Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:20:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining rigs instead of heaters for winter!  (Read 1794 times)
namjey (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 01:46:28 AM

I live in a apartment where I pay all utilities separately. Winter is coming and soon I will also have to pay for the heating. I was thinking to build some more mining rigs to reduce heating fees.
Main ideas is based on the fact that the profit from mining with the rig will be more then the heating cost! If it holds, it's should be great idea for all who live in cold winter region like me!

Any thoughts on this? Anybody planning the same or have done it already?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 03:44:54 AM

It's a reasonable idea except that once winter is over you will have expensive equipment sitting around earning nothing.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
namjey (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 06:18:12 PM

It's a reasonable idea except that once winter is over you will have expensive equipment sitting around earning nothing.
But at least for the winter, it's should be pretty good idea i guess!
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 06:47:35 PM

But it won't pay for itself if you just run it in the winter (unless you have very long winters).

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
cryptocan

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 11:22:38 PM

hmm,
living in canada and having to use heaters for about 7 month in a year it doesn't sound like a bad idea!
Yurickz

Activity: 110

To the Moon!

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 04:51:30 AM

If you get a few R9 390's, you will have a hell of a space heater.

Goosebump

Activity: 161

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 05:54:33 AM

The uses of crypto are limitless haha  Grin .

Sounds like an interesting idea though, could be cost effective as well.
Mike Mayor

Activity: 966
Merit: 535

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 11:19:42 PM

It's a very good idea. Haha let's make a coin called heater coin. Mine for heat and get coin. Miners as heaters is a good idea beit gives use to otherwise useless mining equipment. You could also mine new altcoins before the difficulty goes up and maybe stand to make a killing.

Mining at a loss is fine because you reducing tour electricity bill which you would otherwise have to pay 100% of but maybe mining you've the same hear and even 10% off is still worth it.

Nalbo

Activity: 870
Merit: 125

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 12:04:18 AM

I have a single GPU and I don't have to warm my room in winter when the GPU is running with the windows closed in my bedroom.
And you can shift it to other utility room in summer to save your bedroom from heating.
cryptocan

Activity: 122

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 01:32:52 AM

I live in a apartment where I pay all utilities separately. Winter is coming and soon I will also have to pay for the heating. I was thinking to build some more mining rigs to reduce heating fees.
Main ideas is based on the fact that the profit from mining with the rig will be more then the heating cost! If it holds, it's should be great idea for all who live in cold winter region like me!

Any thoughts on this? Anybody planning the same or have done it already?
I am thinking the same, even checked ant s9 but then I checked a youtube video and it sound like a jet engine !
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 02:28:55 AM

But it won't pay for itself if you just run it in the winter (unless you have very long winters).
He can always sell the miners on ebay in Spring and get some money back. Actually it's possible to make decent money this way.
I'm not doing it because It's difficult to heat up a large house with miners, I'd need a heat distribution system that would blow air to every room, but if OP has a small apartment it's totally doable. The only problem will be the noise.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
CoinOp

Activity: 88
Merit: 11

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 02:38:45 AM

This is possible.  Remember than even regular electric heaters are much more expensive than using natural gas heating. At least where I'm located. 
namjey (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 02:57:15 AM

exactly. It will definitely cut down your heating fees but increase electric fee. However, the profit you get from mining will be more then the fees!
sumangs

Activity: 644
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 11:28:55 AM

It is a good idea but how will you withstand the noise it makes. I think using earmuffs could help but you it cost you some money. I'm not opposing but how could you execute than plan of yours.
Shateriere

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 11:41:08 AM

thats "Two birds with one stone" Grin

atraspect

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 08:11:30 PM

By no means a perfect solution:
If your mining rig is in a case or cabinet (that you are willing to mod) you could use duct hosing to pass the heat outside during the summer and muffle/baffle during the winter.

Smack an air filter and throw a wifi card/wireless bridge in there and you got a portable air purifying/heater.

Now all you need is to find a way to make it cool(darn thermodynamics) and you've got an air conditioner that pays the bills! Cheesy
Zempa

Activity: 140

MoonRunner.io

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2017, 10:07:29 PM

I've thought about this myself. Using my rig in my office instead of a space heater. haha
I'm sure it would help.

Zionatin

Activity: 906
Merit: 262

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 08:00:08 AM

It is a good idea but how will you withstand the noise it makes. I think using earmuffs could help but you it cost you some money. I'm not opposing but how could you execute than plan of yours.

This is true. Maybe underclocking them would help. It will make less noise. I wonder if anyone else can think of a possible solution to that problem.
fossilized

Activity: 86

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 10:04:09 AM

Lol great idea. Too if it gets too warm u might affect the performance of the chips you are using.

It reminds me of a program where police used to find pot growers using infrared cams to detect the plant warmers within buildings.

linenoise

Activity: 304
Merit: 290

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2017, 06:58:26 AM

I actually did this a few years ago when bitcoin spiked in late 2013. I bought 50 x 290x video cards. Had a semi truck show up delivering pallets of goodies. I had over 100 AMPs of power draw all winter long. The boiler never kicked on. I spaced them around the house and kept them out of the bedrooms enough to not be overly loud and I still had to open windows since it was too warm otherwise.   I had to put a few machines other than the house as I ran out of breaker space.   Once the weather got nicer I sold most things on ebay and craiglist for what I paid for.  I primarily mined MAX as that was rather profitable, changing it up when other coins were worth mining.  I came out money ahead so it was a nice experiment but after that winter alt - ASICs were hitting so it wasn't worth doing any longer.

The whole winter I half expected cops to knock on the door because of the spike in electrical use and the non-standard heat making it look like a grow house!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: