Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:34:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nuclear Energy. Do you want more or less?  (Read 3592 times)
epi 1:10,000 (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 02:12:41 AM

http://www.ted.com/talks/debate_does_the_world_need_nuclear_energy.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 02:29:40 AM

Energy is the basis of all economic activity.  So of course the world needs more energy, not less.  And of course, until solar and wind can scale up, nuclear is the safest and cleanest large-scale source of energy, by at least an order of magnitude.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 03:01:43 AM

Nuclear Energy. Do you want more or less?
I want better

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Samantha2011

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 03:09:46 AM

Nuclear Energy. Do you want more or less?
I want better
Check your PMs.  Smiley
Schleicher

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 05:42:27 AM

As long as a bunch of greedy bastards is running the power plants: no, thanks.
At least not in densely populated areas like europe.

LokeRundt

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 09:46:41 AM

If the costs were internalized instead of being offloaded on taxpayers, then yes.  Let those who want/afford the true cost of nuclear energy pay for it, let the rest of us invest in energy technologies that do not threaten our species/planet

Hippy Anarchy
*shrug*
compro01

Activity: 590

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 03:05:50 PM

more, but get rid of these damn 1st generation cobblefests and use decent designs (e.g. CANDU and others)
Tawsix

Activity: 210

I have always been afraid of banks.

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 03:12:32 PM

Breeder reactors.  Many breeder reactors.  Many private breeder reactors.  Thousands of them.

realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 03:17:47 PM

Thorium reactors.  Mmmm.

When they were designing nuclear reactors, Thorium was an option.  The reason they didn't go with it?  You can't make weapons-grade plutonium in a Thorium reactor.

Other than that, Thorium reactors would be cleaner, more efficient and cheaper.  The insanity of governments and greenies is that they would rather invest in impractical and ultimately unworkable wind power than Thorium research.  When that money's wasted they will go with tested Uranium technology because that's all they'll have time for.

How I love giving them my money.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
AntiVigilante

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 07:56:28 PM

I love you people.

You make me proud.

Proposal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11541.msg162881#msg162881
Inception: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/296
Goal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12536.0
Means: Code, donations, and brutal criticism. I've got a thick skin. 1Gc3xCHAzwvTDnyMW3evBBr5qNRDN3DRpq
compro01

Activity: 590

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 08:19:49 PM

Thorium reactors.  Mmmm.

When they were designing nuclear reactors, Thorium was an option.  The reason they didn't go with it?  You can't make weapons-grade plutonium in a Thorium reactor.

Other than that, Thorium reactors would be cleaner, more efficient and cheaper.  The insanity of governments and greenies is that they would rather invest in impractical and ultimately unworkable wind power than Thorium research.  When that money's wasted they will go with tested Uranium technology because that's all they'll have time for.

How I love giving them my money.

further reason why CANDU is an awesome design.

runs on lightly enriched or unenriched uranium, LWR/PWR waste, plutoniun, and even thorium.
rafval

Activity: 18

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 08:22:37 PM

If the costs were internalized instead of being offloaded on taxpayers, then yes.  Let those who want/afford the true cost of nuclear energy pay for it, let the rest of us invest in energy technologies that do not threaten our species/planet
this is the solution and why very few are being built now, reality happened
cothoms

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 08:38:51 PM

more, but get rid of these damn 1st generation cobblefests and use decent designs (e.g. CANDU and others)

Absolutely. 

The #1 issue blocking expansion of nuclear power is actually capital.  It takes so much money to get a nuke plant running, but new designs, such as modular plants, allow plug-n-play additions, so companies can use the first installment as a way to generate income to finance the next installment, and so on and so forth. 

Fear of Chernobyl 2.0 is irrational as these new power plant designs are exponentially safer.

But, as with most things in life, the path to nuclear power expansion lies with the national government.  Government will be the rudder that steers the nuclear power ship.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:51:19 PM

As long as a bunch of greedy bastards is running the power plants: no, thanks.
At least not in densely populated areas like europe.

nuclear plants are still safer (injures/kills less) than fossil fuel plants

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Grant

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 11:15:58 PM

I want more, specifically i want more 1st generation under the government building in my country.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 12:15:49 AM

i want less.

my reasoning has little to do with proliferation, site leakage dangers, pollution, et alia - although i abhor them all.

actually, i approach the issue of nuclear power in the same way that i approach Bitcoin.  politically.

i see no difference in petro-based, hydro-based, hydrogen-based or nuclear-based energy infrastructures.  they are all too big, and the only possible winners in those games are huge corporations - who vie to rule the world on an equal footing with governments.  no individual can afford to refine his own oil, build her own reactor, create a dam that will power his life (when including the costs of water rights), or tinker together a high-pressure hydrogen environment at home.

i favor (and work for) solar and wind powered systems - because they can be scaled down profitably to a granular level.  yes:  large corporations can build them and sell the power - but individuals can too; and almost as effectively.

solar and wind power can be decentralized, yet retain full functionality - just as Bitcoin can be and does.

gosh that seems simple...
Schleicher

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 12:19:14 AM

Yeah, right.
Tell that to the people living near Chernobyl.

tehcodez

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 12:22:37 AM

Yeah, right.

That was a soviet design :-)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 12:39:26 AM

Yeah, right.

No one who lived near Chernobyl died or contracted cancer as a direct result of their proximity.  Chernobyl was a bad accident, but contrary to popular belief, an American coal plant releases more radioactive material into the air each year than Chernobyl did.  The problem was that Chernobyl was doing it in concentration as well as would have continued doing so so long as the fire continued.  Coal contains large amounts of thorium and uranium naturally, and there is no way to get them out before burning it.  So some portion of those elements do end up in the exhaust.  I've been employed in both types of power plants in the United States, including the oldest coal fired power plant still licensed in the United States, Beckjord Power Plant, and I can honestly say that I would much rather live near a nuke plant than a coal plant.  Yes, there is a small chance that said nuke plant could be mismanaged and have an incident that harms my children; but that's a certainty if you live downwind from a coal plant.  Go tour a coal plant, nothing green grows within a quarter mile of the stack.  Nothing.

EDIT:  BTW, Chernobyl continued to produce power for another 15 years or so before being mothballed.  Only the affected reactor was closed immediately.  There is no evidence that employees that worked at Chernobyl after the incident were exposed to any more radiation than their peers at any other nuke plants.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 12:46:40 AM

Yeah, right.

yeah right, tell that to the people living near thousands of coal power plants.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: