Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:24:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH Metropolis is coming, what to expect?  (Read 2624 times)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 09:29:17 PM

Since the difficulty bomb affects ALL miners pretty much equally, it's not going to have ANY noticeable effect on Ethereum profitability.
It's a really stupid concept and a total waste of time - whoever came up with the idea was NOT THINKING.

The Ethereum "reduce reward per block" is what's going to hammer profitability, though it seems to be designed to be a gradual thing.

ZCash IS as profitable as ETH - on SOME cards, particularly the higher-end Nvidia 1080 and 1080 ti where it is MORE profitable (it's been ballpark even with ETH on the 1070 most of the last couple months).
 It's generally lower on most current AMD cards, but AMD is NOT ALL THAT MINERS USE this time around (unlike Litecoin/X11 craze days where AMD had a clear advantage at the time) and again it's been CLOSE.

Given how the ETH folks are implimenting things, I don't really see a "sudden" fallout for a while but I do see a gradual move as the profitability gradually drops for the next few months.

A big price move would negate that estimate however....

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kompik

Activity: 463
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 10:31:45 PM
Last edit: August 26, 2017, 10:41:49 PM by Kompik

Since the difficulty bomb affects ALL miners pretty much equally, it's not going to have ANY noticeable effect on Ethereum profitability.
It's a really stupid concept and a total waste of time - whoever came up with the idea was NOT THINKING.

The Ethereum "reduce reward per block" is what's going to hammer profitability, though it seems to be designed to be a gradual thing.

ZCash IS as profitable as ETH - on SOME cards, particularly the higher-end Nvidia 1080 and 1080 ti where it is MORE profitable (it's been ballpark even with ETH on the 1070 most of the last couple months).
 It's generally lower on most current AMD cards, but AMD is NOT ALL THAT MINERS USE this time around (unlike Litecoin/X11 craze days where AMD had a clear advantage at the time) and again it's been CLOSE.

Given how the ETH folks are implimenting things, I don't really see a "sudden" fallout for a while but I do see a gradual move as the profitability gradually drops for the next few months.

A big price move would negate that estimate however....

What the? You are seeing the ice age already for these two months and you can see the effects and you are still saying that it has no impact on profitability? I dont even know what to say, are you blind or totally ignorant?

What you are saying is of course totally wrong. The difficulty risens and therefore miners cannot find blocks as fast as they could. So in reality this prolongs the Block Time and therefore reducing ALL MINERS PROFITABILITY. So ice age, rising diff for all = higher block time ( from 15 to 24 sec) = totally shitty profits for everyone.

The reduced block reward to 3 will have absolutely no impact because the block time will revert back to 15 sec. So those two effects will cancel out.

You really really think that vitalik and other eth devs are so stupid?

Bitrated user: Kompik.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 10:25:14 PM

The REAL, PRIMARY reason profitablity has dropped over the last 2 months is that lots of miners have been adding LOTS MORE RIGS with LOTS MORE GPUS chasing the same rewards and thus diluting the rewards between those LOTS MORE GPUS - coupled with ETH pricing and block payouts being nearly flat over that timeframe.

The diff increase is a mostly a byproduct of MORE FOLKS CHASING THE SAME REWARDS coupled with the (so far small) ARTIFICIAL increase, and not a direct impact on profitabilty (though it does have an indirect effect).
 Ice age on the other hand, so far, has had a very SMALL effect on the difficulty.

The Ice Age artificial increase does NOT affect profitability, only the "more GPUs mining" part of diff increase does because that does NOT affect all miners equally, while the Ice Age artificial diff increase DOES affects everyone equally.
 I continue to state it is a stupid concept with no real reason to exist, since it affects all miners EQUALLY and doesn't change the rewards gained from any particular block - it's the dropping BLOCK PAYOUT that is effecting that.
 It also doesn't affect block rate over the long term.

Consider Bitcoin, which also uses a difficulty system which has gone up a TON more than ETH has yet the block are still targeting the same timeframe to be issued - it's just SHORT TERM that adjustments get made due to diff changes - and in the case of ETH the "short term" is very short indeed.

You might want to consider looking into ALL of the facts before you call someone else ignorant.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 10:43:47 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2017, 11:00:34 PM by Vann

The REAL, PRIMARY reason profitablity has dropped over the last 2 months is that lots of miners have been adding LOTS MORE RIGS with LOTS MORE GPUS chasing the same rewards and thus diluting the rewards between those LOTS MORE GPUS - coupled with ETH pricing and block payouts being nearly flat over that timeframe.

The diff increase is a mostly a byproduct of MORE FOLKS CHASING THE SAME REWARDS coupled with the (so far small) ARTIFICIAL increase, and not a direct impact on profitabilty (though it does have an indirect effect).
 Ice age on the other hand, so far, has had a very SMALL effect on the difficulty.

The Ice Age artificial increase does NOT affect profitability, only the "more GPUs mining" part of diff increase does because that does NOT affect all miners equally, while the Ice Age artificial diff increase DOES affects everyone equally.
 I continue to state it is a stupid concept with no real reason to exist, since it affects all miners EQUALLY and doesn't change the rewards gained from any particular block - it's the dropping BLOCK PAYOUT that is effecting that.
 It also doesn't affect block rate over the long term.

Consider Bitcoin, which also uses a difficulty system which has gone up a TON more than ETH has yet the block are still targeting the same timeframe to be issued - it's just SHORT TERM that adjustments get made due to diff changes - and in the case of ETH the "short term" is very short indeed.

You might want to consider looking into ALL of the facts before you call someone else ignorant.

It's true the ETH network hashrate has increased exponentially, which cause the rewards to be diluted by all those mining. But since the ICE AGE effects began back in May, the difficulty is artificially adjusted according to programmed difficulty bomb, not the network hashrate. The artificially high difficulty along with the increasing block times most definitely affect everyone's profitability by slowing down the amount of blocks mined in the same time frame. Less blocks = less rewards = less profit for EVERYONE. That's the main reason ETH is no longer the most profitable coin to mine, since the difficulty bomb on August 25th and not because there are more people mining ETH.

Wait until the next ICE AGE difficulty bomb adjustment on September 24th and tell me if has no affect on profitability, LOL. At the current price, ETH won't be profitable to mine AT ALL for most people, until the hard fork scheduled for the end of September that will undue the artificial difficulty bomb adjustments and go back to adjusting the difficulty for the network hashrate along with reducing the block times back to 15 seconds and reducing the reward.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: