Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:08:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 2.0 - Bitcoin backed by "junk silver" - coin dealers become exchanges  (Read 3483 times)
dutt

Activity: 135
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2011, 05:28:06 AM

That's not even Bitcoin that is just e-gold offshore.

In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2011, 05:35:17 AM

Dude, just trade junk silver for bitcoins. In 2.0 are you going to make people put up silver? If it is going to be voluntary just do it now. If you are going to make people then show us your guns.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 08:05:35 AM

After thinking about this some more, I see what is going on.

When new technologies are introduced, we try to relate to them on prior terms. Let me drag out the old reliable 'car analogy'. When cars were first made, people really wanted to figure it out. How they would fit into their lives. At first, most thought going faster than 30 mph would kill you (really), and stayed away.

The first autos were "Horseless carriages", because that is all we could compare it to, not having seen one before. So I see this happening with bitcoin. We want to embrace the freedom and open transactions, but feel the need to saddle it with "Backing it with something". Or, "Hey, lets just make it a fractional reserve currency - you know, just so it is familiar."

It is the same struggle that any new technology has to deal with.

I think we need to adopt it, and make up terms along the way, just like we've done for the computer over the years - and the internet.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
shady financier

Activity: 84

etcetera

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:32:51 AM
Last edit: June 22, 2011, 11:53:12 AM by ~~~~~

In my opinion, bitcoin 1.0 will fail.  Yes, I may be wrong, this thread is not to debate that.  This thread is for my idea for Bitcoin 2.0 which I am not ambitious enough to head myself as I want to focus on my family.

I realize some of you feel bitcoin is backed.  However, too many people want a currency backed by something tangible.  Enter "junk silver".  The junk silver I would recommend having back Bitcoin 2.0 would be pre 1932-1964 quarters and 1946-1964 dimes as they have the same metal makeup.  This solves the problem of a tangible backing.  In addition, this all of a sudden makes every coin shop in the world a distributed exchange which we all understand the need for.

However, this idea WOULD likely require a central repository to hold the junk silver dimes and quarters UNLESS some specific ironclad deal was worked out with coin dealers.

Deposit or buy a pre 1965 dime and get 1 bitcoin 2.0 from the central exchange or the coin dealer who has bitcoin.  Buy or deposit a 1964 or older quarter and get 2.50 bitcoin 2.0.  They can then be traded, purchased, and sold anonymously just like bitcoin 1.0.  Your junk silver becomes digitized.  But at any time you can withdraw it for junk silver.  It will ALWAYS have value, be reasonably stable, and have distributed exchanges yet still have most of the benefits of bitcoin 1.0.

I hope someone proceeds with this or a like idea.

Less intelligent people are suspicious of information, and prefer matter. The reason for this is that they can hold matter and admire its shininess. Information alone tends to confuse them, they are not sure that it even really exists. What they don't realize is that matter itself, is also information. lol.

1G8AUgSTAw8hfatNnDHuYEqBAUzC3qvAAL

Bitcoin news: http://thebitcoinsun.com/

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

The value of goods, expressed in money, is called “price”, while the value of money, expressed in goods, is called “value”. C. Quigley
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 11:38:13 AM

Your idea is nothing new. It is not bitcoin 2.0. It is e-gold 299.0

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
unemployed

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2011, 11:39:42 AM

Maybe Bitcoin 2.0 backed by already proven currency Bitcoin 1.0?

╭═══════ Petlife ═══════╮
   Blockchain in veterinary medicine    │
╰════ https://icopet.life/ ════╯
TKE406

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 11:44:56 AM

Why does this thread have so many replies?

Do you people really take OP's idea seriously? I mean seriously... someone tell me what's going on here
gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 11:50:50 AM

You're an idiot.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: