Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:03:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best bitcoin offline wallet?  (Read 747 times)
trinitya (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 09:43:49 AM

Been looking for best offline hardware wallets and have seen the Nano Ledger wallet on this site http://www.fastbuybitcoin.com/where-to-buy-bitcoin

Does anyone know of any others they can recommend? Or if they have experience with the Ledger wallet? I'm quite new to the Bitcoin world but want the safest option for my private keys. Cheers

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4917

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2017, 09:44:59 AM

Been looking for best offline hardware wallets and have seen the Nano Ledger wallet on this site http://www.fastbuybitcoin.com/where-to-buy-bitcoin

Does anyone know of any others they can recommend? Or if they have experience with the Ledger wallet? I'm quite new to the Bitcoin world but want the safest option for my private keys. Cheers

I currently own a ledger nano S and a ledger HW.1 (this one has been discontinued). I love both of them.
I used to own a trezor... It was really nice to, albeit a little bit more expensive than my ledger wallets.

I would recommand both Smiley

If you're in the US, you can buy a trezor directly from the manufacturer.... Same goes for the ledger, but AFAIK, they're currently out of stock

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
anon4250158

Activity: 266
Merit: 256

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 10:06:03 AM

I've been core since I started with bitcoin.  The blockchain has ballooned significantly and takes forever to sync (try bootstrapping- if you don't have 150GB, core isn't for you), but I like the coin control features and it's as secure as they get.
BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2017, 10:08:40 AM

offline wallets are not just hardware wallets!
a cold storage is a more wider category than that. a simple definition would be practically any wallet that never connects to the internet.
it can be any wallet installed on an always offline and clean computer. or it can simply be your private keys printed on a paper aka paper wallet.

for different purposes you can choose one of these. a hardware wallet is a good choice if you are willing to pay and also want to take the easy and safe route. because obviously the other methods like making a paper wallet is not as easy.

--looking for signature--
aTriz

Activity: 1218
Merit: 683

Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 10:16:54 AM

The big hardware wallets out there are probably the Ledger Nano S and the trezor. One of my friends was lucky enough to get a Ledger when it was on promotion and he got it for only 40 pounds. I am thinking of getting one when they are available again.

Trezors are more expensive though, keep that in mind. Would recommend both, since they are both high-quality wallets and they give access to your private keys which is always good.

AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 10:19:17 AM

Bitcoin Core

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
Natsuu

Activity: 1106
Merit: 158

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 10:25:07 AM

Definitely electrum. Been using for months and haven't found any issues.
The best offline wallet for me.
You can just download it through your smart phones and computer.

mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4917

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2017, 10:49:35 AM

I currently own a ledger nano S and a ledger HW.1 (this one has been discontinued). I love both of them.
I used to own a trezor... It was really nice to, albeit a little bit more expensive than my ledger wallets.

I would recommand both Smiley

If you're in the US, you can buy a trezor directly from the manufacturer.... Same goes for the ledger, but AFAIK, they're currently out of stock

I have ordered Ledger nano s. Shipment is expected at 15th September. Can I ask you a few questions?

1. Can I recover all addresses using a single seed?
2. How many bitcoin addresses can it hold?
3. Can I use f.e. MyCelium without revealing my private keys to my device?

Sure, all questions are welcome... To answer yours:

1) depends what you mean by this question... When you initialise your ledger, you are presented with a seed phrase. This seed phrase is converted to an xprv/xpub... These keys are used to derive all other private keys => public keys => addresses. So, if you mean "do you only need to save your seed phrase in order to recover your wallet", the answer is "yes". If you mean: "can you recover ALL addresses, including the ones not derived from the xpub", the answer is no

2) more than you'll ever need Wink Theoretically, there is a maximum amount, but you can generate a new address every minute for many years without running out...

3) i use electrum together with my ledger... Not sure about mycelium tough.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
leonair

Activity: 1218
Merit: 390

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 11:01:42 AM

As I using offline wallet I will recommend to you Electrum Wallet just because it is easy to use and simple to manipulate, you don't need to download or sync bitcoin blockchain unlike to Bitcoin Core. It also auto measure your fee when sending transactions. I used this for more like 1 year now and there is no problem at all.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Mkmanik

Activity: 986
Merit: 516

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 12:55:05 PM

there are a lot of Bitcoin wallet, take a look here: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet here you will get all information about Bitcoin wallet.I am a regular user of online wallet, but i know that this link can help you a lot.Try to understand and take help from google. You can easily found a lot of video about how to set up those wallets.Best regards
DoublerHunter

Activity: 2590
Merit: 644

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 01:22:08 PM

The best offline wallet that i know so far are the hardware wallets like ledger nano s which is like a usb stick but it is a cold storage for a lot of cryptocurrencies so you don't need to put them online and worry about getting hacked because you just need to buy one of that hardware wallet and store those coins in that wallet then feel secure and comfortable.
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2017, 01:32:19 PM

Personally, I prefer to use Paper Wallets for Offline/Cold storage. Import the Key when I want to spend then send the change to a new paper wallet.

You can use Mycelium wallet on a tablet and import a paper wallet as well.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 03:45:11 PM

As I using offline wallet I will recommend to you Electrum Wallet just because it is easy to use and simple to manipulate, you don't need to download or sync bitcoin blockchain unlike to Bitcoin Core. It also auto measure your fee when sending transactions. I used this for more like 1 year now and there is no problem at all.
Plain wrong. You don't need to download the blockchain to create an offline wallet. Even more: As soon as the computer, which creates the offline wallet, is online it is NOT called "offline wallet" anymore.

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
bit-freedom

Activity: 658
Merit: 256

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 03:56:38 PM

Ledger Nano S is a good choice, in term of cost and handy design. The features are similar to the trezor but both have small screen. I use ledger blue as I find it easier to navigate.

Check out the video guide in setting up Ledger Nano S.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GjDBz1Fs7JE
SkustaClee

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 06:52:49 AM

In our country coin.ph is trusted wallet in philippines bevuase of that many people in my country use this but for me sometimes i use my fb to save all my accounts bevuase many wallets now are fake.
kelstasy

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

Blocklancer - Freelance on the Blockchain Close

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 07:27:50 AM

I'm also planning to get hardware wallet but for now using Electrum since I have no plans for using it for purchases just for savings, it's light lightweight as stated above no need to download the block chain and I believe you can adjust or set the fee/s.

★★★★★★★ BLOCKLANCER ★★★★★★★
★ Freelance on the BlockchainVISIT US! JOIN BOUNTY
The first Decentralized Autonomous Job market (DAJ)
maokoto

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2017, 07:34:07 AM

I also use Electrum, but that is not really offline. The best, cheaper offline wallet possible I can think of are paper wallets. Although I am quite sure that original poster is not asking about that really.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: