Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:33:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Biggest Misconception About Cryptocurrency  (Read 1949 times)
Aur3

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Embrace change

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 03:56:29 AM

The biggest misconception about cryptocurrency is that it’s just a passing trend, which is an emotional reaction to the paradigm shift that’s ultimately taking place. Cryptocurrency is here to stay – and as every minute passes, hundreds of thousands of new users are adopting it."

- Ron Chernesky, CEO of investFeed

I think Ron has hit the point in here. Indeed, people are now starting to realize that Bitcoin or cryptocurrency in general is already here and it has no plan to get dead or go away soon. I am sure that many people are quite apprehensive about Bitcoin and that can be normal because Bitcoin is something still new and it can take for people to adopt and thrive. Cryptocurrency has finally arrived and those in the forefront would reap most of the benefits resulting into the use of Bitcoin and other alts.

You can't please every one. Therefore, all can say something positive and negative about cryptocurrency. To those who are negative about it are probably not well-informed about its various benefits it can do. They still need to read more news. The truth is, the technology behind virtual money is guaranteed safe round the clock considering it's protected by a blockchain. The value of cryptocurrency, especially bitcoin and ethereum, are unstoppable. This is the kind of future we need to embrace. We're now living it.   

Let's make a change. Change makes you better. Change makes you smarter. Change makes you healthier.
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xuan87
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 04:16:52 AM

The most misconception I heard from the people I try to introduce was
Bitcoin is a criminal currency, it is used only for criminal to buy drugs weapon and illegal stuff
Bitcoin is a Ponzi and MLM because the more you asked people to join the more money you got

But I am agree with Ron most of the people who doesn't want to used Bitcoin always said that Bitcoin is only a passing trend which won't hold for a long time, but the fact is Bitcoin could become the future of transaction and it can become the digital currency that can help a lot of people

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████░░░░
░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░██████░
░░░░░░░██████░░░░░█░░░░░████████░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░░███░░░████░░███░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░██░██░████░░███░░█████░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░██░░█░███░░███░░██████░░
░░░░░░░░░███████░██░█░█░░░███░░██████░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░███░░░███░░░█████░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░██░░████░░░░░░██░░░██████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░████░░░░░██████░░░█████░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███░░░█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
▂▂ ▃▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ TeraWATT █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃▃ ▂▂
Global LED Adoption Through Blockchain Technology
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒『ICO IS LIVE』≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
WEBSITE』『WHITEPAPER
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
TWITTER』『TELEGRAM
iram1011

Activity: 896
Merit: 521

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 04:25:27 AM

Earlier everyone ignored Cryptocurrencies because they weren't really bigger a phenomenon and not backed by any central authority. Nobody saw any future out of it. But now with more than $ 100 billion marketcap, cryptocurrency have an important part in financial landscape that can't be easily ignored. Today, from banks to government everyone understands the potential of cryptocurrencies and many are scared of this Decentralised monetary system. This fear shows that cryptocurrencies have enough potential to effect these central authorities and hence means they are here to stay.

With increase in adoption and trust, it is quite clear that cryptocurrencies are not going anywhere. Soon more people will join the tribe.
HasHe

Activity: 952
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 05:07:43 AM

Yes.I think that people all over the world has started realizing that bitcoin is not just another innovation which could disappear in due course of time.Most of people just rejected to invest in bitcoin at first and now they are regretting for their decision.They have come across lots of scam projects and we could not blame them for not trusting in bitcoin.Bu now,all people and governments have realized that bitcoin could not be discarded more.Thats why we could see legalization of bitcoins in many countries and mass adoption of bitcoin taking place which has resulted in high price of bitcoin crossing $4000 today.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 05:16:19 AM

The biggest misconception about cryptocurrency is that it’s just a passing trend, which is an emotional reaction to the paradigm shift that’s ultimately taking place. Cryptocurrency is here to stay – and as every minute passes, hundreds of thousands of new users are adopting it."

I think Ron has hit the point in here. Indeed, people are now starting to realize that Bitcoin or cryptocurrency in general is already here and it has no plan to get dead or go away soon. I am sure that many people are quite apprehensive about Bitcoin and that can be normal because Bitcoin is something still new and it can take for people to adopt and thrive. Cryptocurrency has finally arrived and those in the forefront would reap most of the benefits resulting into the use of Bitcoin and other alts.
There is a lot of potential for Bitcoin and other altcoins to become something absolutely massive within the world economy, and by the looks of it, the things that are happening in Asia, specifically Japan, with regards to the technology may be a significant tell of what's to come in the future. Japan just legalized Bitcoin and it hit 46% trading volume within just a few weeks of that happening - that's huge. With the fork having gone through and the technology getting back to where it was; low fees, fast time and small queues, the future looks incredibly bright. I'm interested to see where it goes in the next few years, out to the end of the decade. A lot of things might be changing, and those things are all very important.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 05:28:33 AM

The biggest misconception about cryptocurrency is that it’s just a passing trend,

i don't really think this is the "biggest misconception" about cryptocurrency !
there are a lot of misconceptions, from ponzi scheme to pump and dumps but people either don't understand bitcoin so they stay away because they see the wild price swings and are scared, or they understand it and invest and enjoy the new world's technology.
neither of these groups think it is a "passing trend" though.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
kissmarx

Activity: 1106
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2017, 05:34:09 AM

Cryptocurrencies will be here to stay, it's just the beginning. We don't know when it is going to be obsolete technology. In a hundred years, if this world will survive, though there would be upgrades, some cryptocurrencies we have today will be still in use.
aTriz

Activity: 1218
Merit: 683

Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 05:54:31 AM

If hundreds of thousands of people have been adopting, pretty sure in like less than a day everyone would have adopeted bitcoin.

Anyway getting on to the point here, I think that Ron has hit the point here. When I tried to introduce some people to crypto they just thought it was a fad that was going to die soon.

Think one more misconception is "Bitcoin is a get rich fast scheme"

IAMYOURLEADER

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 05:54:58 AM

1. Scam
2. MLM
3. No Value
4. i dont want to go to jail
5. Waste of time

In short most non-bitcoin users are not aware of the value and uses of bitcoins. In mainstream media they only feature bitcoin as a Laundering tool for money and people are being put to jail by using bitcoin

You forgot to mention Deepweb. Most people that I know have a bad perception on bitcoin. They think of bitcoin the same as the darkweb. They only think that is is just used for illegal crime and activities.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 06:26:34 AM
Last edit: August 14, 2017, 09:06:04 AM by mjglqw

You can't blame the people with their wrong misconceptions though. We barely see any goods news about bitcoin on television. What do we get? News about WannaCry ransomware criminals or hackers in general demanding for X bitcoins, money laundering schemes, the darknet markets using bitcoin to sell illegal drugs, etc. Pretty much 90-95% bad news. Did we get TV news about how bitcoin helped Venezuelan families with their financial freedom Source? I don't think so. The best thing we people could probably do is to prove those wrong. Maybe share some positive news about bitcoin on Facebook or social media?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
DoublerHunter

Activity: 2590
Merit: 644

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 07:49:45 AM

The biggest misconception that i know about cryptocurrency is the people think that bitcoin or cryptocurrencies are scam because it is only online and they are not convinced for the possible fast profits because they think that we are scamming other people to just earn money while they didn't know that it is the result of our hard work and determination to do our job pretty good in order to get some bitcoin that will be converted into fiat.
darligo

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 07:52:31 AM

I liked the quote, sounds very optimistic Wink
ivanst776
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 05:57:27 PM

You can't blame the people with their wrong misconceptions though. We barely see any goods news about bitcoin on television. What do we get? News about WannaCry ransomware criminals or hackers in general demanding for X bitcoins, money laundering schemes, the darknet markets using bitcoin to sell illegal drugs, etc. Pretty much 90-95% bad news. Did we get TV news about how bitcoin helped Venezuelan families with their financial freedom Source? I don't think so. The best thing we people could probably do is to prove those wrong. Maybe share some positive news about bitcoin on Facebook or social media?
Exactly. We hear more of a bad than good about bitcoins. With all these bad news around us, we cannot blame people thinking more negative about this crypto currency.

But if hackers want to make their deals in bitcoins then it proves bitcoins a worthy asset. Darknet uses it because it gives them anonymity. The usage of anything is totally everyone's independent choice. Sadly, we live in a bad world fellow!
twicezeroiszero

Activity: 840
Merit: 500

Borderless for People, Frictionless for Banks

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 06:13:57 PM

1. Scam
2. MLM
3. No Value
4. i dont want to go to jail
5. Waste of time

In short most non-bitcoin users are not aware of the value and uses of bitcoins. In mainstream media they only feature bitcoin as a Laundering tool for money and people are being put to jail by using bitcoin

You forgot to mention Deepweb. Most people that I know have a bad perception on bitcoin. They think of bitcoin the same as the darkweb. They only think that is is just used for illegal crime and activities.
Because Bitcoin have function anonymous and helps us avoid someone try track our money.
But after the incident BTC-e offline down and BitMixer close their service helps change Bitcoin to fresh currency, I think the define about Bitcoin will change soon

Tra

╓███▄
                            ]████▌
                            ]███▀
         ╓▄▄█████████▄▄    ,▄█▀  
      ▄████▀▀█████µ   `▀▓██▀`    

╓████╜   ╙███████▄▄█▀▀`▀▄    
   ]███▌        "▀██████▌    ▓Ç  
   ]███        ,▄█▀" ▀████   ]█  

▓██      ▄█▀▀     ▓███▌  á█  
     ▀██╖ ╓▄█▀        ▓███▌ ▄█▌  
       ▀███▒         ╓███████`   

,▄██╜"▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀▀      
   ,▄██▀                         
  ▄██▌                           

╓████▌                           
█████┘                           
 ▀▀▀                             
ion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
 Transitions You to A Crypto-ready Society 

Github   Telegram   Medium   Facebook   Twitter   Reddit   Youtube
 TRADE AND EARN DURING PRE-ICO 
u
\ \ \ \
/ / / /
PRE-SALE STARTS APRIL 15, 2018
/ / / /
\ \ \ \
u
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
bitcoinjames6

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 06:23:53 AM

One thing that really bugs me is when people associate exchanges with bitcoin itself. An example is when Mt. Gox got hacked and people lost their crypto that was being stored on Mt. Gox. This caused those who do not know about the difference between exchanges and private keys to assume that "bitcoin got hacked."

My ongoing line is to say that holding bitcoin in an exchange is like holding money in a bank account, while holding bitcoin on a private key is like taking money out of a bank account and storing it under your bed (or some other safe area, assuming under your bed is safe). Basically - if the bank gets robbed then your personal money is with you under your bed. Much like bitcoin, in that if an exchange is hacked then you have your bitcoin on a private key.

I know this is an incredibly simplified version - banks have insurance, central record keeping, no armed robber could acquire all the money in a bank in one heist, etc. etc. etc. - but it illustrates the point that holding your private keys gives you complete control over your crypto. Therefore, no exchange "is bitcoin".
naidray
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1029

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 09:15:08 PM

One thing that really bugs me is when people associate exchanges with bitcoin itself. An example is when Mt. Gox got hacked and people lost their crypto that was being stored on Mt. Gox. This caused those who do not know about the difference between exchanges and private keys to assume that "bitcoin got hacked."

My ongoing line is to say that holding bitcoin in an exchange is like holding money in a bank account, while holding bitcoin on a private key is like taking money out of a bank account and storing it under your bed (or some other safe area, assuming under your bed is safe). Basically - if the bank gets robbed then your personal money is with you under your bed. Much like bitcoin, in that if an exchange is hacked then you have your bitcoin on a private key.

I know this is an incredibly simplified version - banks have insurance, central record keeping, no armed robber could acquire all the money in a bank in one heist, etc. etc. etc. - but it illustrates the point that holding your private keys gives you complete control over your crypto. Therefore, no exchange "is bitcoin".
Haha! Looks like this stuff has been getting on your nerves lately! But I really enjoyed the way you clarified all the concepts and the difference between exchange hack and bitcoins hack(which does not exist).
A very precious piece of information! Also, Simpler is better so your comment is perfect. This will also help many people in securing their crypto currencies.
ClvrGmr

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2017, 11:05:48 PM

dunno about the hundreds of thousands per minute part.

what does worry me is that it'll become the victim of another dotcom bubble that'll destroy the faith people have in it. once the smoke has cleared then it'll really establish itself just like the companies came out after the dotcom bubble.

there's a good chance greed will overpower any real uses. that doesn't matter in the long run, it does to people holding cryptocurrencies now.

There specifically are generally many misconceptions about cryptocurrencies in a major way. Some people kind of know that there is just 1 crypto, bitcoin to for the most part be precise, sometimes they specifically say it really is easily earned, used for illegal transactions and particularly many more, or so they thought. What this implies generally is the more misconception definitely grow from person to person. The reputation of cryptocurrency will decrease thus, making it less popular and won''t definitely be able to attract investors on its really run in a actually big way.
Dhaaaw

Activity: 140

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 01:52:37 AM

If "as every minute passes, hundreds of thousands of new users are adopting it" really happen, then bitcoin could overtake fiat in few years later Roll Eyes

But, i think some biggest misconception about cryptocurrency are :
1. It's currency for criminal or terrorist.
2. It's scam, ponzi, MLM or MMM.
3. It's not secure and can be hacked.
4. It don't have real value, usage or the price will crash.

I just hope price won't crash too hard once many people invest/use crytptocurrency, otherwise many people will be disappointed and the chance for mass adoption will gone.

Well, i don't think that 1 & 3 are misconception and that's the biggest issue we face.
Bitcoin is wildly used in the criminal world it's like the blockchain technologies make it easier for them more than anybody else.
And for the security thing, any web wallet can be hacked into and any storage wallet can be stolen if people act carelessly.
ajmapalo22

Activity: 266
Merit: 122

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 01:59:17 AM

Yes people tend to ignore cryptocurrency and bitcoin before they think that it's just a currency that in due time will die and leave the market...now that it is growing and continue to have a higher value people are now looking for bitcoin and how they can earn from it. The opportunity unlocks in cryptocurrency has been getting popular and the demand starting to rise as the value also appreciate.
krishnapramod
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 04:58:56 AM

IMO the biggest misconception about bitcoin/cryptos is that they have no real value because they aren't backed by anything. A common misconception which is repeatedly being used by some economists and investors to criticize bitcoin.

Bitcoin is backed by software, mathematics, programmable money, real. Bitcoin has the required characteristics of a currency/commodity: Scarcity, durability, portability, fungibility, divisibility, and recognizability. All these attributes defines value.

Sceptics who have this misconception wouldn't find these attributions satisfactory. There is simple logic, if bitcoin has no value then why people are trading in it? Why people are willing to spend thousands of dollars to acquire it?

Bitcoin isn't something out of thin air, it has a strong foundation. A combination of cryptography and economic incentives, cryptoeconomics. As far as people have confidence/trust in bitcoin/cryptos, they have a real value and as adoption increases, as more people trust them, their value would increase.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: