Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:57:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum ads now blocked by AdBlock Plus EasyList  (Read 3484 times)
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 02:26:32 PM

Yeah, on this site they're okay, but either way they shouldn't just restrict people or get angry over them at blocking them, but the point is if you have adblock on and click onto other sites from here they can be easily blocked too. The problem is there are people out there ( mainly people who rely entirely on ad income because they're useless ) that absolutely hate adblock and even rig their sites to complain whenever you have it turned on, of course I don't visit those sites at all.

I think the problem stems from these pay per click/ pay per impression payment systems, ad people get far too obsessed over silly statistics like that, this is why I like the idea of anonymous ads and sites like it, since the publishers have to pay you first before they can put up the ads.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:59:43 PM

Let's see 'em block this. There's now a random number of invisible "posts" before and after the ad, and they're all (I think) indistinguishable from real posts if you're limited to just CSS selectors. Hopefully the filter maintainers aren't careless or they'll end up blocking random posts.
why are you so dedicated to preserving ads?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 09:00:41 PM

Let's see 'em block this. There's now a random number of invisible "posts" before and after the ad, and they're all (I think) indistinguishable from real posts if you're limited to just CSS selectors. Hopefully the filter maintainers aren't careless or they'll end up blocking random posts.

..because people are paying for them?  Roll Eyes

Signature space available for rent.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 09:33:22 PM

Is it possible to make ads optional for donators/VIPs?
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 09:44:19 PM

Yeah, on this site they're okay, but either way they shouldn't just restrict people or get angry over them at blocking them, but the point is if you have adblock on and click onto other sites from here they can be easily blocked too. The problem is there are people out there ( mainly people who rely entirely on ad income because they're useless ) that absolutely hate adblock and even rig their sites to complain whenever you have it turned on, of course I don't visit those sites at all.

I think the problem stems from these pay per click/ pay per impression payment systems, ad people get far too obsessed over silly statistics like that, this is why I like the idea of anonymous ads and sites like it, since the publishers have to pay you first before they can put up the ads.

I am pretty much done here until they are blocked again. I refuse to use bitcointalk any longer.

Good job theymos. Looks like you will no longer be free to send me shit cause I will no longer request your pages that send scammer ads.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 10:36:04 PM

I am pretty much done here until they are blocked again. I refuse to use bitcointalk any longer.

Good job theymos. Looks like you will no longer be free to send me shit cause I will no longer request your pages that send scammer ads.

Bye  Grin

Ads being unblocked shouldn't be such a big deal.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12873

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 10:57:20 PM

Is it possible to make ads optional for donators/VIPs?

Possible, but do they really bother you that much? I read the forum more than most, and I hardly notice the ads. I'm afraid that if I give people the option, many people will hide ads even when they don't really care whether they see ads or not, just because they can.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12873

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 01:07:10 AM

I'll add an option next week allowing hero members, Donators, and VIPs to disable advertisements.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 03:37:09 AM

I'll add an option next week allowing hero members, Donators, and VIPs to disable advertisements.
That's generous, I hope Hero Members aren't responsible for too large a share of the page views.

Thank you. While the ads really aren't anywhere near as annoying as conventional ones, it just gets kind of old to me seeing the same things again and again. Who knows, maybe I will actually want to bring them back because I want to see what's going on in Bitcoin world. Cheesy
Zaih

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 05:07:46 AM

Hero members?.. That's going to be a large chunk. Maybe make it people with 2,000+ posts? It's just hero member is basically what Full Member was a few months ago.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 05:08:57 AM

You can already block ads by switching to a different theme.. Anyone can do it (but they do miss some other features too).

More ad variety would be cool through.
Vince Torres

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 06:36:43 AM

Not blocked for me atm.

Namecoin.com .bit domain registrar. Register a new .bit domain for just $1!
BTC: 1LpKzg24NHmrxLZbnVphcstV3s7uA8cSnT
LTC: LWHswCFRPouCXTNiT8B9HUVnGrae9eojVg
Xer0

Activity: 826

°^°

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 02:30:35 PM

yeah, really messed up everything here, topics were shown empty!

open your filters and delete this one:
Code:
bitcointalk.org##tr[class^="td_headerandpost"] > td[style="padding: 1px 1px 0pt;"]:first-child:last-child
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 11:48:56 PM

I lost my temper on this big time, theymos. Which I would like to apologize to you for this immature response I made. And hope to see that you forgive me. I will leave that at that, and hope this can be water under the bridge.

That's a good idea, and I don't want you pressured into this over my comment. Like I said, I hope you can forgive me for my comment. And only thing I may suggest is atleast try the non-intrusive way as well.
oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 02:08:56 PM

I like the ads, actually I would like to see more, it's not possible to follow up on every new Bitcoin business, so the ads are a way for me to know what's going on in the economy.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 03:36:32 PM

anyone has been able to disable the ads since day one by changing the forum theme to "SMF Default Theme - Core" granted we don't see self moderated post headders either(is that new?)

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Dougie

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

You are not special.

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 04:31:02 PM

I like the ads, actually I would like to see more, it's not possible to follow up on every new Bitcoin business, so the ads are a way for me to know what's going on in the economy.
Yeah, the ads are interesting and unobtrusive. I may be wrong but I think they are blocked again. They are when I re-enable Ad Block on this site anyway.

Lurking since 2011...
1J4DhU3q6RxxCTfAAcg5ExVK6FfxkmzkTH
redtwitz

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 06:14:50 PM

Some of the ads are getting blocked by ABP's EasyList. Currently, it affects only the ads with a background.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: