Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:39:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm about to lose my s**t......  (Read 853 times)
itlbtu2 (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 09:08:52 AM

Well, I have been out of the mining game since 2012-ish.....I got every thing back up and running (kind of) and I'm having some problems dropping GPU's .....

after many days leading into weeks, I tried smos, bamt, etc.....because that is what I used before......epic fail.....so now after so much time spent, I wanted to get mining up and going, so I am using simplemining.org  here is a list of my equipment

3x EVGA Z87-FTW MOBO
9x HIS R9 270X
6x EVGA 750G PSU

My current layout is 1x gpu in a Win 7 setup that I use as a desktop, and the remaining dedicated to two rigs.

My problem is that both dedicated rigs will not work together.  The longest I have had them working together is less than 30-45 minutes.  Once it is all setup, a card (or whole rig) will sporadically drop.  Isn't always one rig or one card etc...  I have tried to troubleshoot to the best of my ability and I'm getting nowhere.......anyone ran into this before?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1709

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 09:24:17 AM

Use Windows 7 with AMD 15.16 drivers with your R9 270X and mine ZEC with them. You will get 190H/s

If you are getting dropping GPUs, maybe your ribbon risers from 2012 are damaged. With massive heat they get hard and can easily break when bent.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
itlbtu2 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 09:36:14 AM

would my ribbon risers work periodically and then not?Huh
Branko

Activity: 2464
Merit: 318

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 09:49:00 AM

Use Windows 7 with AMD 15.16 drivers with your R9 270X and mine ZEC with them. You will get 190H/s

If you are getting dropping GPUs, maybe your ribbon risers from 2012 are damaged. With massive heat they get hard and can easily break when bent.

I think expanse is a bit more profitable with his cards, specially if he manages to make good straps
doesntmatter

Activity: 39

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 11:55:28 AM

you are creating a lot of heat? what are you doing to dissipate it? what you are describing sounds like a heat issue... just when everything is ok... runs for like 10 min then drops off... usually it's heat
enzeperix

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 01:47:32 PM

I think  you will have a lot of work with these old cards . I had some 280x and 7970 and sold them recently . They eat a lot of power ( ~200W each) and are good specially at mining UBQ ( around 24-25 Mh/s ) or Zcash and forks of Zcash ( around 300 sol/s). If i were you i wouldn't bother with mining except if i had free electricity.
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 03:36:03 PM

If you are using ribbon risers, stop wasting time and buy all new USB type risers. Ribbon risers are mechanically fastened to the end connectors.

Adaseb was being incredibly polite.

5 year old ribbon cable risers aren't worth crap.
bmartin44

Activity: 85
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 03:46:48 PM

If you are using ribbon risers, stop wasting time and buy all new USB type risers. Ribbon risers are mechanically fastened to the end connectors.

Yes, I agreed. I would first suspect the ribbon riser issue. A new ribbon riser might create a lot of problem, and yet it is 5 years old.

Did you observe your GPU temperature and also physical equipment temperature, especially ribbon?

Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 04:21:41 PM

Yes, I agreed. I would first suspect the ribbon riser issue. A new ribbon riser might create a lot of problem, and yet it is 5 years old.

Did you observe your GPU temperature and also physical equipment temperature, especially ribbon?

I 100% agree with the previous comments on this issue regarding of losing the ribbon cables.

As to your question, yes it is indeed possible and actually quite likely they did become brittle and the electrical pathway broke internal to the ribbon, meaning you wouldn't necessarily see the damage from the outside. The wire diameters used in ribbon cables are incredibly small, thus why most of them use two ribbons for the entire assembly. If the wire in one of the two ribbons broke this could very well cause the periodic works/don't work symptoms you describe.

A few years back I used to use ribbon too as at first that was the only choice we had, and even when USB risers first came out it was hit or miss on the quality. Newer risers have pretty much addressed most of those issues and functionality can now be taken for granted. Plus using risers often allows greater flexibility with GPU positioning than is possible with shorter ribbon cables.

In larger quantities (10+) they can usually be found for around $6-8 each, so while you may spend double that of a cheap ribbon cable, I think the benefits are clearly worth it.
itlbtu2 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 05:38:05 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I will order some USB risers tonight and go from there!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: