Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:17:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2017-08-16] ProtonMail now includes Bitcoin support for paid accounts!  (Read 4216 times)
Riddikulo (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 04:36:08 PM

ProtonMail is joining the cryptocurrency revolution, and starting from today, Bitcoin is one of our officially accepted payment methods.

Starting from version 3.11 of ProtonMail, it is now possible to pay for premium ProtonMail secure email account using Bitcoin. We have designed the payment system to work seamlessly so that Bitcoin payments are automatically converted to ProtonMail credits which can be used to pay for upgrades, pay invoices, or top up your account. This feature was long overdue, so we are glad to finally introduce this.

Long time followers of ProtonMail will know that we actually have a deep connection with Bitcoin, going all the way back to the very beginning of ProtonMail’s story. We have always been quite interested in cryptocurrencies and blockchain, as they empower the same principles that inspired us to create ProtonMail. These are the principles of freedom, privacy, and an Internet ecosystem where all have an equal opportunity to thrive, free from many of the artificial constructs that control commerce today.

Our appreciation of cryptocurrencies deepened after we had a first hand experience with the potential of Bitcoin. Back in 2014 when ProtonMail first launched, our first community fundraiser was infamously frozen by PayPal, leaving us without access to the funds necessary to run the service. However, thanks to Bitcoin and the support of the Bitcoin community, we were able to continue to receive funds via Bitcoin ensuring the success of the project.

Three years on, ProtonMail has come a long way, and we are still proud to have many users from the global cryptocurrency community. As we mentioned in our guide on how to buy Bitcoins, secure email can actually play an important role in keeping Bitcoins secure, either as an email address to use with online Bitcoin wallets or exchanges, or for the storage of sensitive data.

Read full here:
https://protonmail.com/blog/bitcoin-secure-email/
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 10:52:47 PM

Better late than never of course, but I don't understand why they haven't implemented Bitcoin way sooner.

They should have implemented Bitcoin as alternative payment option in case the centralized payment services would at some point start to block payments to Protonmail.

Other than that, with the greatly increased price, it's very interesting to sign up for a year plan instead of a monthly payment structure. I am definitely going to be one of the first to pay with Bitcoin.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 10:11:24 AM

Better late than never of course, but I don't understand why they haven't implemented Bitcoin way sooner.

I always thought that ProtonMail was accepting Bitcoin, but turns out, it wasn't. Roll Eyes I never bothered to check for payment options because I only used their free mail plan, as that option is sufficient enought for me. I too find it quite a weird situation that they haven't been into Bitcoin from the very beginning. These are the services that should all use Bitcoin as payment option by default. People use ProtonMail for a reason, and that's why they should have implemented Bitcoin for more privacy centric convenience. But hey, as you also pointed out, better late than never...
Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 11:22:10 AM

I always thought that ProtonMail was accepting Bitcoin, but turns out, it wasn't.
They always accepted it informally.  You just had to send BTC to their donation address and contact their email to tell them you wanted to upgrade your account.

The difference is that now they've made it more convenient by adding an automated way to pay with it (something which ordinary merchants all have, of course).

Proton Mail has always been super popular with crypto nerds.  Loads of LocalBitcoins traders use it and other services (like Chipmixer) use it too.  It's important for encryption to protect all the personal information that you might send via email.
Riddikulo (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 12:31:57 PM

I actually tried to buy subscription by bitcoin but... I put small fee and it about 2 days bitcoin unconfirmed...
Hope transaction will become confirmed and then I will try payment plan of Protonmail! Will write later about this!

And also problem, that now companies like this need to add not only bitcoin but others cryptocurrencies due to high fee of bitcoin.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: