Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:47:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tip any website with everywhereium  (Read 613 times)
mav (OP)

Activity: 169
Merit: 107

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 03:40:14 AM

I've noticed the love that reddit tip bot is getting and wanted to see about extending this to the web in general.

The idea is simple - owners of the page add some metadata to the html elements containing the page content, and that data can be used by readers to send tips to the people who created that content.

The project is at the minimum viable product stage of development - see https://everywhereium.com - but beware, it looks pretty raw.

Things that are in the pipeworks (which you can contribute to!) are:

- graphics and css style for the project homepage
- extensions for other browsers
- a javascript library so people without extensions installed can still use it
- marketing / product people to look at the copy on the pages at everywhereium.com and improve it

and most importantly

- some discussion about how to implement an escrow system. This is critical because no sites currently have this metadata and if users can't send tips to any site they like (via escrow), the idea almost certainly won't grow. Site owners need motivation to add the data, and what better way than already having some tips waiting for them.

I can implement most of this myself (and in some cases already had) but want to get others involved in this idea, so if you can code or
'write words good' or create nice stylesheets or graphics, you should definitely put a little bit of time toward the project and contribute to that whole open-source thing. The project is at https://github.com/thedawnrider/everywhereium and there are several issues open for discussion.

Please have a look at the everywhereium.com site and give feedback. This is just an experiment and I am always open to ideas and contributors.

One thing I really wanted to make sure of was not to visually pollute the web with the tip info - the reddit tip bot (especially when verification is used) is so noisy.

Another thing which was important was allowing multiple people to receive tips per page, eg these forums have lots of individual content contributors per page, and I wanted it to work on these pages as well as single-owner pages.

I believe this idea has a lot of potential, I would love to hear what you think.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cybrbeast

Activity: 93
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 02:02:14 AM

For that don't have the tipping enabled I would think you could implement a similar system as the tipbot uses. However how do you notify the admins to tell them that somebody tipped them? Maybe if you try tipping a site without the meta-data the extension could ask you for an email address connected to the site. The tipper could then search the contact section to find it. Maybe a better solution would be to have the option to generate a unique URL, if necessary with password protection, that you could mail (or enter into a contact form) and the receiver could follow instructions on how to claim the tip. If you have the option of generating a unique URL you could also use this as a general way of tipping online, for example you could send the link via Facebook message, IRC, forums, basically to anyone online you can reach privately.

I really like this idea, hope you can find the right people to make and implement it.

mav (OP)

Activity: 169
Merit: 107

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:01:22 AM

Updated the front page to look half-decent (standard bootstrap, but better than no style!)

Also there is now a javascript library which can be included easily on any page. It's demoed on the homepage. This lets userswithout an extension installed be able to send tips. The library will scan the page and put a 'tip' button on the top right of any element that contains the tip property. The tip button will expand when clicked to show a dialog containing that users info. See a demo of the js library in action at https://everywhereium.com

cybrbeast:
My aim is to make it easy to give tips. It seems too much effort to find a contact for the site and submit it to everywhereium etc.
The url idea is more along the right path, but there is still the problem of how to let the receiver know - having to find their email is still too much effort to place on the tipper in my opinion.

I think escrow with the option to search for your url / site is the best way, which allows users to also let the receive know they can just search the page and they should have a tip waiting.

But all this doesn't really solve the primary concern I have which is how to get escrow set up. I don't want to escrow it myself, because it puts too much trust in one person. Even if I could escrow via the most trustworthy bitcoiner on the forum it shouldn't come down to the trustworthiness of one single person.

Anyhow, I hope people enjoy the minor improvements thus far. Seen some other web-wide tipping services pop up on reddit lately, good to see this space being explored with other innovative ideas.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: