Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:15:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PCIe Riser Version Differences?  (Read 980 times)
siforek (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 09:39:33 PM

It looks like version 006c is the most common I've found & was going to get these: https://www.amazon.com/Ubit-Mining-Dedicated-Graphics-Extension/dp/B072XGDWB3/ but I've seen version 7, 8 & now version 009s: https://cryptomined.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=200

It looks like version 7 added an LED on the board but other than that I don't know what the difference is. I know risers quality is kind of a gamble right now unless you want to pay more $ & power for the ASRock BTC Pro Kits but other than that what version cards would you suggest getting?
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Neo-Geo

Activity: 126
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2017, 10:34:55 AM

008C uses less power @ 5w each. 009S looks like highest/newest version out and has the most power input options, but unsure if it uses less power or not, no sellers mention this it seems. I wish someone would design a riser that is a tight fit and doesn't require x10+ reseating attempts to get a connection. I suspect that the only advantage to go from 008C to 009S are the molex and extra 6-pin inputs, but if it doesn't have the power savings then 008C would be the best choice. Whatever you get, I'd say 6-pin next to USB is ideal and this color combo is my personal favorite: https://www.amazon.com/Graphics-Extension-Powered-Adapter-Capacitors/dp/B077JYBDYT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513506046&sr=8-1&keywords=riser+card+pci+009S
Zakyn

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 11:15:55 AM

I am currently using mostly 007s,
have zero issues so far with all those claims of the SATA ports being fire hazard.

The 009s with 2 x PCI 6 pin seems weird? What is the extra PCI 6 pin slot for? And the pic from amazon shows them using the port on the middle of the board with a SATA connection?

Those prices though are also quite ex considering I buy risers by weight

Neo-Geo

Activity: 126
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2017, 11:31:40 AM

I've using 008c throughout and only had 1 lemon out of 83 so far.  That 009S probably has side options in case routing from next to USB is a problem. Surely you don't need to (and shouldn't) feed it more than one power input. That pic on Amazon is using a 6-pin to SATA adapter. I thought that all of the riser bundles come standard with an under-powered SATA fire hazard cable. I notice that that 009S listing shows the 1-slot riser card with VER006S, guess someone made a typo. Regardless, 009S is the highest version I'm aware of, but at this point the higher versions just seem like marketing tactics with gimmicky revisions such as a different coats of paint.
x_acidburn_x

Activity: 25

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 02:10:08 PM

My set of 008s risers showed up yesterday and I'm happy with them. They have a sata, 6 pin and molex connector options with the 'on' LED from version 7. No duds yet but I only have 2 of the 6 installed. You might have clearance issues with the mobo adapters though, for some reason the USB comes out the side instead of the top. Not sure about power consumption yet... just got the rig online about 1 in the morning. x.x

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE6KD8226
rockmoney

Activity: 439
Merit: 297

www.amazon.com/shops/MinersSupply

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2018, 11:35:04 PM

I am currently using mostly 007s,
have zero issues so far with all those claims of the SATA ports being fire hazard.

The 009s with 2 x PCI 6 pin seems weird? What is the extra PCI 6 pin slot for? And the pic from amazon shows them using the port on the middle of the board with a SATA connection?

Those prices though are also quite ex considering I buy risers by weight

I ordered one of the 009S risers to try it out when they first came to market. Initially, I was using only the 6-pin PCI-e input next to the USB input on the riser, and all seemed well. One of the LED lights (either D3/+12v or D4/3.3v) kept flashing and was quite annoying. I had plenty of open slots on my PSU breakout board, plenty of extra 6-pin PCI-e cables, so during some routine maintenance, I decided to use both 6-pin PCI-e power inputs on the riser. Immediately, I noticed that annoying LED light had stopped flashing (and now remained steadily lit), while everything else seemed normal. It's been several weeks now and the GTX 1070 Ti utilizing that riser has been stable with some slight performance increases (likely in my head), so I just went on Amazon to purchase more for upgrading all of my other GPU's.

It appears they now have a VER 009S-X, with a fairly significant upgrade to 8 capacitors from 4 found on the previous version. I wanted to confirm the 009S-X was indeed the most updated and came across this thread. Anyway, I haven't seen any other risers with 8 capacitors, and felt the additional 4 capacitors from previous versions justifies the upgrade by itself (I guess we will see, as they will be here tomorrow). Hopefully someone will find this of use..

Link to VER 009S-X Risers with 8 capacitors on Amazon: http://a.co/4YUEeAc

GekkoScience Products on Amazon Prime 1-DAY SHIPPING 
bluspirit

Activity: 70
Merit: 3

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 12:57:53 AM
Last edit: July 16, 2018, 01:31:24 AM by bluspirit

I'm using VER 009s with (1x) 6pin PCIE and they work fine.
I ordered them on amazon 2 months ago.
They arrived with slot riser card VER 008S.

https://www.amazon.com/N-ORANIE-Graphics-Extension-Powered-Capacitors/dp/B077JYBDYT/?th=1

https://imgur.com/a/yyn35S0
Painfire

Activity: 1638
Merit: 11

NFTMUSIC.AI: The Breakthrough Utility Token of the

View Profile
July 17, 2018, 12:06:37 PM

You have to choose risers with good capacitors (more capacitance is better) and good quality of soldering. Also check availability of fuse on the board. Usually all risers with 6 pin power supply have it.

───[ PointGenieCoin ]───
─────────────[  ⭐ ⭐ Make money with your Social Media Content ⭐ ⭐  ]─────────────
─────────────[  TWITTER    |    INSTAGRAM    |    TELEGRAM  ]─────────────
xxxyyyzzz

Activity: 21

View Profile
July 17, 2018, 12:17:31 PM

i have all ver009s   and have zero problems so far.  don't know ow much poser they consumes, but i like side 6 pin connector instead of front, easy to access when power comes from card.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: