Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:08:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: NOTICE OF ACCOUNT CLOSURE AND PENDING DISABLEMENT  (Read 846 times)
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 250

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 05:41:05 PM

Hello,
Today I try to login to my Coinbase wallet and got this error.

Our records indicate that you have attempted to log in to your Coinbase account from a country in which Coinbase is prohibited by law from doing business (Iran (Islamic Republic of)) per the sanctions imposed by the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control or other governing bodies. As a result, your account has been restricted.

If you are not a resident of a sanctioned country or otherwise have received this notification in error, please contact us at support@coinbase.com and provide us with a copy of a current, government-issued ID and proof of your current address, such as a utility bill or rental agreement.

If, however, Coinbase concludes that you reside in a prohibited region or are violating applicable sanctions in any way, your account will be closed and Coinbase will take any other actions required by law.

Is there any solution, anyone can solve?
I have submitted a appeal already to enable my account again.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
warningsigns

Activity: 896
Merit: 1082

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 06:11:36 PM

The solution is to provide the documents and information they are asking for: a government issued ID or passport proving you are not a resident or citizen of Iran and proof of residence in a non-sanctioned jurisdiction.

If however you can't give them what they mentioned in the alert notice you received, then they will proceed with closing the account. As for the take any other actions required by law part, I'm not sure what that would be. They might report the account and your information as a matter of procedure.

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 06:25:06 PM

Do you live in Iran?
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 12:05:32 AM

Do you live in Iran?

No, I do not live in Iran
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 12:07:22 AM

The solution is to provide the documents and information they are asking for: a government issued ID or passport proving you are not a resident or citizen of Iran and proof of residence in a non-sanctioned jurisdiction.

If however you can't give them what they mentioned in the alert notice you received, then they will proceed with closing the account. As for the take any other actions required by law part, I'm not sure what that would be. They might report the account and your information as a matter of procedure.

Will I get my funds if they close my account?
warningsigns

Merit: 1082

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 04:00:24 AM

I'm not sure if they will release your funds if they freeze or close your account. Here is the OFAC site about sanctions compliance:

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Sanctions/Pages/faq_compliance.aspx

It states that when an account is detected or suspected as belonging to a resident of a sanctioned jurisdiction, the account will be frozen and transactions blocked. If that is the case, then you can't move funds (you can't transact or move funds in and out of the account) which basically restricts your access to those funds. If you can't move the money, then you can't get it.

For a more authoritative determination about the status of your account and your funds, I suggest you contact Coinbase and ask how or if you can access your funds after they close it. I think the take any other actions required by law phrase means they will freeze your account and funds as required by OFAC.

What kind of amount are we talking about here?

If you are a US resident visiting Iran temporarily, you might have a chance to recover your funds if you can provide the documents they asked for in the alert message.

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 04:10:25 AM
Last edit: August 20, 2017, 04:30:01 AM by Quickseller

Do you live in Iran?

No, I do not live in Iran
Why did Coinbase register a successful login via Iran?

If you are a resident of a country not subject to US sanctions and are not otherwise subject to US/UN/etc. sanctions, then you should be able to provide identification documents and will be able to continue using Coinbase as you did previously.

If you are somehow subject to US/UN/etc. sanctions, or if you are on the OFAC (or similar) list, then any assets in your Coinbase account will eventually become property of the US Government. be frozen indefinitely

edit: upon further research, it looks like title to assets subject to sanctions stays with the person subject to the sanctions, however the subject assets are frozen until and unless the sanctions are lifted. I believe this could mean that said assets might be subject to judgments resulting from lawsuits, and that it effectively means the owner will not have access to his funds anymore. 
xypos

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 04:12:37 AM

Hello,

Our records indicate that you have attempted to log in to your Coinbase account from a country in which Coinbase is prohibited by law from doing business (Iran (Islamic Republic of)) per the sanctions imposed by the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control or other governing bodies. As a result, your account has been restricted.

If you are not a resident of a sanctioned country or otherwise have received this notification in error, please contact us at support@coinbase.com and provide us with a copy of a current, government-issued ID and proof of your current address, such as a utility bill or rental agreement.

If, however, Coinbase concludes that you reside in a prohibited region or are violating applicable sanctions in any way, your account will be closed and Coinbase will take any other actions required by law.

It's quite strange. Have you ever gotten weird confirmation emails for login for coinbase when you haven't even logged in? Since you said that you don't live in iran then it's either you used a proxy/VPN that is Iran-based or some Iranian hacker had your password.

In any case i think that coinbase should have at least done better by providing the IP address so you can check where the problem stems from.

If they close your account, then i'm pretty sure you don't get your coins back. As QS said, it is really up to the US government as they are the people who implemented these regulations.

Just provide the documents to them. How much did you even have in there? if it's a small amount don't even bother.
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 05:53:43 AM

Hello,

It's quite strange. Have you ever gotten weird confirmation emails for login for coinbase when you haven't even logged in? Since you said that you don't live in iran then it's either you used a proxy/VPN that is Iran-based or some Iranian hacker had your password.

In any case i think that coinbase should have at least done better by providing the IP address so you can check where the problem stems from.

If they close your account, then i'm pretty sure you don't get your coins back. As QS said, it is really up to the US government as they are the people who implemented these regulations.

Just provide the documents to them. How much did you even have in there? if it's a small amount don't even bother.

I didn't login from Iran, this is bullshit by Coinbase, a lot of people are complaining about it, coinbase is blocking their accounts without any reason. I have almost $1000+ in account and worried about it.
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 05:54:20 AM

I'm not sure if they will release your funds if they freeze or close your account. Here is the OFAC site about sanctions compliance:

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Sanctions/Pages/faq_compliance.aspx

It states that when an account is detected or suspected as belonging to a resident of a sanctioned jurisdiction, the account will be frozen and transactions blocked. If that is the case, then you can't move funds (you can't transact or move funds in and out of the account) which basically restricts your access to those funds. If you can't move the money, then you can't get it.

For a more authoritative determination about the status of your account and your funds, I suggest you contact Coinbase and ask how or if you can access your funds after they close it. I think the take any other actions required by law phrase means they will freeze your account and funds as required by OFAC.

What kind of amount are we talking about here?

If you are a US resident visiting Iran temporarily, you might have a chance to recover your funds if you can provide the documents they asked for in the alert message.

I'm not a US resident, I live outside USA but not in Iran.
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 05:56:20 AM

Their support is terrible, Where I can send them my documents, when I send to support@coinbase.com they says that this email is no longer working and give me another support ticket link, when I go there it has only complain form and no upload box to send them my documents, this is disgusting and bullshit.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 06:00:36 AM

I didn't login from Iran, this is bullshit by Coinbase, a lot of people are complaining about it, coinbase is blocking their accounts without any reason. I have almost $1000+ in account and worried about it.

Maybe someone tried to hack into your account from Iran, or from a VPN server based there. Unfortunately, it sounds like you are going to need to fork over your ID and let them verify you before they will proceed. It sucks, but Coinbase is super worried about legal compliance, and this involves a sanctioned country. It sounds like if you verify your ID, they will unlock your account.

Since you're not a US resident and the amount of money is fairly small by money transmitter standards, I wouldn't worry too much at this point. I do hate giving my documents to exchanges, but Coinbase is one of the few that I've been willing to. Given their emphasis on compliance, they should be putting a lot of resources into storing your documents and personal information securely.
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 06:02:03 AM

Please be aware that access to your Coinbase account will be restricted as long as you are in the prohibited region. If you reside in a non-prohibited region, your access will be restored once you log in from any non-prohibited region and, if necessary, verify your identity.

I'm not in prohibited region, then why not my account is restored yet. What is this non sense, they scammers making people fool and stealing their funds.
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 06:04:29 AM

Maybe someone tried to hack into your account from Iran, or from a VPN server based there. Unfortunately, it sounds like you are going to need to fork over your ID and let them verify you before they will proceed. It sucks, but Coinbase is super worried about legal compliance, and this involves a sanctioned country. It sounds like if you verify your ID, they will unlock your account.

Since you're not a US resident and the amount of money is fairly small by money transmitter standards, I wouldn't worry too much at this point. I do hate giving my documents to exchanges, but Coinbase is one of the few that I've been willing to. Given their emphasis on compliance, they should be putting a lot of resources into storing your documents and personal information securely.

But how can I send them documents? There's no link in support neither their email is working, it looks like they are thieves working underground without any proper support, no email, no support team, no contact information.
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 06:05:33 AM

Look what people are complaining about.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/

I'm not the only one who is the victim of coinbase.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 06:09:55 AM

But how can I send them documents? There's no link in support neither their email is working, it looks like they are thieves working underground without any proper support, no email, no support team, no contact information.

You can't send your documents via email. It's a real hassle: they make you upload your ID/passport via webcam while logged into the website, or with your smartphone's camera. My webcam wasn't good enough, so I had to use the mobile app. Find the official app, download it, and look for the ID section under "Settings." It was an automatic process. After taking a picture of my driver's license and a picture of myself holding it, my account was instantly verified.

Per their site:

Most ID verifications must be completed either through the Coinbase website or the mobile app. We are not able to accept emailed copies of ID for verification purposes.
Try using your mobile device. In some instances you can use the mobile app to complete the ID verification step using your phone's camera. The 'Identity Verification' section can be found under 'Settings' in the app.
For customers outside of the US, we are unable to accept scanned or otherwise saved image files. If you do not have a webcam on your computer, in most instances the mobile app or Mobile Camera option can be used to complete this step.
https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1220621-identity-verification

In your case, I'm guessing they may want to see some proof of residence (residential lease, utility bill, etc.) to prove that you don't live in Iran. Undecided
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 06:19:35 AM

You can't send your documents via email. It's a real hassle: they make you upload your ID/passport via webcam while logged into the website, or with your smartphone's camera. My webcam wasn't good enough, so I had to use the mobile app. Find the official app, download it, and look for the ID section under "Settings." It was an automatic process. After taking a picture of my driver's license and a picture of myself holding it, my account was instantly verified.

Per their site:

Most ID verifications must be completed either through the Coinbase website or the mobile app. We are not able to accept emailed copies of ID for verification purposes.
Try using your mobile device. In some instances you can use the mobile app to complete the ID verification step using your phone's camera. The 'Identity Verification' section can be found under 'Settings' in the app.
For customers outside of the US, we are unable to accept scanned or otherwise saved image files. If you do not have a webcam on your computer, in most instances the mobile app or Mobile Camera option can be used to complete this step.
https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1220621-identity-verification

In your case, I'm guessing they may want to see some proof of residence (residential lease, utility bill, etc.) to prove that you don't live in Iran. Undecided

Lolx, I'm unable to login to my account, how can I login to app and upload documents. This is f**cking disgusting.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 06:28:03 AM

The email you posted in the OP literally says where you can send your ID documents and proof of residency to.

Per the email you posted, send your documents to support@coinbase.com -- you have no way of knowing if this email "is not working"
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 06:33:15 AM

Lolx, I'm unable to login to my account, how can I login to app and upload documents. This is f**cking disgusting.

their original message to you is strange considering they never accept documents through email. maybe this case is different because of the supposed login from iran. when you attempt to login and see that message, all functionality is locked? you can't go to "account settings?"

i'm gonna level with you here. if there really was a login (or many login attempts) from iran, this could take weeks to sort out since everything will need to go through their legal team. dealing with their customer support is already terrible right now due to the crypto bubble (and therefore influx of new customers). the last time i submitted a ticket, it took me a week to get an answer from a real person, and even then they only gave me a boilerplate response.

if i were you, i would try to be patient. it sounds like you need to go through their support system and it will probably take weeks. hopefully you're alright with submitting your documents. i don't think they're out to steal your money; they're one of the more trustworthy exchanges out there.

Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 07:00:23 AM

their original message to you is strange considering they never accept documents through email. maybe this case is different because of the supposed login from iran. when you attempt to login and see that message, all functionality is locked? you can't go to "account settings?"

i'm gonna level with you here. if there really was a login (or many login attempts) from iran, this could take weeks to sort out since everything will need to go through their legal team. dealing with their customer support is already terrible right now due to the crypto bubble (and therefore influx of new customers). the last time i submitted a ticket, it took me a week to get an answer from a real person, and even then they only gave me a boilerplate response.

if i were you, i would try to be patient. it sounds like you need to go through their support system and it will probably take weeks. hopefully you're alright with submitting your documents. i don't think they're out to steal your money; they're one of the more trustworthy exchanges out there.

Yes, I cannot go to settings tab. They asking to send documents on support@coinbase.com

I don't know how many login attempts were from Iran but when I login, I got this error.

I may wait for this to be solved but not wait like months or years to solve. I know their shitty support system. Many people facing this issue of account freezing. Obviously, they are cheaters.
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 07:03:41 AM

The email you posted in the OP literally says where you can send your ID documents and proof of residency to.

Per the email you posted, send your documents to support@coinbase.com -- you have no way of knowing if this email "is not working"

Because when I sent them email on support@coinbase.com, I got this reply.

Thank you for contacting Coinbase.

In an effort to more quickly respond to requests, directly emailing support@coinbase.com is no longer enabled.

This definitely means they no longer respond to support email.
poordeveloper

Merit: 527

₿₿₿₿₿₿₿

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2017, 07:35:33 AM

Contact CoinBase support without logging into your account:

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/emails/new

You are able to chat and open a support ticket.

🎰 Bitcoin Casinos ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🔵 Buy Bitcoin (Visa / Mastercard / SEPA / Bank Transfer / Western Union / MoneyGram / RIA)
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 07:43:02 AM

Contact CoinBase support without logging into your account:

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/emails/new

You are able to chat and open a support ticket.

I already opened a support ticket, no reply from them yet.
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 07:44:00 AM

Most pathetic support I've ever seen.
xypos

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 07:54:49 AM

Hello,

Yeah, i've heard a lot about the complaints as well. However are you sure that you didn't receive any sort of confirmation emails that were out of the norm?

Also, why are you not able to provide them with the ID? Do you live in another restricted country or anything? Usually if your account gets shut down by coinbase for having gambling or dark web related activity and no court order is filed then they usually let you withdraw your coins to another wallet, you just can't use coinbase's services. Not sure about sanctioned countries though.

One of the most pathetic. But Mr. Armstrong says that he is upgrading the support crew. Not sure if it's going to make a difference.
romani245

Activity: 267
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 08:13:57 AM

In an effort to more quickly respond to requests, directly emailing support@coinbase.com is no longer enabled.

I also got this reply from them. The only way is through the support ticket system. They respond by email, but only once they open a ticket for you. It seems you have already initiated a ticket. You will probably get 3-4 automated boilerplate emails over the next week before anyone will respond to you. They will probably take even longer in your case and possibly be even more cagey (and less responsive) with all this talk about Iran. Undecided
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 10:15:10 AM

Hello,

Yeah, i've heard a lot about the complaints as well. However are you sure that you didn't receive any sort of confirmation emails that were out of the norm?

Also, why are you not able to provide them with the ID? Do you live in another restricted country or anything? Usually if your account gets shut down by coinbase for having gambling or dark web related activity and no court order is filed then they usually let you withdraw your coins to another wallet, you just can't use coinbase's services. Not sure about sanctioned countries though.

One of the most pathetic. But Mr. Armstrong says that he is upgrading the support crew. Not sure if it's going to make a difference.

I'm ready to provide them my proof but where to send them?

Their support email is not working, and there's no option to send documents via ticket system. I don't know what to do, I'm worried about my funds.

I live in another country supported by Coinbase, not in any restricted country. Just waiting for reply to send them proof.
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 10:42:37 PM

I'm ready to provide them my proof but where to send them?

Their support email is not working, and there's no option to send documents via ticket system. I don't know what to do, I'm worried about my funds.

I live in another country supported by Coinbase, not in any restricted country. Just waiting for reply to send them proof.

it looks like they sent you a template error message. the template was created before they stopped allowing direct emails to support@coinbase.com. i think they stopped allowing them just a few months ago due to the increase in customer base.

i know it's a shitty situation. a lot of people on several different exchanges (poloniex and bittrex come to mind) are having similar problems with frozen accounts and stuck withdrawals.

there's nothing you can do except wait for them to respond to the support ticket, and go from there. provide your proof at the earliest direct response from them. i would feel the same as you in this situation, but given how focused they are on legal compliance, i think you will get your funds back. it just might take a little while. Undecided

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 10:54:37 PM

Lol. I don't think they monitor bitcointalk very closely. I would suggest opening a thread on r/bitcoin, r/btc and/or r/bitcoinmarkets on reddit, and potentially tagging/mentioning one or more of their support personnel in the comments.

I am sure this is frustrating, however I don't think this is intentional, and is probably an oversight. I suspect they changed one procedure without changing the other.
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 04:25:09 AM

They replied me with this.

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Having investigated the issue, I am working with a specialist to address it properly. We will follow-up with you as soon as we have an update.

Thank you for your patience.

What should I do now?
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 04:46:33 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Having investigated the issue, I am working with a specialist to address it properly. We will follow-up with you as soon as we have an update.

What should I do now?
I would say you should follow up in a week or so. If you cannot login currently, you can attempt to periodically attempt to login, and if you are able to, then the issue has been resolved.
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 05:31:29 AM

Hi there,

What should I do now?
I would say you should follow up in a week or so. If you cannot login currently, you can attempt to periodically attempt to login, and if you are able to, then the issue has been resolved.

Its still showing same error.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 05:41:53 AM

Hi there,

What should I do now?

If they sent you a reply after you sent them an email, then I think it is reasonable to say they review that email address, however they send that automatic response to discourage people from sending spam-like messages to that email address.

If there is no progress in the next several days to a week or so, and they do not respond to any of your follow-up emails, then I would suggest creating a thread on reddit in any of the subs I previously mentioned.
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 06:54:35 AM

Hi there,

What should I do now?

If they sent you a reply after you sent them an email, then I think it is reasonable to say they review that email address, however they send that automatic response to discourage people from sending spam-like messages to that email address.

If there is no progress in the next several days to a week or so, and they do not respond to any of your follow-up emails, then I would suggest creating a thread on reddit in any of the subs I previously mentioned.

No, I created a ticket and they replied me on that ticket that they have investigated the issue.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: