Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:33:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: is it possible to mine bitcoins testnet on CPU ?  (Read 887 times)
Andre_Goldman (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 253

Property1of1OU

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 11:41:34 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Hi,

I am doing a research (nothing deep, just a casual reading) on some types of benchmark at TPC-C

http://www.tpc.org/information/benchmarks.asp

Does anyone knows any benchmark related to ARM Core CPU's family ?

ps-> my temporary testnet address is 2N8A71SAuzjuiLFAipMcMFhghs92QAtv5Vp

Patent1number: ****-****
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6578

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2017, 05:43:56 PM

The difficulty on testnet can vary wildly. There may be times that you are able to CPU mine on testnet, other times you won't be able to as the difficulty increases.

mocacinno
Legendary

Merit: 4919

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2017, 06:10:32 PM

Last week somebody was mining on the testnet using an S9, compared to 13 Th, the couple Gh you get with your cpu won't give you high odds of hitting a testnet block.

By the way: testnet addresses start with m or n

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2017, 07:09:59 PM

Last week somebody was mining on the testnet using an S9, compared to 13 Th, the couple Gh you get with your cpu won't give you high odds of hitting a testnet block.
The difficulty resets to 1 if a block is not found in 20 minutes, so you can CPU mine then. The difficulty can also be gamed to be set to 1 for an entire retarget period, and it can only increase at most by a factor of 4, so CPU mining is viable at those times.

Testnet P2SH addresses start with 2.

Andre_Goldman (OP)

Property1of1OU

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 10:17:15 AM
Last edit: August 20, 2017, 11:03:29 AM by Andre_Goldman

The difficulty resets to 1 if a block is not found in 20 minutes, so you can CPU mine then. The difficulty can also be gamed to be set to 1 for an entire retarget period, and it can only increase at most by a factor of 4, so CPU mining is viable at those times.

Testnet P2SH addresses start with 2.

thanks achow101, yesterday I saw diff 1, today is much much higher ( getmininginfo ) I missed the opportunity because I was trying to isolate the energy consumption of "bitcoind.exe" on CPU core ... (on Visual Studio there is a tool called "performance profiler" on debug tab .. but I'm not sure if the metrics are that precise, even Microsoft makes a note regards to it, metrics is good enough for batteries consumption thought ...    

ed; typo

achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2017, 03:08:26 PM

thanks achow101, yesterday I saw diff 1, today is much much higher ( getmininginfo ) I missed the opportunity because I was trying to isolate the energy consumption of "bitcoind.exe" on CPU core ... (on Visual Studio there is a tool called "performance profiler" on debug tab .. but I'm not sure if the metrics are that precise, even Microsoft makes a note regards to it, metrics is good enough for batteries consumption thought ...    

ed; typo
IIRC the mining code in Bitcoin Core has been disabled for everything but regtest, so you can't use that to CPU mine testnet. You can use other, more optimized software for CPU mining like cpuminer.

efeaydin

Activity: 181
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 03:21:15 PM

You can do it but the testnet bitcoins you'll earn will depend on the difficulty. The difficulty of testnet resets to 1 sometimes so you'll earn more if you mine when it resets.

You can find the current difficulty here:

https://testnet.manu.backend.hamburg/difficultyhistory
Andre_Goldman (OP)

Property1of1OU

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 08:33:00 AM

You can do it but the testnet bitcoins you'll earn will depend on the difficulty. The difficulty of testnet resets to 1 sometimes so you'll earn more if you mine when it resets.

You can find the current difficulty here:

https://testnet.manu.backend.hamburg/difficultyhistory

thanks for the link very useful ..

Regards to the difficult ..yes I get that .. but I only will mine after I know how much energy I need to pump into the system.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: