Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:09:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How big will this Satellite project be?
Very Big. - 22 (45.8%)
Big. - 8 (16.7%)
O.K. - 6 (12.5%)
Small. - 6 (12.5%)
Very Small. - 3 (6.3%)
No Clue. - 3 (6.3%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockstream's Bitcoin Satelite WWW w/ OuterNet USB Reciever.  (Read 20097 times)
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 03:32:12 PM
Last edit: September 21, 2020, 06:09:02 PM by Searing
Merited by vapourminer (12), chimk (4), ABCbits (1), Husna QA (1)

======================================================================================
Revised 9/20/2020 New Unit in Pre-Order with New Links below. Also supposedly the older unit below will also work with patches/upgrades
======================================================================================

My thanks to LAST OF THE V8's for pointing this out on this thread. I had no 'frigging' idea! Smiley Pretty cool looking toy 2.0 is I must say!

Info on units and prices for both Pro and Reg versions below.

Blockstream Satellite Basic Kit: A consumer-grade satellite receiver, ready to connect a Bitcoin node at home. Requires a computer running Linux, e.g. a Raspberry Pi, to process the received broadcasts. Pre-sale: $279 / RRP: $299

Blockstream Satellite Pro Kit: Rack-mountable professional hardware that supports all the features of the Basic Kit, with additional dual-satellite capability for more reliable and faster data transfers, and multicasting (more on this below). Provides Bitcoin data to multiple devices on the same network. Pre-sale: $749 / RRP: $799

Blockstream Satellite Flat Panel Antenna: A flat-panel antenna array with integrated LNB offers a stylish alternative to a satellite TV dish. Users in the Asia-Pacific region should contact support to check compatibility before purchasing. Pre-sale: $179 / RRP: $199

https://blockstream.com/2020/05/04/en-announcing-blockstream-satellite-2/

A review here on the setup and how well it all works. https://blog.bitmex.com/bitcoin-satellite/

as of 9.21.2020

enjoy

Brad

==========================
Revised 12/20/2018 with new links below!
==========================

Satellite Service. Wow!

Comments, by those with better tech knowledge on this kinda thing, please.

Edit: I have one of the below USB Receivers. I think it was $100 bucks. Got it to play with months ago. Guess it is time to fire this hobby USB Satellite Reciever
Up!

Note 12/20/2018: My unit is still in the box, with the BTC crash in 2018, not had a lot of time with 'panic'ing' to delve into this. Hopefully, the links below
help with those in the weeds on these kinds of units.

----------------------------------------------------

whew! new links 12/20/2018

https://blockstream.com/2017/08/15/announcing-blockstream-satellite.html

https://othernet.is/

https://forums.othernet.is/

https://www.cryptoglobe.com/latest/2018/12/bitcoin-broken-free-from-isps-by-blockstream-satellite-connection-new-api/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to Saint-loop https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=975910 on Bitcointalk here for the below additional links. Smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://hackernoon.com/building-your-own-bitcoin-satellite-node-6061d3c93e7

https://medium.com/@notgrubles/building-your-own-bitcoin-satellite-node-part-2-software-installation-a94a0b85d089

https://hackernoon.com/building-your-own-bitcoin-satellite-node-part-3-dish-alignment-1306b4c21326

-----------------------------------------------------

The original picture of the kit I got at the start of this thread below.

Revised 09/21/2020

Brad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 03:46:17 PM

Saved for further tech links.

Blockstream Satellite Service (Free!)

https://blockstream.com/2017/08/15/announcing-blockstream-satellite.html

OuterNet Discussion Forum. (Free!)

https://forums.outernet.is

OuterNet USB Satellite Reciever Kit ($125 Approximately)

https://store.outernet.is

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Longsnowsm

Activity: 868
Merit: 517

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 04:21:25 PM

I would be interested in seeing how this works also.  Would be cool to see a tutorial on how to assemble and make this rig work.

Thanks for the links.  I will have to check them out. 
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6505

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2017, 04:55:59 PM

I'm told that you will need a satellite dish and not just a small receiver like the one you pictured as the signal is quite weak. But if that works for you, great!

Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 07:03:58 PM

I'm told that you will need a satellite dish and not just a small receiver like the one you pictured as the signal is quite weak. But if that works for you, great!

Well supposedly this is for Satellite stuff. But then again you could be correct. I have a
Link to the outernet forum in above posts. Someone could ask somebody with one to point
it at the proper Satellite from the blockstream thread. Also in above posts

If you do need a bigger dish they are common and used on eBay. I saw how to use
the OuterNet via those instead. I still think this unit is likely to work on the USA Satellite in
the above links with only the small Reciever plate.

Cloud27

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 02:02:20 PM

I have no knowledge about satellite technology, but my concern is, are those devices capable of transmitting data or for receiving only? Much better if its design in two way link.
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 03:33:14 PM

I have no knowledge about satellite technology, but my concern is, are those devices capable of transmitting data or for receiving only? Much better if its design in two way link.

Recieve only. But for wallet use w/cell phone likely cheap and untraceable in a corrupt
Country with cell phone prepaid. Comes to mind anyway.

thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 04:15:37 PM

Recieve only. But for wallet use w/cell phone likely cheap and untraceable in a corrupt

But what if you are in North Korea?  I was wondering if it would be possible to make the first transaction ever in Best Korea now that there are satellites broadcasting the blockchain.

But you say these devices only receive data. If so then how do you broadcast your transaction back into the blockchain if internet is blocked on the entire country and there are no wifi signals or anything? Let alone the fact that there aren't even computers or cellphones.

You would need a tourist to smuggle you a phone with wallet software installed, but even then, what do you exactly do with it?

I wonder who will be the first to manage to broadcast a bitcoin transaction in North Korea, that would be epic.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2017, 04:34:01 PM

the OuterNet via those instead. I still think this unit is likely to work on the USA Satellite in
I think you could just use a DirectTV satellite dish. There are tons of those on buildings around where I live, and a lot of them probably aren't in use.

But what if you are in North Korea?  I was wondering if it would be possible to make the first transaction ever in Best Korea now that there are satellites broadcasting the blockchain.

But you say these devices only receive data. If so then how do you broadcast your transaction back into the blockchain if internet is blocked on the entire country and there are no wifi signals or anything? Let alone the fact that there aren't even computers or cellphones.

You would need a tourist to smuggle you a phone with wallet software installed, but even then, what do you exactly do with it?

I wonder who will be the first to manage to broadcast a bitcoin transaction in North Korea, that would be epic.
It is currently receive only because transmitting to the satellite requires a lot of power and extra stuff that most people won't be able to get. The satellite is best for those who have a poor internet connection; they can't download the blockchain because it is too big, but they can still broadcast transactions as those are tiny. The satellite allows those people to also be able to get the blockchain (well part of it, only new blocks right now)

craZyLovE0916

Activity: 588
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 07:29:38 AM

Many people thinking this will never happen and it is all just hype. I must admit it is hard to believe such technology would come this early for Bitcoin. Heck, many countries do not even have widespread internet but they will be able to transact Bitcoin. haha
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 08:58:20 AM

Many people thinking this will never happen and it is all just hype. I must admit it is hard to believe such technology would come this early for Bitcoin. Heck, many countries do not even have widespread internet but they will be able to transact Bitcoin. haha

Well, the outernet USB satellite receiver you see on the 1st post...I got that as a 100 buck toy a few months back and never played with it

so such exists .... you supposedly can use this to download a bunch of stuff like facebook etc and cache it and update news weather etc

good for an RV etc....

but again to put data back up to the internet you'd need a cell phone or cell phone hot spot or some such

just saying..the unit is 'supposed' to suck stuff down in mass amounts to look at offline

thus even if slow speed inet the other way....that only has to be thru a cell phone and fast enough to update your wallet and take your moving BTC about

it is probably a big step forward ..where even older flip phones are still in use

AS to the hype...it depends...if the bandwidth was 'donated' by Richard Branston (virgin) or some such (he is into satellites) this very well could be the real deal

I guess I'm gonna have to get my act together and get on the outernet forum and get this thing up and try it (no time I have no frigging time)

That is why I have one of these OuterNet units and it has sat on the shelf for 4 months plus

too much work/projects/toys etc

achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2017, 04:08:09 PM

It's already happening. It was already working and happening when it was announced. It isn't just hype; there are instructions for how to set up your own stuff now since it is already broadcasting now. People have already set up receivers and are receiving blocks.

The satellite is best for places where you have a low bandwidth and poor internet connection. That type of internet connection is too poor to support running a full node, but is fine for sending transactions as transactions are small. The satellite then allows you to receive blocks through something other than a poor internet connection.

thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 05:51:03 PM

I think you could just use a DirectTV satellite dish. There are tons of those on buildings around where I live, and a lot of them probably aren't in use.

But what if you are in North Korea?  I was wondering if it would be possible to make the first transaction ever in Best Korea now that there are satellites broadcasting the blockchain.

It is currently receive only because transmitting to the satellite requires a lot of power and extra stuff that most people won't be able to get. The satellite is best for those who have a poor internet connection; they can't download the blockchain because it is too big, but they can still broadcast transactions as those are tiny. The satellite allows those people to also be able to get the blockchain (well part of it, only new blocks right now)

Well the next step then for true global reach is to develop a way to be able to send and receive data from the satellites with realistic gear. That would be a way to not depend on the internet at all. Some sort of device that allows you to do some basic transactions, ideally modular so you can smuggle parts in totalitarian countries like Best Korea.

Imagine how cool it would be to be transacting inside that country, now that would be disruption.
Cloud27

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 03:37:54 AM

Since it is set up as a receiver only, can I use it to surf on any website on the internet or it is only used for blockchain or bitcoin transaction? Or can I use it to download but I cannot use it to upload data? Totally no idea here how the sattelite internet works.
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 04:05:48 AM

Since it is set up as a receiver only, can I use it to surf on any website on the internet or it is only used for blockchain or bitcoin transaction? Or can I use it to download but I cannot use it to upload data? Totally no idea here how the sattelite internet works.

it is satellite feed download for all of the internet...I got this months ago...saw the blockstream satellite announcement and they said satellite USB reciever..which is what this is and said

hey..I got that

so, should probably after 5 months or so look at it

people use this to at least watch CNN or weather or some such with their RV's etc ...download and look kinda thing.....if you have to get on  a website

or have info back ...well they use the cell phone for that I guess

anyway, was like 100 bucks when I got mine...so I assume it can be used for the purposes of this thread also

ninza

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2017, 02:49:17 AM

So if I have an old satellite cable dish I could theoretically use it to receive blocks from the satellite?

If yes, is there any tutorials you guys are aware of to set that up?
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 04:21:42 AM

But what if you are in North Korea?  I was wondering if it would be possible to make the first transaction ever in Best Korea now that there are satellites broadcasting the blockchain.

Every body in 3rd world seems to have cell phone. Or community share. See Venezuela.

They are a lot cheaper than here.

Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 04:23:24 AM

So if I have an old satellite cable dish I could theoretically use it to receive blocks from the satellite?

You'd need the OuterNet devices in pic above in thread. Cost probably as much
just to buy the OuterNet package and if the bigger dish is better use it. See their forum links
in thread above, ask there.

xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1041

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 04:20:38 PM

The README from the git repository should tell you pretty much everything you need to know:

https://github.com/Blockstream/satellite

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 01:21:09 PM

Well has anyone set anything up yet to see if you can download this blockstream blockchain via satellite setup of any flavor?

I should do such but have no frigging time as of late

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: