Bitcoin Forum
December 13, 2017, 10:35:08 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Difficulty level in BTC mining  (Read 1144 times)
Pakal

Activity: 17

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 04:51:21 AM

My first post so I hope my question won't be too stupid  Cheesy
The current difficulty level of bitcoin mining is 923,233,068,449  ,  the next will be 939,975,898,365 (source bitcoinwisdom) . Mathematically speaking this is approximately a 1.85% increase. I read that the difficulty level usually increase 5% every 2016 blocks. I am now a little confused about the math behind these numbers.
Can someone shed some lights ?
Thanks in advance for helping a cryptonoob  !
P_

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Some PGP public keys you should import: theymos, BadBear, Sirius, Stefan, Wladimir, Gavin, Gregory, Jeff, Pieter
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 2296

Think for yourself

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 09:24:25 AM

Not sure what your asking.

Difficulty is adjusted every 2016 blocks in an attempt to keep the block finding rate at 1 every 10 minutes.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Pakal

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 07:44:45 PM

My question is : is correct to assume that the next difficulty level will only be 1.85% more than the previous one ?
Flying Hellfish

Activity: 847

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 09:34:49 PM

The current difficulty level of bitcoin mining is 923,233,068,449  ,  the next will be 939,975,898,365 (source bitcoinwisdom) . Mathematically speaking this is approximately a 1.85% increase. I read that the difficulty level usually increase 5% every 2016 blocks. I am now a little confused about the math behind these numbers.
P_

FFS literally the very first thread in this sub answers your question...  It is also stickied so it doesn't get lost but clearly that means nothing...

If you still don't understand difficulty after reading that thread then READ more/other threads.  Try not posting again until you have a question that hasn't been asked and answered a MILLION fucking times.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 2296

Think for yourself

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 11:03:00 PM

My question is : is correct to assume that the next difficulty level will only be 1.85% more than the previous one ?

If that adjustment gets the block finding rate closer to one block every 10 minutes then, yes.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Pakal

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 05:00:44 AM

FFS literally the very first thread in this sub answers your question...  It is also stickied so it doesn't get lost but clearly that means nothing...

If you still don't understand difficulty after reading that thread then READ more/other threads.  Try not posting again until you have a question that hasn't been asked and answered a MILLION fucking times.

Thanks for your advice. You could have spent the same number of words to politely redirect me to your sticky post. Instead you decided to flame and insult me. I bet that a good half of all the posts you wrote are just to offend people.

P_

xIIImaL
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 05:12:36 AM

Thanks for your advice. You could have spent the same number of words to politely redirect me to your sticky post. Instead you decided to flame and insult me. I bet that a good half of all the posts you wrote are just to offend people.

P_

Bro, each and everyone in the forum has different mindset and thought. You cannot expect revered words from everyone. Since, this is mining section, people take part of this section are worry about the low quality and already answered threads. That's a case here. Take it as easy.

Razick
Legendary

Activity: 980

★Jetwin.com★

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 10:49:02 PM

P_

I don't get the point of what you are asking given you already explained it in your post, but the difficulty goes up every 2016 blocks so that Bitcoin becomes harder to mine. When something is harder to get, it becomes more rare. When something becomes more rare, its value goes up. Hence the point of difficulty increasing so the value goes up over the long term. Wink

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀▀ ▄  ▄ ▀▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀ ▄▄████  ████▄▄ ▀▀██▄
▄██▀ ▄███████    ███████▄ ▀██▄
██▀ ▄████████▀    ▀████████▄ ▀██
██▀ ██████████      ██████████ ▀██
██▀ ██████████        ██████████ ▀██
▄██                                ██▄
██ ▄                              ▄ ██
██ ███▄                        ▄███ ██
██ ██████▄                  ▄██████ ██
██ ▀████████              ████████▀ ██
▀██ ███████                ███████ ██▀
██▄ █████▀                ▀█████ ▄██
██▄ ████        ▄▄        ████ ▄██
██▄ ▀█      ▄▄████▄▄      █▀ ▄██
██▄    ▄▄██████████▄▄    ▄██▀
▀██▄▄ ▀▀██████████▀▀ ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄ ▀▀▀▀ ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

[    ]
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 12:37:35 AM

FFS literally the very first thread in this sub answers your question...  It is also stickied so it doesn't get lost but clearly that means nothing...

If you still don't understand difficulty after reading that thread then READ more/other threads.  Try not posting again until you have a question that hasn't been asked and answered a MILLION fucking times.
P_
His point and that of many others here is that as he said: Look at the very top post in this section! There. That is the link for those too lazy to look around a bit..

Your question is answered within the first 4 posts. From one of mine in response to diff possibly dropping:
Query: why would it drop? I mean how, difficulty gets more, the more blocks are mined, isn´t it?

Answer:
Difficulty is determined by how fast the blocks are found -- not how many blocks have been found.

The network tries to hold an average of 10 minutes per-block. If more/faster miners are hashing and blocks are solved too fast, diff goes up to increase time to solve a block. If the diff correction is too much or miners are taken off line/throttled back (say in summer) and it takes longer than 10 min on average, then the diff goes down.
In the current case only a small correction is needed.

-Joshua Zipkin aka Joshua Alexander leaked AMT A1 miner skype chats http://bit.ly/1Qjt6lj
-For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself.
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Philopolymath

Activity: 280

Walter Russell's Cosmogony is RIGHT!

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 01:29:57 AM

Say there fellas......can someone explain to me how the difficulty adjusts....
Just one more time ...PLEASE...

Type slower and use BIG LETTERS  and small words...

8x S9's and  A Polarity Controlled  Electric Gyroscope
Flying Hellfish

Activity: 847

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 02:55:58 AM

I don't get the point of what you are asking given you already explained it in your post, but the difficulty goes up every 2016 blocks so that Bitcoin becomes harder to mine. When something is harder to get, it becomes more rare. When something becomes more rare, its value goes up. Hence the point of difficulty increasing so the value goes up over the long term. Wink

Seriously?

the difficulty goes up every 2016 blocks so that Bitcoin becomes harder to mine
A) You understand diff as well as the OP
B) You had the answer even more in front of your face but amazingly still got it wrong...

When something is harder to get, it becomes more rare. When something becomes more rare, its value goes up.
A) Supply AND demand, can't have one without the other...
B) Bitcoin is actually increasing in supply approx every 10 minutes...

Hence the point of difficulty increasing so the value goes up over the long term. Wink
Ok this one is just fucking funny.
A) You have no clue what "the point of difficulty" is
B) What would happen to the difficulty if coin/usd price crashed to $100 tomorrow and stayed there for 2 years?

Your post really had no value add to the discussion and I'm pretty sure your a sig spammer looking for PC's.  You really didn't deserve a response but to be honest some other beginner who is actually reading and not posting (if they still exist!) might read your post and actually believe some of it.
Pakar11220

Activity: 140

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 09:45:36 AM

I don't think so it is difficult. Like think yourself that it is really difficult or not.

▂▂▃▃  TRADE CRYPTOCURRENCIES | INDEXES | FUNDS ▃▃▂▂
●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬● BITOTAL.COM ●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●
░▒▓█ DEPOSIT BONUS | 0% TRADE FEES | WIDE COIN OFFER | EXCLUSIVE ICO'S █▓▒░
[/
KronkorkenCoinz

Activity: 9

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 09:46:55 AM

I guess you know the answer, but let me try to answer this with my words (hope my english is okay).
The Coin-/ Mining-Difficulty will be calculated for BitCoin as followed:
1 Block should be found every 10 minutes.
After (every) 2016 blocks the BitCoin-Network will check how long it took to find these 2016 blocks.
Let's say the BitCoin-Project has started a few weeks ago and you are the only BitCoin-Miner and your machine has a Hashrate of 1 GH/s.
The difficulty is 139.70 at this moment, so how long would the network (means you, cause you are the only miner) need to find 2016 blocks?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You start your machine with 1 GH/s Hashing-Power, the result will be (frist 2016 blocks):
Check-Intervall = 2016 blocks
Hashrate = 1,000,000,000 Hashes/s
Diff = 139.70
Time per Block = (Diff * (2^32)) / Hashrate
Time per Block = (139.70 * (2^32)) / 1,000,000,000
Time per Block = 600.0069313 seconds
Time for 2016 Blocks = Time per Block * Check-Intervall
Time for 2016 Blocks = 600.0069313 * 2016
Time for 2016 Blocks = 1,209,613.973 seconds
Time for 2016 Blocks = 14 days (1,209,613.973 / 60 / 60 / 24; rounded)

If it would be exact 14 days, the BitCoin-Network will NOT change the difficulty (so the next 2016 blocks, the difficulty will still 139.70).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But if you start now 2 machines with 2 GH/s Hashing-Power the result will be (seconds 2016 blocks):
Hashrate = 2,000,000,000 Hashes/s
Diff = 139.70
Time per Block = (139.70 * (2^32)) / 2,000,000,000
Time per Block = 300.0034656 seconds
Time for 2016 Blocks = 300.0034656 * 2016
Time for 2016 Blocks = 604,806.9867 seconds
Time for 2016 Blocks = 7 days (604,806.9867 / 60 / 60 / 24; rounded)

So the network (your 2 machines) solved the blocks too fast, after only 7 days you found the 2016 blocks, the BitCoin-Network will now increase the difficulty by 100%.

So if you still have your 2 machines with 2 GH/s Hashing-Power the result will be (third 2016 blocks):
Hashrate = 2,000,000,000 Hashes/s
Diff = LastDiff + Increase
Diff = 139.70 + 100%
Diff = 279.40
Time per Block = (279.40 * (2^32)) / 2,000,000,000
Time per Block = 600.0069313 seconds
Time for 2016 Blocks = 600.0069313 * 2016
Time for 2016 Blocks = 1,209,613.973 seconds
Time for 2016 Blocks = 14 days (1,209,613.973 / 60 / 60 / 24; rounded)

Now you should solve the 2016 block in 14 days. Because there are many Miners the overall network hashrate (at this moment 6,506,281,489 GH/s) will change everytime, so you can calculate the next difficulty at the current moment, but this will change after a few seconds.

Summary:
+10% Hashing-Power (overall in network) since last Diff-Set = +10% Difficulty at next set (after reaching the next 2016 blocks)
-10% Hashing-Power (overall in network) since last Diff-Set = -10% Difficulty at next set (after reaching the next 2016 blocks)

But the difficulty will only change every 2016 blocks (for BitCoin), which means after the last difficulty set, the difficulty will NOT change until the next 2016 blocks will be reached.

Maybe this helps someone Wink

Greetings
Paul
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.