions, Which is more profitable, Day Trading where you can profit through buying the dips and selling when it pumps repeatedly, or Long term HODLing where you buy the dip and only sell it when it goes up 5 to 10 times its price value?

Both daily and long term are good but if you have the knowledge on daily profit then deal with it you will earn much more money in that case, in long term profit it is hard to predict when it will hit 5 to 10 times this is for really long term profit.

dasher797

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

Get your share of the future

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 02:50:59 AM

Day trading is better, don't miss the chance to get profit in cryptocurrency trading. I also hold cryptocurrency but only for bitcoin, so I trading bitcoin with varous altcoin but the profit must be in form of bitcoin.

Japinat

Activity: 2954
Merit: 680

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 03:23:08 AM

Day trading is better, don't miss the chance to get profit in cryptocurrency trading. I also hold cryptocurrency but only for bitcoin, so I trading bitcoin with varous altcoin but the profit must be in form of bitcoin.
Trading with various coins can give you a great opportunity to find the cheapest one that will rise soon.
For now since bitcoin is making another all time high again,  then we can expect altcoins will drop and this is normal in situations like this so always take advantage in buying cheap coins, this will make us rich if we continue to be active and monitor the market movement.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
tbterryboy

Activity: 1918
Merit: 322

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 05:04:30 AM

Holding, investing- thats what I prefer. I do day trading just for fun from time to time.

That is interesting. I do not that anyone will never do trading for fun. I think trading is a serious profession and we adopt that profession for earning livelihood. In fact trading is a profitable profession from where one can earn a good amount of money that may not be possible from any other profession. But trading is not so easy and a number of factors can affect the trading result.
Ewinsane

Activity: 980
Merit: 523

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 01:52:46 PM

It depends what you define as a "20% profit on your trade". As an altcoin trader, I see all profits as coins, not USD, but maybe youre only in the business of trading USD. When you say 20% profit, do you mean that the LSD/USD value went up 20% or that LSK/BTC value went up 20%?

If LSK/BTC went up 20%, then your 0.64BTC has increased to 0.768BTC. Multiple 0.768BTC by the BTC/USD and you have the USD value. If BTC/USD has remained the same since the time of your trade, then you have a 20% profit in USD as well. If BTC/USD dropped more than 20%, then you have a loss in USD (but not until you sell BTC/USD). If BTC/USD has increased, then you have have two different gains multiplied by eachother.

If LSK/USD went up 20%, then you need to know the price of BTC/USD to figure out how many bitcoins you have. If BTC/USD remained the same, then you have 20% more bitcoins. If BTC/USD fell, then you have two gains on your level of bitcoins. However, if BTC/USD has risen more than 20%, which happens quite often, then you have LOST bitcoins.
Yeah this one is good. This is all about you. If you have that much ability to hold as your patience allows you to, then better is to hold. It gives you much more than your expectations and you will be making incredible profits at the end. But day trading have vital role too. You can earn money at daily basis and can make your daily needs fulfil with handsome money. Still, choice is yours at the end.
Activitycoin

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 02:09:47 PM

A combination of both is the right way to do it in order to gain a bigger profit. As for me, I do day trading sometimes but also hodl. But the real profitable one is day trading. If we consider the same investments in both manners with equal investment, a day trader will profit more and earlier than a simple hodler. However, the necessary skills, strategies to hit a high level of accuracy of a day trader are difficult to master. Or even understand.
I think both of them are good for life because if you will do day trade so you will get your profit on same time and holding can give you a profit after some time but that profit will be all together because bitcoin is such a life changing currency so we need to use all options here in order we can change our life because bitcoin is providing such a good opportunities of earning to everyone so we need to take advantage from bitcoin.
Taki

Activity: 1078
Merit: 514

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 02:28:51 PM

Not everyone can combine daily trading and holding, if you have such opportunity - then you a winner. Daily trading is asking for a lot of attention  during the biggest part of the day and in some case even night. Unfortunately I don't have such opportunity, so I prefer just holding and checking prices from time to time, like once in two three days or even more.
karnwillbit

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 07:38:27 AM

Holding, investing- thats what I prefer. I do day trading just for fun from time to time.

Day trading seriously needs a lot of experience or else we will lose our money. But you are saying you will do day trading for fun. it is up to you mate i think you are ready to afford your loss. I am not ready so i go for holding.
I think not a sound minded person will consider day trading as fun or enjoyment. Day trading is more risky than long term investment. I think one can only succeeded in day trading, if he has good experience and skill of day trading. Because without good experience it is more risky to do day trading, and there are more chances that you will lose your money.
ivanst776
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 08:34:25 AM

I think its both profitable.if you have a good income then do trading of your 50% and another 50% for keep on holding..but it depend on you how to manage of your btc and if your skill is enough for trading then go for day trading.

yes exactly they are both profitable if you are flexible to do that but some are prefer to hold if they are totally convinced by the coin that they are hodl for but if not then dividing some of it to trade and to hodl is a good way of being a trader having think on how you can have a huge of profit.
Holding is a good type for investing, but you should not put much money to hold cryptocurrency. First of all, you do not know the future of cryptocurrency without government. You can see the user of Bitcoin still depend on the government and they scare the exchange or other third service provide wallet, exchange are storing their money will rob someday.
I think holding or trading totally depends on the nature of the investor because those whoa he good control over emotions may go for trading but those who don’t have, they should go for holding coin especially if the coin is bitcoin. Holding altcoins is not much profitable but bitcoin is the one which has made many people rich in last couple of years just by holding it in their wallets for long time.
Rostchild

Activity: 134

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 08:41:08 AM

I prefer HODL
I keep my ETH in my pocket
I also keep BTC

No worry and hassle free,
they are rising
setupbounds

Activity: 910
Merit: 509

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 09:04:01 AM

All things considered, both are a shrewd decision, it encourages us confine our hazard and get more chances to make a benefit, we won't squander much time on hold and hold up, I likewise separate my capital into 70% for holding and 30% for day exchanging. I would prefer not to spend excessively of my capital on exchanging day since it is very dangerous in spite of the fact that it can bring us great benefit however we require likewise to be watchful and ought not hazard excessively cash on exchanging day. Holding is more secure, benefits are very high, 70% of the capital is exceptionally sensible, joining both exchanging day and holding, we will get a colossal benefit source
The thing there is that HOLDING can only favor you when prices are going up steady, but there are times it do becomes at a steady rate, and you won’t be making much profit then. HOLDING is good if you are the type that’s ready to invest and wait for a long term, if not, you might not like it. Trading is also good, but you have to study it. It took me a long time of study to become perfect in trading, and you can make profit at anytime, same thing as making loss.

I like this distribution:
25% USD in bank accounts
25% USD in bitcoin exchanges
25% BTC in altcoin exchanges
25% BTC long term on chain

With this, I am always making profits. The altcoin trading portion is always making profits in bitcoin. If bitcoin goes up, all my BTC portions rise. If bitcoin goes down, my USD is more significant, plus there will always be a great bitcoin daytrading opportunity with the USD on exchange, plus altcoins usually go up even more. If BTC died, I'd still have the USD.  If all my money and accounts were stolen or frozen by the government, I'd still have the BTC on chain.
It’s a quite a nice division, though I don’t practice ( I’m actually missing out on one, and that is altcoins) my Investment practice is – 60% USD in banks, 20% BTC in exchanges and the other 20% exchanges long term in chain. I do benefit from it, but I think should add altcoins too, maybe that will work pretty fine.
The way market price of bitcoin is increasing since the time it was introduced to this world, I don’t think so that there can be some other better option than that of holding of bitcoins. I myself hold my bitcoins because of the reason that I know this thing will help me in earning a very handsome amount of money. Day trading is quite a hectic job and it needs lot of time as well as hard work.
Kr-sama

Activity: 266

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 10:08:11 AM

I prefer HODL
I keep my ETH in my pocket
I also keep BTC

No worry and hassle free,
they are rising
The safest choice I would say. No risk involve. Just patience and faith that the price will keep on increasing. Based on the price of bitcoin and ethereum today, your profits should be just pouring down on you. I personally prefer this than risking it in day trading. Of course you can definitely earn more profit in day trading but I don't like taking that much risk. I also don't like worrying about my trades. I just want to lay down on my favorite chair, hodl my btc and eth and watch the prices reach to the moon.
angaper

Activity: 966
Merit: 507

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 10:57:10 PM

Hodling does not mean that, Hodling is simply saving your coins and forgetting them. At least I do not know any Hodler who follows the system you mention. That supposed strategy is just trading but it's not bad. I think that many of us have the habit of allocating most of our bitcoins to hodling, and only a small portion is used for trading to increase our savings.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 »
  Print  

Jump to: