Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:44:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How long will my gpu last?  (Read 2693 times)
Metalrocker24 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 05:51:13 AM

I have been using a r9 290.It's around 3 years old.How long will it last?It's not overclocked or watercooled.I've been using it for  gaming mainly.I started mining recently.The maximum temperature it rises to is 94 degrees.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ludwish

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 06:38:08 AM

My 7990 has lasted four years. I do not overclock them.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2017, 07:24:55 AM
Last edit: August 20, 2017, 04:21:49 AM by Undefined31415

I have mined using a number of low-mid range 7000 series cards since 2012, and not one of them has failed, to this day. (They had about 6 months off around 2014-2015, where I disassembled my rig and put everything back in the original packaging.) I did mess with clock settings, but never used BIOS mods (I'm actually not aware of any popular ones that were available back then) or changed voltage settings.

Nobody can tell you exactly how long your specific card will last, as all chips are different. However, there are things you can do to extend its expected life span.

Keep the core temps down. I assume you meant 94 degrees in Celsius, and that is far too hot, especially for extended periods of time. (It's important to remember that most cards were not meant to be pegged 24/7.) If you're using a case, put it on its side and remove the side panel for better ventilation (take appropriate precautions for curious pets or other possible problems). Try to keep it below 70C, although that might not be realistic for a card that powerful without removing it from the case and adding some fans.

If you haven't dusted out your computer for a long time, I'd recommend that you do that as well. It can help with airflow and relieve some stress from your fans.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
andreysmol

Activity: 48

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2017, 08:41:40 AM

1070 are still rocking about 1year and 3 months;)
civilufo

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 09:14:29 AM

1070 are still rocking about 1year and 3 months;)

Good to know because I also own a 1070, worry about duration of usage. BTW, do you overclock your 1070? And how about the average temperature?

vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3506

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 02:44:26 PM
Last edit: August 15, 2017, 03:02:32 PM by vapourminer

keep them cool (low 70s or under i keep mine in the mid 60s)  undervolt them. make sure they are on a GOOD psu (for the better voltage regulation). dont run fans over 80-85% it doesnt cool any better and will just kill the bearings faster, especially cheap sleeve bearings. but buy cards with ball bearing fans as they just last and last.

no reason why you can get years out of them. my HD6870 and two HD5830s went a few years 24/7 during btc/ltc mining days. they still work.

my original mining card, a HD4850 single slot blower fan, the fan did die on it after about a year at 90+% fan speed. stuck an after market cooler on it and put it in a gaming rig i gave to a friend. worked for a couple more years gaming till he built a newer game machine.

oldest currently mining card is a sapphire 390 nitro, two years old i think. still running fine.

back in my folding@home days I had two GTX8800 gpus go for a couple years 24/7. they are still working last time i fired them up about 6 months ago.

probably the best investment you can make for gpu longevity (aside from some good fans blowing at the rig) is using a high quality psu. it will provide your cards with clean power. junk psus put trash on the lines that will slowly degrade the gpus, as well as the rest of the system. cant hurt use a good surge suppressor or do as i have done, install a whole house surge suppressor.

TrumpD

Activity: 602
Merit: 265

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 03:52:55 PM

Well, it depends. If you keep your gpu in low temps, it can last 10 years. consumer CPU's used to have a MTBF (mean time before failure) of 5 years, but Intel no longer specifies the MTBF of their CPU's, from what I hear.
coinzoid

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 08:16:14 PM

If you clean your gpus regularly and use it on a well air-conditioned (non-humid) environment i think they can last long. I have used RX series gpus for months and they were pretty good until I sold them all Smiley
h00l1gan

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

come to the dark side

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 08:29:06 PM

The maximum temperature it rises to is 94 degrees.
That's a lot. I am trying to keep mine gpu around 70-75 degrees
Ludwish

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 02:55:56 PM

The maximum temperature it rises to is 94 degrees.
That's a lot. I am trying to keep mine gpu around 70-75 degrees

I run at those temperatures when the fan speed is about 40-50%.
totko

Activity: 33

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 08:38:54 PM

94 is too much it wont last for long set the cooler to max 100% arround 70-75 max 80 would be normal!
Vyazhan

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 08:48:12 PM

I have been using a r9 290.It's around 3 years old.How long will it last?It's not overclocked or watercooled.I've been using it for  gaming mainly.I started mining recently.The maximum temperature it rises to is 94 degrees.

Use watercooling if you want to go long with your GPUs Smiley

It's a bigger initial investment, but it pays in the long-term and the maintenance is less of a hassle than with aircooling imho!
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 09:04:21 PM

My GTX 1060-s one 3GB and one 6GB, both Palit StormX are running and mining 24/7 since beginning of January, their temp is down to 66 degree celsius with fans at 75%.

My GTX 1050 ti is running since early April running and mining 24/7

Both are heavily overclocked, core clock +250 and memory clock +950. Mining Zcash very happy with them but I don't know how long they will last. Should be about 2 years I believe as minimum since I am keeping their temperature below 70 degree celsius.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 09:13:37 PM

I am with the majority here in that if you treat them right they should last for a very long time. By keeping temperatures in check 70C or under is a good target along with using a good quality PSU as others have mentioned. Cheap PSUs can really shorten the lifespan as the power output can really be all over the place. Check http://www.jonnyguru.com/ for more information on this.

Keeping dust and dirt buildup to a minimum is important to not only to help keep things cool, but to prolong the life of your fans as well as help protect against humidity. Dust and dirt will attract and retain moisture along with the corrosive effects they can have on your GPUs over time. Going with this, is to keep them in an environment that will not be super humid. You do get a benefit here in with the heat the cards put out, a lot of them in a shed or garage can keep the surrounding air a good 10-20 degrees warmer than outside, and since warm air hold more moisture than cooler air, you can often keep humidity in check somewhat. The danger is if the power goes out for any length of time.

Ideally the best environment for your GPUs would be indoors in an air conditioned setting, but this is not always possible, especially for larger deployments. But even here, if you can keep humidity down, and address the other issues above, you can be successful. I have many GPUs going on their second year in a garage that is exposed to not only the heat of the summer but also the cold of the winter.

I guess I cannot attest to how long they will ultimately work out there but so far there have been no problems. I also have some GPUs that lived their first couple of years inside, and some of those are now among the garage dwellers, so they have a good 3-4 years on them and still going strong. Some of the earliest cards like the 7950's and 7970's needed to have some fans swapped out here and there, but an extra $8 in parts every now and then I view just as preventative maintenance more that I would as a card failure.
Ultegra134

Activity: 1540
Merit: 744

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 09:44:11 PM

What's your average temperature? 94C is way too high, especially if they are running with that temperature most of the time. Try to keep yours under 80C at least, at 70's or under that it would be ideal, but it's not always possible.

Also, make sure your tower's case filters are clean and the case isn't full of dust. I would recommend to have your fans at 100%, it will wear them out quicker but it will keep the temperature down, even on 100%, the fans will last from 2-3 years, you might not even be using these cards anymore and even if you do, the fans are pretty cheap part to replace.

I have my 2x R7 260x's overclocked using MSI Afterburner, without altering the voltage, fans on 100%. Depending on the room temperature, I'm usually getting 78C~ on the one GPU and 75C~ on the other one. The highest I've seen was 84C, mostly during midday, when it's hotter.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
koody

Activity: 114
Merit: 20

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 10:14:24 PM

My HD 7950 is running since Octuber 2011, still working.
greaterninja

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 12:48:29 AM

Most of my 7950 cards have worked since late 2012.
Fans started to break down or make more noise.
My 7990 from 2012 is still running like a champ.
All cards have been overclocked.
OTOH my 7870 from 2013 died.  You can also buy replacement fans on ebay too.  Be prepared to break your screw drivers as some of the screws are cemented in.

I would say expect 3-10 years out of your video cards.
frostedace

Activity: 39

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 01:00:56 AM

Use watercooling if you want to go long with your GPUs Smiley

It's a bigger initial investment, but it pays in the long-term and the maintenance is less of a hassle than with aircooling imho!

Not to mention you can scoop up cards with a water-block preinstalled for less than ones with fans. If your like me and have to spread them out in your house because of power limitations, then having them quiet is definitely a plus.
BennyT

Activity: 259
Merit: 108

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 04:00:12 AM

I put a box fan on my rigs and always keep my temps in the 55-65 degree region. A cool GPU is a happy GPU. My cards last me for years. I'll run them cooler over max performance because going through warranty is always a pain in the butt and time consuming.
llzzyy234

Activity: 54

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 04:37:16 AM

3 years?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: