Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:56:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How many cards can I use with my PC ?  (Read 303 times)
universalresonance (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 03:22:33 PM

Hello all,

This is my gaming PC- how many cards can I use my setup ? someone said 6 - now just before I go ahead and purchase cards-I'd like to make sure lol

Also, btw - what is POS - POW  for ETH ? what does that mean and is that a cause of attention for new rig builders?

I have these slots.

Slot 1: PCI-Express x16 Gen 3i
Slot 2: PCI-Express x4 Gen 2
Slot 3: PCI-Express x16 Gen 3i
Slot 4: PCI-Express x1 Gen 2
Slot 5: PCI-Express x16 Gen 3i

and 1500 watt PSU

in my PC - what does that translate into?

16 gb RAM -DDR4

6800k (liquid cooled)

1tb SSD

Currently has 1 x 1080 = I'd like to use that for my gaming monitor.

What equipment I need in addition to new cards?

So suggestions ?

TIA
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 03:29:33 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2017, 03:47:52 PM by Vann

Generally speaking you should be able to have as many GPU's as PCI-E slots on your motherboard, if you use powered risers. Not all motherboards support using all the PCI-E slots for GPU's, so you need to find out how many cards your motherboard supports.

If you plan on keeping the cards in your case, then you can only use the PCI-E x16 slots. The other problem with cards in a case is heat build up from mining. Any more than two GPU's in a closed case and you will likely overheat the GPU's
universalresonance (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 04:07:50 PM

Generally speaking you should be able to have as many GPU's as PCI-E slots on your motherboard, if you use powered risers. Not all motherboards support using all the PCI-E slots for GPU's, so you need to find out how many cards your motherboard supports.

If you plan on keeping the cards in your case, then you can only use the PCI-E x16 slots. The other problem with cards in a case is heat build up from mining. Any more than two GPU's in a closed case and you will likely overheat the GPU's

Any idea where I can find out how many gpu's my motherboard would support?

I mean, wouldn't that only matter if I'm using them in SLI , however-they will only be used for -well mining and 1x gpu for gaming.

It's a surprise to me that I can use pcie x1 slot for x16 card lol
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 04:13:47 PM

I mean, wouldn't that only matter if I'm using them in SLI , however-they will only be used for -well mining and 1x gpu for gaming.

yeah it's used with risers. And you can check info about your motherboard online.

What you asked about ETH. Basically coin is mineable when algorithm is POW, ETH will switch to POS (cannot be mined) but no one knows when. It's expected to crash mining scene as not many other coins can handle difficulty that ETH got (and remain profitable to mine)
universalresonance (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 04:33:16 PM

yeah it's used with risers. And you can check info about your motherboard online.

What you asked about ETH. Basically coin is mineable when algorithm is POW, ETH will switch to POS (cannot be mined) but no one knows when. It's expected to crash mining scene as not many other coins can handle difficulty that ETH got (and remain profitable to mine)

Cannot be mined PERIOD or cannot be mined using GPU ?

How could this danger be looming over our heads and people still "investing" 10's-1000's of dollars into building rigs?
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 08:16:14 PM

Cannot be mined PERIOD or cannot be mined using GPU ?

How could this danger be looming over our heads and people still "investing" 10's-1000's of dollars into building rigs?

Cannot be mined period. Well ETH foundation announced that it's coming, but no one really knows when. Could be before the end of the year or next year or in 2 years, who knows. And if something goes wrong you can always sell your cards to gamers
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 08:30:09 PM

Your motherboard should support 5 GPU-s if you tone down the PCIEXPRESS GEN from AUTO to GEN1 in the board. This will lower your 1080 performance only a bit and it should allow you to run the 4 other cards to mine Ethereum or Zcash as the most profitable coins to mine nowadays. Be sure to buy at least 4 risers , there are tons of them at ebay or amazon.

Also check how many PCIE 6+2 pin connectors your PSU have as the 1080 should have got 2 from it, 1 6 PIN and one 6+2 PIN.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █