Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:29:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2018-08-14] London Police Shut Down Scam Crypto Call Centre Based Next to Bank  (Read 3039 times)
Diced90 (OP)

Activity: 994
Merit: 515

Get'em boys

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 12:18:56 PM

London Police Shut Down Scam Crypto Call Centre Based Next to Bank of England

A call centre in the middle of London, purporting to sell fake digital currencies, has been shut down by the City’s police.

Having set up their ‘boiler room’ in the City's famous square mile, on Old Broad Street, which is around the corner from the Bank of England, the fraudsters would cold call potential investors in hopes of enticing them to invest in the boom of digital currencies.

Nonexistent currency
The police have held a suspect who is accused of trying to entice victims to invest in a fictional cryptocurrency.

The police say:

"Victims were cold called by salespeople who allegedly persuaded them to invest in a cryptocurrency that does not exist and is therefore worthless.”

It is believed that the fraudsters were successful, and lucrative, as they were reported by nine victims to Action Fraud after losing an estimated £160,000 in total.

Readmore https://cointelegraph.com/news/london-police-shut-down-scam-crypto-call-centre-based-next-to-bank-of-england
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CryptoBry

Activity: 1008
Merit: 355

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 04:52:45 PM

i am wondering what can be the name of the cryptocurrency this call center was selling their clients. Actually, they can just call it as SCAMCoin and I am sure there can still be interested buyers. Now, its good thing that there was probably a complaint that lead to this shutting down by the authorities. This was a hard-faced act of using cryptocurrency to their advantage and they should use more sophisticated strategies to avoid detection...maybe these people are just amateurs in the scamming game.
btc_angela

Activity: 2590
Merit: 542

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 03:19:38 AM

i am wondering what can be the name of the cryptocurrency this call center was selling their clients. Actually, they can just call it as SCAMCoin and I am sure there can still be interested buyers. Now, its good thing that there was probably a complaint that lead to this shutting down by the authorities. This was a hard-faced act of using cryptocurrency to their advantage and they should use more sophisticated strategies to avoid detection...maybe these people are just amateurs in the scamming game.

Since crytocurrency is more popular than ever, criminals will tend to used it to there advantage. That's how they worked, long for something that can easily enticed people and later on they found out that this is a scam. But this looks amateurish to me as well because they thought that they can easily get away with it. Would love to know what is the name of the coin as well. LOL. But if people are investing, then I would assume that crypto in general are slowly creeping in the ordinary public now.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████