Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:29:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: May I use Poloniex public API data for my own (public) charting platform?  (Read 297 times)
TheCookie (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 12:49:39 PM

After I started to trade cryptos instead of the "normal" Forex market I noticed that there are some tools I'm missing here. So I started programming them on my own, using the exchanges API's.

My question is now if I'm allowed to publish these tools (as a website).
I've read the terms of Poloniex which (in section 7) state that I need written permission from Poloniex IF I got this part right. (English is not my native language and I don't know that much about copyright)
I asked their support about this more than a week ago but still didn't receive an answer (propably a lot going on right now with Bitcoin Cash and so on) so I thought I'd ask what you guys think about this before I continue to work on this platform.

Thanks in advance!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6115

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 02:05:22 PM

We have a lot of bots that uses their API such as C.A.T, GunBot, LeonArdo etc. and platforms like CoinMarketCap. All of these services either offer paid services (for sale) or for free where the ads revenue help them, If there is nothing on their site explicitly saying that you can't do so then you should be fine.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 03:53:59 PM

After I started to trade cryptos instead of the "normal" Forex market I noticed that there are some tools I'm missing here. So I started programming them on my own, using the exchanges API's.
Those API's will never give you full access.They're limited.Personally,it's a bad idea to rely on their API's if you wish to write your own product.

I've read the terms of Poloniex which (in section 7) state that I need written permission from Poloniex IF I got this part right. (English is not my native language and I don't know that much about copyright)
I asked their support about this more than a week ago but still didn't receive an answer (propably a lot going on right now with Bitcoin Cash and so on) so I thought I'd ask what you guys think about this before I continue to work on this platform.
You can continue to use their API for whatever tools you want to make.I don't think they have a problem with that.Ofcourse until you're running your own exchange based on their API which is not a possible case here I suppose.
TheCookie (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 05:32:53 PM

Thanks for your opinion!
Those API's will never give you full access.They're limited.Personally,it's a bad idea to rely on their API's if you wish to write your own product.

You can continue to use their API for whatever tools you want to make.I don't think they have a problem with that.Ofcourse until you're running your own exchange based on their API which is not a possible case here I suppose.
I need the live data from the exchanges, so far I don't know any other way, do you know an alternative?
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 05:38:26 PM

I need the live data from the exchanges, so far I don't know any other way, do you know an alternative?
There is literally no other alternative if you only need live data from the exchanges.To explain it further,here's a quote from bitcoin's stack exchange

Each site has its own set of apis and documentation, I don't think it's likely that you'll find a single site with a complete set of APIs.

Here are some links to get you started:

btc-e.com/api/documentation
bter.com/api
coinbase.com/api/doc
www.cryptsy.com/pages/api
www.virwox.com/developers.php
Hope that answers your question.You can always start your own exchange and then use the API however you want.
TheCookie (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 05:59:16 PM

Thank you, but I've already written all the code I need to get the live data from the API's into my database ^^
I'm just working on some indicators that (in my opinion and trading style) could be helpful in trading cryptos.
As long as I'm allowed to I will publish them when I'm done.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: