Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:50:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reinstalled bitcoin core, wallet still encrypted, now with zero balance?  (Read 389 times)
Otto1479 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 09:09:06 PM

Hello!

When I first started playing with bitcoin, I set up a bitcoin core wallet with a ten word passphrase. I sent funds to the wallet, and then I couldn't get it out. Passphrase lost. I reinstalled bitcoin core to start over again. (dumb move on my part) Now there is a zero balance, but the new wallet is still encrypted. I'm guessing with the original wallet's passphrase. (I'm on a mac) That bitcoin is gone for good, right? There's no reason to try and unlock the passphrase it if it has a zero balance?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
maeusi

Activity: 462
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 09:21:57 PM

I think, you can't restore your wallet without paraphrase. So it should make sense to try to remember the passphrase. Maybe this wordlist could help you to remember the words order.
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0039/english.txt
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 09:55:33 PM

Hello!

When I first started playing with bitcoin, I set up a bitcoin core wallet with a ten word passphrase. I sent funds to the wallet, and then I couldn't get it out. Passphrase lost. I reinstalled bitcoin core to start over again. (dumb move on my part) Now there is a zero balance, but the new wallet is still encrypted. I'm guessing with the original wallet's passphrase. (I'm on a mac) That bitcoin is gone for good, right? There's no reason to try and unlock the passphrase it if it has a zero balance?

If you can figure out the pass phrase for the wallet, you will be able to recover the coins.  So you should try to remember everything you can about it.
Otto1479 (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 09:57:01 PM

Hello!

If you can figure out the pass phrase for the wallet, you will be able to recover the coins.  So you should try to remember everything you can about it.

Even though it shows a zero balance?
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 10:06:05 PM

Hello!

Since Bitcoin Core can't access the wallet (and you reinstalled it) it does know what keys are in there so it can't compute the balance so it shows zero. (If you know any of the addresses you can check the balance using a different web site.). If you can access the wallet it can then rescan and recalculate the balance. 

Otto1479 (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 10:09:46 PM

I think, you can't restore your wallet without paraphrase. So it should make sense to try to remember the passphrase. Maybe this wordlist could help you to remember the words order.
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0039/english.txt

Ok, thank you. I copy and pasted when I entered the phrase. I already recognize one word. Please, everyone learn from my mistakes.
Otto1479 (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 10:17:06 PM

Hello!

Since Bitcoin Core can't access the wallet (and you reinstalled it) it does know what keys are in there so it can't compute the balance so it shows zero. (If you know any of the addresses you can check the balance using a different web site.). If you can access the wallet it can then rescan and recalculate the balance. 

Ah, cool! I do have addresses, and i've seen them on the blockchain. I guess now I need a script to swap the words around? I was learning btcrecover, but i didn't think it would've been worth the effort since it showed zero balance.
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2017, 11:53:26 PM

Hello!

Ah, cool! I do have addresses, and i've seen them on the blockchain. I guess now I need a script to swap the words around? I was learning btcrecover, but i didn't think it would've been worth the effort since it showed zero balance.

It depends how complicated your passphrase is and how much you remember of it.

Just to make sure, it isn't the fact that you overwrote your wallet. You lost your coins because you lost your passphrase. You can't decrypt a wallet by reinstalling Bitcoin Core, it would be absurd.
Otto1479 (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 12:25:27 AM

Hello!

It depends how complicated your passphrase is and how much you remember of it.

Just to make sure, it isn't the fact that you overwrote your wallet. You lost your coins because you lost your passphrase. You can't decrypt a wallet by reinstalling Bitcoin Core, it would be absurd.

i agree. i reinstalled so i could have a usable working wallet. since the wallet.dat isn't overwritten when reinstalling, it's become an unusable (locked) application that remains on my computer. i've moved on to electrum.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: