Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:22:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is anyone running their Mining Rigs in an Oil Tank?  (Read 8609 times)
Mortox

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:42:28 PM

Cheaper, easier, and better to just water cool your hardware.  Plus it's easier to resell the components afterwards.

I agree, though I don't know about better.  Oil cooling does make it easier to use sub-ambient cooling methods without worrying about condensation.  My gaming rig is hooked up to a home-built chiller.  My idle temperatures can run as low as 18C in the summer.

Only go for oil cooling if its something you're interested in.  Its got lots of disadvantages.  Although I'd probably say the same about liquid cooling.
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phil21

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 11:25:50 PM

I've been pondering this with some degree of seriousness.  Especially since I just had a 55 gal fish tank become free for this use.

It basically comes down to if I expect to be able to resell the components or not at this point.  Tough call! Smiley

-Phil
bitcoinaddict

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:58:43 PM

You could almost build an entire other computer for what you will spend on the oil.  It's not like you just dump vegetable oil in it and turn it on.

https://bitcoinmonkey.com/images/btcmonkey_ub.png
Join https://www.bitcoinmonkey.com mining pool!  0% Fees for life, LP, super low stales, API, SSL (with a real cert!), growing fast!
tonto

Activity: 609
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 07:02:51 PM

You could almost build an entire other computer for what you will spend on the oil.  It's not like you just dump vegetable oil in it and turn it on.

Actually you can do just that.  Obviously there are some precautions to take, but you can use vegetable oil.
Mortox

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 11:10:46 PM

I've heard it goes rancid and smells bad eventually though.  People definitely do it though.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 02:22:42 AM

I know this topic is old but it seems to be the only topic on this. So i wanted to know whats the advantage from it? I mean it should be better cooling but that makes probably only sense if you plan to overclock the asics. So is it possible anyway to overclock the asics? I read somewhere in the forum, i dont find it anymore, that one could overclock it up to 300? but met a wall there. I dont know what he referred to. So how can, for example an asic from avalon be overclocked anyway? Clockrates? Changing volts or what ways are possible? And the wall the one person spoke about... is it breakable with better cooling or is it a wall that cant be broken? I thought about mineral oil myself but if it doesnt lead to a higher hashrate through overclocking it doesnt make much sense to me.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: