Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:03:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scammers are not banned  (Read 301 times)
somacoin (OP)

Activity: 497
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2017, 09:46:12 AM

Ok I heard this is the way it is.
Now just to understand this way of thinking,
what is the reason behind this?
why are Scammers not banned?
Because they'll just create a new account immediately?
Make it much harder to register here.
Introduce much harsher filters.
Make them have to pass a Quiz or something like that.

I'd also like to vouch for a 2 week registration lock
If you register you have to wait 2 weeks to make your first post
Another idea would be to additionally force everyone who would like to register to send in a BTC microtransaction, eg  3$-5$

The trust system seems to be fundamentally broken and doesn't help stop the scammers at all.
Need a reputation system on top of this. Like 2000 Bitcointalk members -1 a user (scammer)'s reputation => account automatically locked, must contact admins to unfreeze

Crush the scammers hard - don't give them their breeding ground to be happy (as now).

Right now they laugh. Make them shiver.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 10:09:09 AM

The trust system seems to be fundamentally broken and doesn't help stop the scammers at all.
Need a reputation system on top of this. Like 2000 Bitcointalk members -1 a user (scammer)'s reputation => account automatically locked, must contact admins to unfreeze

Crush the scammers hard - don't give them their breeding ground to be happy (as now).

that's a terrible idea. people would abuse the shit out of that to get the accounts of people they don't like locked.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 10:34:54 AM

Ok I heard this is the way it is.
Now just to understand this way of thinking,
what is the reason behind this?
why are Scammers not banned?
Because they'll just create a new account immediately?
Make it much harder to register here.
Introduce much harsher filters.

Another idea would be to additionally force everyone who would like to register to send in a BTC microtransaction, eg  3$-5$

I understand your point coming from that end and I could equally suggested that if I fall a victim as well but those suggested point are too strenuous if implemented to the latter and may even have its own fall back. The forum Administrators as well as other reputable high ranking members are really doing alot in keeping the forum clean but the population is high to keep tab on every activities. Also, if you look at every sections where trade and loss of money are being done, there is always a sticky warnings and guidelines in other to keep innocent people safe but some people will choose to ignore and then fall victim. The onus is on everyone to keep himself safe and never trust blindly.
hello_good_sir

Activity: 1008
Merit: 531

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 10:53:30 AM

In the past, scammers were banned.

However i think the main issue is that if the scammer's account was to be banned then it will mean less motivation to pay any of their victims back. The forum is often the only way that the scammer has contact with the users.

An example would be MRKLYE who is actively working to pay off his debts to his lenders, but he has neg trust.

Negative trust is also an expression of opinion. Banning scammers objectively would be extremely difficult to achieve if not impossible, because it will always be opinionated.

marlboroza
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 2270

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 09:36:22 PM

And all new users will have to pass a quiz, not only scammers.
Would you register to forum where you need to wait 2 weeks to post something(as regular forum user)?
Also that won't solve anything because they would probably make hundred accounts.
It's not broken. Why do you think it is?
They will just move to next account. And this:
people would abuse the shit out of that to get the accounts of people they don't like locked.
Bad idea IMO.
6Asmodeus6

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 09:43:46 PM

Those are terrible ideas.Sure they may be effective against most of the scammers but what will happen to the new members.Image being new to the bitcoin world and you sign up here to ask a question or something but you can't because of your "2 week" rule or you can't even sign-up because you didn't pay the microtransaction.It's just not going to work and I'm sure administrators knows this as well but I think that there should be a fix about self managed threads.Scammers can open an obvious scam thread and when I try to warn new or naive users scammer can delete my comment.Leaving a neg. trust doesn't help too much.
HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 09:48:31 PM

The moderation of this forum is more laissez-faire, even now people complain about moderators over stepping bounds or making a ruling they don't agree with, and trying to determine scammers would just add even more stress to the system. My advice is to be *very* cautious with newbie accounts, and look at past posts and trust feedback.

Right now we have the 'Beginners Zone' restriction, and a two week restriction would bar the normal people and the scammers would just make a bunch of new accounts and cycle through when one gets banned.
sumangs

Activity: 644
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 09:09:42 AM

It is the person's fault why he/she gets scammed. Everyone should be aware to the people you are having a deal with. If the offer is far from possible, think twice. We are in the internet and taking an offer to a stranget needs a wise decision making and awareness. Remember that it is not the forum's fault if we have careless decision when it comes to this kind of issues.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: