Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:47:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 129 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN]Spectrecoin[XSPEC] TOR+OBFS4, Ring Sig, Stealth!  (Read 94819 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
zackie

Activity: 174
Merit: 103

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 09:12:11 PM

hey how can i participate in your bounty compaign?

No bounty for bounty hunters! If you like the coin, go to cryptopia and buy some.  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
srqrebel

Activity: 256
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 02:22:27 AM

I will participate on your bounty campaign if i am qualified. For now, Let me watch this thread for more updates. Thank you

hey how can i participate in your bounty compaign?

There is no bounty campaign that I am aware of.  The signatures are volunteer only, no one is getting paid to use them.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬     SPECTRECOIN     ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Native TOR+OBFS4  ●  Mobile & Stealth Staking Soon!  ●  Ghost Protocol
XSPEC Slack  ◆   Website  ◆  Twitter  ◆  Facebook  ◆  Reddit  ◆  Telegram
h001

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 02:29:26 AM

Mining look really interesting for the result. but it is also need a huge resources to do it.
Good luck miners.
Bitman86

Activity: 263
Merit: 101

Leo Bitman

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2017, 05:50:18 AM

Leaving a device connected 24/7 is risky

This is not the first time I have seen this claim, with regard to staking.  Can someone please explain the reasoning behind this?

Because, even if there is risk associated with having a wallet open for staking (despite it being password protected against hacking), that risk is present any time the wallet is open for staking, even if just part time.  While I understand that the less time a device is connected and a wallet is staking, the lower the risk, I also understand that the reward is likewise lower.

So, what really matters is the risk to reward ratio.  Does that ratio increase when the wallet is left open for staking 24/7, and if so, how?

Can anybody answer to that please? Cheesy I am also really interested in that.. cause i am thinking about buying an homeserver for staking several coins...
thank you
The first quote already contains the answer, I do not understand why it was cut. See the 1st complete quote.

"Leaving a device connected 24/7 is risky, if we consider that we must take risks to live every day,
well what follows is obvious: you must reasonably worry about the safety of your device."

To continue with the topic of security there are many other forums. Or just make a new post here.
This post ends here. If you quote this again it will be removed.

Follow me on Twitter to get free ALIAS: https://twitter.com/LeoBitman
maursader

Activity: 509
Merit: 250

Disrupt the banking system!

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 09:31:29 AM

Is is possible to stake under Linux without using a gui wallet? That would be great, because I would safe a lot of energy when shutting down my desktop computer. I also have a virtual server which is idling most of the time. If it's possible. Could someone please share a hudide or how to for accomplishing that?
Gandalf86

Activity: 1330
Merit: 515

Coin Mage

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 10:27:47 AM

Is is possible to stake under Linux without using a gui wallet? That would be great, because I would safe a lot of energy when shutting down my desktop computer. I also have a virtual server which is idling most of the time. If it's possible. Could someone please share a hudide or how to for accomplishing that?

Yes. I've explained it earlier in this thread. Wink See below.

Is there a guide out there for staking with an Unix operating system via bash in the background? I don't want to run a desktop PC or emulate a virtual machine for running a normal GUI wallet.

This way I would safe energy, because I could shut down my computer at night and migrate staking tasks to my root server which is is idling most of its time.

You probably want to use a terminal multiplexer of your choice (see https://askubuntu.com/questions/8653/how-to-keep-processes-running-after-ending-ssh-session).

Then build spectrecoind using the instructions found in doc/build-unix.txt in the Github repository (https://github.com/spectrecoin/spectre) and start it. Afaik it should be staking by default if you keep it running.

Discord: Gandalf86#5805 (#341695925166538796) // Maintainer of Titcoin // Work smarter, not harder!
srqrebel

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 01:06:48 PM

Leaving a device connected 24/7 is risky

This is not the first time I have seen this claim, with regard to staking.  Can someone please explain the reasoning behind this?

Because, even if there is risk associated with having a wallet open for staking (despite it being password protected against hacking), that risk is present any time the wallet is open for staking, even if just part time.  While I understand that the less time a device is connected and a wallet is staking, the lower the risk, I also understand that the reward is likewise lower.

So, what really matters is the risk to reward ratio.  Does that ratio increase when the wallet is left open for staking 24/7, and if so, how?

Can anybody answer to that please? Cheesy I am also really interested in that.. cause i am thinking about buying an homeserver for staking several coins...
thank you
The first quote already contains the answer, I do not understand why it was cut. See the 1st complete quote.

"Leaving a device connected 24/7 is risky, if we consider that we must take risks to live every day,
well what follows is obvious: you must reasonably worry about the safety of your device."

To continue with the topic of security there are many other forums. Or just make a new post here.
This post ends here. If you quote this again it will be removed.

I guess the original quote was about leaving a device (i.e. laptop) connected 24/7, in other words keeping it connected just for staking as opposed to staking only when one has the device connected for other uses.

My question was whether there is an increased risk to reward for leaving a wallet (not device) open for staking 24/7 vs. only part time.  I realize now that my question was not relevant to the original quote, as it does not pertain to the risk of keeping the device connected to the internet.  The proper context for my question is, if the device is kept connected to the internet 24/7 anyway (which mine is), is there higher risk to reward associated with keeping the wallet open for staking 24/7 vs. only part time?  (And if so, how?)

matale0

Activity: 149
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 01:15:37 PM

github is dead

https://github.com/spectrecoin/spectre
Gandalf86

Coin Mage

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 01:50:06 PM

My question was whether there is an increased risk to reward for leaving a wallet (not device) open for staking 24/7 vs. only part time.  I realize now that my question was not relevant to the original quote, as it does not pertain to the risk of keeping the device connected to the internet.  The proper context for my question is, if the device is kept connected to the internet 24/7 anyway (which mine is), is there higher risk to reward associated with keeping the wallet open for staking 24/7 vs. only part time?  (And if so, how?)

I think I answered this at some point. Is there anything you're still missing from that answer?

The thing is, development does not only mean writing new code that could be committed. Often it is about debugging code, experimenting, refactoring. Things that cannot be easily committed until everything fits together. The "zero balance" bug that is currently being worked on is a typical example of such case.

Discord: Gandalf86#5805 (#341695925166538796) // Maintainer of Titcoin // Work smarter, not harder!
Grahnite

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

DeepOnions for the WIN!

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 01:57:04 PM

hmmm, I see this coin also uses the TOR network. When making a payment with SpectreCoin, is the following visible?

1. The IP the wallet is running on
2. Is the transaction visible on the Spectre coin blockchain?

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion★  Anonymity Guaranteed
★  Anonymous and Untraceable
★  Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
srqrebel

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 03:27:26 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2017, 03:57:45 PM by srqrebel

I think I answered this at some point. Is there anything you're still missing from that answer?

You gave a pretty well rounded answer, thank you for that.  Though, it, too, seems to address device risk more than the risk to reward ratio of keeping the wallet open for staking 24/7 (in the context of a device that is kept connected to the internet 24/7 anyway, for reasons other than staking).  If there is a hack attack or malware infection, seems to me that can happen at any time that the wallet is staking, even if it is only staking, say, one hour per day.  And, although obviously the risk from hacking or malware increases the longer the wallet is kept open, so do the staking rewards - hence why the question is about risk/reward ratio, not just increased risk.

About the only thing you mentioned that seemed to me to pose increased risk vs. reward, is the possibility of the device, with the wallet on it, being stolen; the risk of burglary is certainly higher at certain times of the day (or night).  Though, during staking the wallet is unlocked for staking only, and if I am not mistaken, the pass phrase would still be needed in order to access the funds on the wallet.  Is there a possibility that a thief could quickly bypass the pass phrase through hacking?  Seems to me that if one keeps a recent copy of the wallet.dat on file (on a different device or medium, stored in a separate location), one's funds would be pretty secure even in the event that the device is stolen without an interruption of the power supply, even while the wallet is unlocked for staking - but I am no tech expert by any means.

HippiePyro

Activity: 476
Merit: 107

A non technical guy in a technical world

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 03:55:25 PM

hmmm, I see this coin also uses the TOR network. When making a payment with SpectreCoin, is the following visible?

If you have a public wallet then yes to both. If your using private wallet and private transaction's then no to both. Spectre give's you the choice to be public or private, on many levels.
Gandalf86

Coin Mage

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 04:47:54 PM

You gave a pretty well rounded answer, thank you for that.  Though, it, too, seems to address device risk more than the risk to reward ratio of keeping the wallet open for staking 24/7 (in the context of a device that is kept connected to the internet 24/7 anyway, for reasons other than staking).  If there is a hack attack or malware infection, seems to me that can happen at any time that the wallet is staking, even if it is only staking, say, one hour per day.  And, although obviously the risk from hacking or malware increases the longer the wallet is kept open, so do the staking rewards - hence why the question is about risk/reward ratio, not just increased risk.

The only difference between staking and not staking is that it's connected to the internet. I addressed the probability of being "hacked" via the internet, which is pretty low IMO, as long as no other services are running on your system that would be prone to security issues. It really depends on your system then.

About the only thing you mentioned that seemed to me to pose increased risk vs. reward, is the possibility of the device, with the wallet on it, being stolen; the risk of burglary is certainly higher at certain times of the day (or night).  Though, during staking the wallet is unlocked for staking only, and if I am not mistaken, the pass phrase would still be needed in order to access the funds on the wallet.  Is there a possibility that a thief could quickly bypass the pass phrase through hacking?  Seems to me that if one keeps a recent copy of the wallet.dat on file (on a different device or medium, stored in a separate location), one's funds would be pretty secure even in the event that the device is stolen without an interruption of the power supply, even while the wallet is unlocked for staking - but I am no tech expert by any means.

Sounds about right. If you use a strong password to encrypt your wallet, then local attacks are negligible.

Gandalf86

Coin Mage

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 04:50:25 PM

1. Your IP is only known to an entry node of the Tor network. Every member on the Spectre network only communicates via its Tor hidden service address. So No.
2. If you use a public transaction: Yes. If you use a stealth transaction using ring signatures (which is not operable at this moment because too few people use this feature), then No.

namethathasntbeentaken

Activity: 150

update : namewastaken

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 05:37:31 PM

is it safe to leave my xspec on cryptopia?
i just bought 1k

Native TOR+OBFS4  ●  Mobile & Stealth Staking Soon!  ●  Ghost Protocol  ●  Available on Bisq.io
spectre_jbg

Activity: 27

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 05:58:27 PM

is it safe to leave my xspec on cryptopia?
i just bought 1k

I like Cryptopia, but one of the advantages of crypto is that you don't need to trust strangers with your money. It's not hard to run a wallet. I would suggest installing it and transferring your xspec over if you can.
namethathasntbeentaken

Activity: 150

update : namewastaken

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 05:58:51 PM

nvm my last question, already downloaded the wallet
can someone explain to me, how do i backup my data? and if i lose my computer, how do i access my previous wallet?

Native TOR+OBFS4  ●  Mobile & Stealth Staking Soon!  ●  Ghost Protocol  ●  Available on Bisq.io
spectre_jbg

Activity: 27

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 06:08:00 PM

Spectre v1.3.2 Wallet

I'm happy to announce the release of v1.3.2 of the Spectre wallet. This version fixes a bug several people had experienced with their balance and transactions not showing correctly sometimes, and also provides more flexibility with the generation of anonymous transactions using ring signatures. If you are in a hurry and want to trade off anonymity for speed, you can now choose a smaller ring size.

Windows 64-bit, Windows 32-bit and macOS wallet binaries can be found here: https://github.com/spectrecoin/spectre/releases/tag/v1.3.2

The next release will be v1.4, a major release incorporating a modernised fully-native wallet as part of our first step towards mobile wallets, as well as many improvements to the anonymous (stealth) transactions. The v1.4 release will also include binaries for Linux platforms.
skichamp84

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 06:52:07 PM

Is there an uodate procedure? Or do injust install the new wallet? And drag over a .dat file?   Sorry fir the ignorance im new to spectre havent uodated a wallet before.
koYnsta

Activity: 125

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 06:56:15 PM

and here it goes: 

Spectre v1.3.2 Wallet

I'm happy to announce the release of v1.3.2 of the Spectre wallet. This version fixes a bug several people had experienced with their balance and transactions not showing correctly sometimes, and also provides more flexibility with the generation of anonymous transactions using ring signatures. If you are in a hurry and want to trade off anonymity for speed, you can now choose a smaller ring size.

Windows 64-bit, Windows 32-bit and macOS wallet binaries can be found here: https://github.com/spectrecoin/spectre/releases/tag/v1.3.2

The next release will be v1.4, a major release incorporating a modernised fully-native wallet as part of our first step towards mobile wallets, as well as many improvements to the anonymous (stealth) transactions. The v1.4 release will also include binaries for Linux platforms.

thanks for steady updates   Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 129 »
  Print  

Jump to: