Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 11:46:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Capitalism (continued from How do you deal with the thought about taxes)  (Read 12561 times)
ktttn (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 07:45:53 PM

Trading trash. Negative value?
Smaller value, more specific value.
(Value value, value)
Margins.

Profit margin?
Posession of waste products. Whose waste? Our? The county? The state, nation, country?
"Talks revolution for an hour without using any verbs!"

EDIT: Quantum trading with surreal numbers. QUANTUM TRADING WITH SURREAL NUMBERS!

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
crumbcake

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 08:32:39 PM

Trading trash. Negative value?
Smaller value, more specific value.
(Value value, value)
Margins.

Profit margin?
Posession of waste products. Whose waste? Our? The county? The state, nation, country?
"Talks revolution for an hour without using any verbs!"

EDIT: Quantum trading with surreal numbers. QUANTUM TRADING WITH SURREAL NUMBERS!

...and everything gains meaning through repetition:

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - perhaps she'll die!

There was an old lady who swallowed a spider,
That wriggled and wiggled and tickled inside her;
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly;
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!

There was an old lady who swallowed a bird;
How absurd to swallow a bird.
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,

There was an old lady who swallowed a cat;
Fancy that to swallow a cat!
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird,

There was an old lady that swallowed a dog;
What a hog, to swallow a dog;
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,

There was an old lady who swallowed a cow,
I don't know how she swallowed a cow;
She swallowed the cow to catch the dog,
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,

There was an old lady who swallowed a horse
She swallowed a horse?  Is she dead?!
                                                         Of course!
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 03:55:35 PM

Market law.
How are new laws created in a market law system?
Highest bidder win and you'll get soylent green at nearest streetcorner.  Tongue
Gross.

Also completely inaccurate.

Again, I go back to Coke and Pepsi. Why does a Coke drinker buy Coke? Because he likes how it tastes. Why does a Pepsi drinker buy Pepsi? Again, because he likes how it tastes. In a market law system, providers of law (Arbitrators, defense agencies) would advertise what laws they would uphold and enforce. You would select the provider that gave you the laws that you wanted. Just like with Coke and Pepsi, most of those ingredients would be the same or very similar. Few people would want a law enabling murder, for instance. But there would be differences, some people might wish to allow the use of marijuana, others may wish to outlaw even the use of tobacco products. "International" laws would likely end up being the laws held in common by the most societies, or be specific to the two interacting societies.

Might not be perfect, but it beats majority rule by a long shot.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
crumbcake

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 05:15:12 PM

Market law.
Highest bidder win and you'll get soylent green at nearest streetcorner.  Tongue
Gross.

Again, I go back to Coke and Pepsi. Why does a Coke drinker buy Coke? Because he likes how it tastes. Why does a Pepsi drinker buy Pepsi? Again, because he likes how it tastes.

Neat example, it's as if you've intentionally picked it to see if anyone notices.  Remember "The Pepsi Challenge"?  Well, many Coke drinkers prefered it to coke in blind taste tests.  Remember The New Coke"?  Did you think Coke didn't conduct taste tests before marketing it?!  (Hint:  Did they ever!)  Now, how did the New Coke fare?  Right.  One of the biggest marketing blunders in history.
You were saying?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 05:20:57 PM

Market law.
Gross.

Again, I go back to Coke and Pepsi. Why does a Coke drinker buy Coke? Because he likes how it tastes. Why does a Pepsi drinker buy Pepsi? Again, because he likes how it tastes.

Neat example, it's as if you've intentionally picked it to see if anyone notices.  Remember "The Pepsi Challenge"?  Well, many Coke drinkers prefered it to coke in blind taste tests.  Remember The New Coke"?  Did you think Coke didn't conduct taste tests before marketing it?!  (Hint:  Did they ever!)  Now, how did the New Coke fare?  Right.  One of the biggest marketing blunders in history.
You were saying?
I'm sorry, did you have a point that actually applied to the discussion at hand?

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
crumbcake

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 05:27:39 PM

Market law.
Gross.

You were saying?
I'm sorry, did you have a point that actually applied to the discussion at hand?

Unless you make a habit of illustrating your flawed reasoning with demonstrably flawed examples, then ... yes?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 05:40:45 PM

Unless you make a habit of illustrating your flawed reasoning with demonstrably flawed examples, then ... yes?
Well, feel free to make it, then. Please, remember that the Coke/Pepsi bit was an analogy. Here is my actual point:
In a market law system, providers of law (Arbitrators, defense agencies) would advertise what laws they would uphold and enforce. You would select the provider that gave you the laws that you wanted. Just like with Coke and Pepsi, most of those ingredients would be the same or very similar. Few people would want a law enabling murder, for instance. But there would be differences, some people might wish to allow the use of marijuana, others may wish to outlaw even the use of tobacco products. "International" laws would likely end up being the laws held in common by the most societies, or be specific to the two interacting societies.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 05:46:06 PM

*Deep breath*
A factory takeover is always a peaceful, organized process if the profiteer being deposed has the good sense to gtfo, and doesn't call in the riot cops, instead opting to let the rightful owners, the workers, take over.
It is shameful ignorance to say riot cops show up in response to violence. As a rule, with negligible exceptions, the police instigate the violence. Can't have a riot without riot cops. Can't have capitalism either. Ive been arrested twice, both times in NYC parks during riots that started after the storm troopers marched in.
Rothbard, if I run into it in one of my republican (token cheap shot at "ancaps") buddies' houses, I swear to you personally I will read. I mean this
Until then, we make our own points. Yes?
Also, Bakunin>Marx. I raise you a Kropotkin and half a deCleyre.
You're a CEO? Cool. Seriously, cool. Fortune 500,000,000 I presume? Less than 1000 wagesla- er
..employees?
Not the same thing or even the same order of thing as the examples I mentioned. To claim the state does not facilitate capitalism is due to a misindoctrination.
The Capitalist invented the wage slave, darlin.'

so wait. if i build a piece of capital and then hire people to operate it, the moment i do so the capital ceases to be my property and becomes their property instead? If this was ever reflected in law you could be sure that no sane person would ever build a factory and a society with no factories would be very poor indeed.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
crumbcake

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 06:01:28 PM

Well, feel free to make it, then. Please, remember that the Coke/Pepsi bit was an analogy. Here is my actual point:
Here is my point:
In the Coke/Pepsi analogy you offered, people do not choose Coke or Pepsi based on the taste (the empirical data was collected from unrefuted studies, conducted by both Coke & Pepsi), but for reasons not readily apparent to them (packaging, brand recognition, advertising, etc.).  In other words, the Coke vs. Pepsi example illustrates the exact opposite of what you suggest it does -- people don't choose Coke based on taste, enlightened self-interest or any other reason most of them would claim.  They choose Coke 'coz Coke is Coke & people don't always know why they do stuff.  If this is the analogy you chose to illustrate your point, should i expect your reasoning to contain similar flaws?  Clear & self-evident at first glance, but obviously false when examined by anyone who knows a bit about the subject?  That's my point.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 06:05:31 PM

Here is my point:
In the Coke/Pepsi analogy you offered, people do not choose Coke or Pepsi based on the taste (the empirical data was collected from unrefuted studies, conducted by both Coke & Pepsi), but for reasons not readily apparent to them (packaging, brand recognition, advertising, etc.).  In other words, the Coke vs. Pepsi example illustrates the exact opposite of what you suggest it does -- people don't choose Coke based on taste, enlightened self-interest or any other reason most of them would claim.  They choose Coke 'coz Coke is Coke & people don't always know why they do stuff.  If this is the analogy you chose to illustrate your point, should i expect your reasoning to contain similar flaws?  Clear & self-evident at first glance, but obviously false when examined by anyone who knows a bit about the subject?  That's my point.
So, you're addressing a completely unrelated subject. Here, let me repeat my point, so maybe it will eventually sink in:
In a market law system, providers of law (Arbitrators, defense agencies) would advertise what laws they would uphold and enforce. You would select the provider that gave you the laws that you wanted. Just like with Coke and Pepsi, most of those ingredients would be the same or very similar. Few people would want a law enabling murder, for instance. But there would be differences, some people might wish to allow the use of marijuana, others may wish to outlaw even the use of tobacco products. "International" laws would likely end up being the laws held in common by the most societies, or be specific to the two interacting societies.

Address this point, and not my analogy, and we can continue the discussion.

crumbcake

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 06:05:53 PM
Last edit: May 28, 2013, 09:31:46 PM by crumbcake

*Deep breath*
A factory takeover is always a peaceful, organized process if the profiteer being deposed has the good sense to gtfo, and doesn't call in the riot cops, instead opting to let the rightful owners, the workers, take over.
It is shameful ignorance to say riot cops show up in response to violence. As a rule, with negligible exceptions, the police instigate the violence. Can't have a riot without riot cops. Can't have capitalism either. Ive been arrested twice, both times in NYC parks during riots that started after the storm troopers marched in.
Rothbard, if I run into it in one of my republican (token cheap shot at "ancaps") buddies' houses, I swear to you personally I will read. I mean this
Until then, we make our own points. Yes?
Also, Bakunin>Marx. I raise you a Kropotkin and half a deCleyre.
You're a CEO? Cool. Seriously, cool. Fortune 500,000,000 I presume? Less than 1000 wagesla- er
..employees?
Not the same thing or even the same order of thing as the examples I mentioned. To claim the state does not facilitate capitalism is due to a misindoctrination.
The Capitalist invented the wage slave, darlin.'

so wait. if i build a piece of capital and then hire people to operate it, the moment i do so the capital ceases to be my property and becomes their property instead? If this was ever reflected in law you could be sure that no sane person would ever build a factory and a society with no factories would be very poor indeed.

You're ok 'till you get to the end of your last sentence -- i guess that would be part two of your compound conclusion.  
The answer's no.  No sane person would ever hoard enough capital to build a factory, which is the desired result.  Don't know about OP, but i'm open for business -- ask away.
crumbcake

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 06:11:07 PM

Here is my point:
So, you're addressing a completely unrelated subject. Here, let me repeat my point, so maybe it will eventually sink in:
No, i am addressing the the subject, simply not on the turf you'd like to defend it on.  First, agree that you often rely on examples you know absolutely nothing about, using them as analogies to explain topics you Huh
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 06:13:00 PM

Here is my point:
No, i am addressing the the subject, simply not on the turf you'd like to defend it on.  First, agree that you often rely on examples you know absolutely nothing about, using them as analogies to explain topics you Huh
So, you have no argument. Great. Welcome to the iggy list, and I'll wait for FinShaggy to address my point that I was making to him (not you). Have a nice life.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 06:15:09 PM

Just to make it clear:
Market law.

In a market law system, providers of law (Arbitrators, defense agencies) would advertise what laws they would uphold and enforce. You would select the provider that gave you the laws that you wanted. Most of those ingredients would be the same or very similar. Few people would want a law enabling murder, for instance. But there would be differences, some people might wish to allow the use of marijuana, others may wish to outlaw even the use of tobacco products. "International" laws would likely end up being the laws held in common by the most societies, or be specific to the two interacting societies.

crumbcake

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 06:17:43 PM

Here is my point:
So, you have no argument. Great. Welcome to the iggy list, and I'll wait for FinShaggy to address my point that I was making to him (not you). Have a nice life.

Why do you hate being wrong so much? Huh  Everyone makes blunders, some choose to crash & burn, some recover gracefully.  
crumbcake

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 06:36:41 PM

And just to make it clear to you (dang hard, being on your ignore list):

Again, I go back to Coke and Pepsi. (1) Why does a Coke drinker buy Coke? Because he likes how it tastes. (2) Why does a Pepsi drinker buy Pepsi? Again, because he likes how it tastes. In a market law system, providers of law (Arbitrators, defense agencies) would advertise what laws they would uphold and enforce. You would select the provider that gave you the laws that you wanted. (3) Just like with Coke and Pepsi, most of those ingredients would be the same or very similar. Few people would want a law enabling murder, for instance. But there would be differences, some people might wish to allow the use of marijuana, others may wish to outlaw even the use of tobacco products. "International" laws would likely end up being the laws held in common by the most societies, or be specific to the two interacting societies.

I'll lay out your logic step-by-step:
1.  Coke drinkers buy Coke because they like the taste.  This statement is false.
2.  Pepsi drinkers buy Pepsi because they like the taste.  This statement is also false.
3.  The following proposition is "Just like with Coke & Pepsi."  The following text, regardless of its content, should be disregarded.  Like the preceding statements,  it is also false.

By agreeing with myrkul's logic & refusing to read the text he obviously wished for me to disregard, I wound up on his ignore list.   Huh Sad

Edit:  Perhaps mykul wanted me to solve for ~A? (not A).  The solution set can only be expressed as ~A, or "everything imaginable and then some just not A".
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 06:37:28 PM

Why do you hate being wrong so much? Huh  Everyone makes blunders, some choose to crash & burn, some recover gracefully.  
Once again, feel free to address my point, and not my analogy. Until then, toodles.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 06:42:38 PM

Again, I go back to Coke and Pepsi. (1) Why does a Coke drinker buy Coke? Because he likes how it tastes. (2) Why does a Pepsi drinker buy Pepsi? Again, because he likes how it tastes. In a market law system, providers of law (Arbitrators, defense agencies) would advertise what laws they would uphold and enforce. You would select the provider that gave you the laws that you wanted. (3) Just like with Coke and Pepsi, most of those ingredients would be the same or very similar. Few people would want a law enabling murder, for instance. But there would be differences, some people might wish to allow the use of marijuana, others may wish to outlaw even the use of tobacco products. "International" laws would likely end up being the laws held in common by the most societies, or be specific to the two interacting societies.

1.  Coke drinkers buy Coke because they like the taste.  This statement is false.
2.  Pepsi drinkers buy Pepsi because they like the taste.  This statement is also false.
3.  The following proposition is "Just like with Coke & Pepsi."  The following text, regardless of its content, should be disregarded.  Like the preceding statements,  it is also false.

By agreeing with myrkul's logic & refusing to read the text he obviously wished for me to disregard, I wound up on his ignore list.   Huh Sad
Very well, let's look at those statements, shall we?
(1) Why does a Coke drinker buy Coke? Because he likes how it tastes. (debatable)
(2) Why does a Pepsi drinker buy Pepsi? Again, because he likes how it tastes.  (debatable)
(3) Just like with Coke and Pepsi, most of those ingredients would be the same or very similar. (verifiable fact. The ingredients list of Coke and Pepsi are nearly identical until you get to the flavorings.)
Intervening statement ignored: In a market law system, providers of law (Arbitrators, defense agencies) would advertise what laws they would uphold and enforce. You would select the provider that gave you the laws that you wanted.
Conclusion: Strawman. By persisting in a strawman, you ended up on the ignore list.

crumbcake

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 06:57:12 PM

1.  Coke drinkers buy Coke because they like the taste.  This statement is false.
2.  Pepsi drinkers buy Pepsi because they like the taste.  This statement is also false.
3.  The following proposition is "Just like with Coke & Pepsi."  The following text, regardless of its content, should be disregarded.  Like the preceding statements,  it is also false.

By agreeing with myrkul's logic & refusing to read the text he obviously wished for me to disregard, I wound up on his ignore list.   Huh Sad
(1) Why does a Coke drinker buy Coke? Because he likes how it tastes. (debatable)
(2) Why does a Pepsi drinker buy Pepsi? Again, because he likes how it tastes.  (debatable)
(3) Just like with Coke and Pepsi, most of those ingredients would be the same or very similar. (verifiable fact. The ingredients list of Coke and Pepsi are nearly identical until you get to the flavorings.)
Conclusion: Strawman. By persisting in a strawman, you ended up on the ignore list.

Strawman?  You come back with strawman after putting me on ignore?  No.  The concept of strawman used to lie in barren & inhospitable domain of high school debate clubs & intro phil. courses.  Now it's a frickin' meme, along with any-other-logical-fallacy-by-name.  Bonus if Latin.
No, myrkul, this is not a strawman argument.  This is you being called out for pontificating to wasted children & trying to bluff your way out of an undefendable position.  It doesn't work.  Bad strategy.  Don't be the fool defending a bridgehead he knows he can't hold!  Let the frickin' dogs overrun it & live to fight another day.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 07:05:46 PM

Intervening statement ignored: In a market law system, providers of law (Arbitrators, defense agencies) would advertise what laws they would uphold and enforce. You would select the provider that gave you the laws that you wanted.
Strawman? 
Yes, textbook:
The straw man fallacy occurs in the following pattern of argument:
  • Person 1 has position X.
  • Person 2 disregards certain key points of X and instead presents the superficially similar position Y.
  • Person 2 attacks position Y, concluding that X is false/incorrect/flawed.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: