Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 01:55:35 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What Brought You To Bitcoin  (Read 3450 times)
PiaggioCaptain

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:21:08 AM

I listen to TWiT (This Week in Tech), hosted by Leo Laporte. I heard about BitCoin a few times on the podcast. I looked into it and noticed the price was around $55 USD per coin but it had recently been $254!

Figured I had to look more into this! I now own 1.39 BTC and bought around $75 per. Sure wish I was more ahead of the curve on this. Oh well...
chalidore

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:32:41 AM

Started studying U.S. foreign policy after 9/11. My political awakening followed. I found a money trail connecting most of the worst atrocities in history to the international banks. I started hating banks. Just when I thought I couldn't hate banks anymore, the great recession hit, and I found a way. There is no word in the English language to describe how hideously evil the international bankers are. As my research continued, my hatred grew. I started watching Max Keiser. Max introduced me to bitcoin in the Summer of 2011. My life has never been the same since.

I wish there was a follow button so I could follow you Chalidore. Enlightened one.

Do you twitter?

Why doesn't this forum have a follow function?

Thanks. Glad to know reading all those books and watching all those documentaries made me wise enough to impress somebody other than my wife.
This is my fifth post, so I will be leaving the newbie section now. I plan on posting mostly in custom hardware and economic speculation.
If you wish to support my lifelong quest of exposing bankers for the corrupt moth hair foo cars that they are, please send some BTC to:
14PLbwsDP4K8JkJ3V3GVTe8x8T6KsAo4bj
biliteen

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:57:50 AM

The Greek government-debt crisis is the main reason for it
AlwaysNew

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:03:44 AM

A friend told me about it and I figured I'd try to get in before it crowds up.
jdany

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

Inspired

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:44:57 AM

I'm an AM talkshow host.  My co-host brought Bitcoin up in conversation.  (I think it was a few days after the crash.)

I didn't know much about it, but as I was closing out the show, I said I would throw a computer together and try it out - and the phone-lines lit up with callers interested in following the story.

The next day, I went to Best Buy and bought a 7850 and started mining.
It took me 20 days to get to my first bitcoin. 
A few upgrades later, and I had my next bitcoin in 10 days.
I blogged the steps I was taking - and my audience fell asleep with boredom.
I've since stopped even mentioning the word on the air.  The perception was get rich quick - and $10 worth of bitcoins a day wasn't impressing anyone.
Now, it's just my own little obsession.

thecryptokeeper

Activity: 54

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:59:59 AM

I've heard of Bitcoins back in 2009. At a quick glance, I thought it was like Paypal. Just another payment processor. As the years past, I ignored it and didn't think nothing much about it until I saw an article on Mashable about a Canadian man selling his home and willing to accept payment via Bitcoins. Then I was in awe! What is Bitcoin? What can I do with it? From there I did my research.
Illimensky

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:07:38 AM

I first got into Bitcoin from this article in the New York Times.  Then I got Bitcoin-Qt, and got my first bitcoin (or a fraction thereof) from free.btc.pt.
ManBearCoin

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:18:38 AM

This guy and his fellow central bankers monopolistic control brings ppl to bitcoin daily.

http://colunistas.ig.com.br/ricardogallo/files/2012/01/Helicopter-ben-bernanke-1.jpg
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:22:09 AM

I'd vaguely heard about it in the last year or so.  More recently a colleague who shares my interest in alternative currencies mentioned it and I decided to find out more.  I found a few sites where you can earn or receive bitcoins, tried out a couple wallets and started receiving bitcoins from the websites.  Bitcoinget is hands down the best bitcoin earning website I've encountered.

I really got into bitcoins during the couple weeks back in March when the value of Bitcoins climbed from $90 to $265 and then fell back down to $60 and back up to where it is now.

Although I don't really understand it, I'm fascinated by the way Bitcoin is introduced into circulation and all the algorithms and high math and computing power that goes into it.
biliteen

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:50:52 AM

For me, I am in Financial Services and Business Analytic's so the premise of a non-sovereign, economic majority based current, with cash, check and card attributes, is worth investigating!!
thattalldude

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 03:22:36 AM

Finally decided it's for real and here to stay. In the process of cleaning out my excess 'stuff' and hitting ebay with it, decided to use revenues to get some ASIC mining gear and see if I can make enough to at least cover rent every month. And my inner early adopter was screaming 'take a chance!'
PiOfCube

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 03:27:33 AM

This is more of a return for me... I tried some BitCoin mining a while ago... But back again, though I can't find my old backup of my wallet from then... Never mind, it was just about 0.2 or so BTC... Lesson learned ;-)
CryptoJunky (OP)

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 04:37:40 AM

I'm an AM talkshow host.  My co-host brought Bitcoin up in conversation.  (I think it was a few days after the crash.)

I didn't know much about it, but as I was closing out the show, I said I would throw a computer together and try it out - and the phone-lines lit up with callers interested in following the story.

The next day, I went to Best Buy and bought a 7850 and started mining.
It took me 20 days to get to my first bitcoin.  
A few upgrades later, and I had my next bitcoin in 10 days.
I blogged the steps I was taking - and my audience fell asleep with boredom.
I've since stopped even mentioning the word on the air.  The perception was get rich quick - and $10 worth of bitcoins a day wasn't impressing anyone.
Now, it's just my own little obsession.

Do you think the outcome with your audience would have been any different if there were it simpler and easier to mine Bitcoin? Either way cool story. Maybe you'll be able to utter the word once again when Bitcoin goes through its next cycle of media attention.

Edit: Misplaced comma.

bandjhughes

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 04:41:16 AM

An email with the topic "What is Bitcoin?" started it for me.
darkreaper_44

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:02:39 AM

lol to be honest it was the thing i never thought would lead me to something like this

Aka

Minecraft lmao

it led me to btc
emunebtk

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:31:53 AM

searching for a new VPN Provider and noticed they accepted Bit coins as payment..I was a curious boy and googled bit coins and now the past 2 weeks of my life has been consumed trying to get as much mining power from 2 crappy pc,s and 2 newer macs. Everything running smoothly but need to start the tweaking process..oh im addicted!
QuandtJr

Activity: 4

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:37:43 AM

Too much money available led me to bitcoin.

It amazes me!
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:54:02 AM

Background in finance/economics and political science interested in the very concept of a deflationary currency that is not accounted for in modern economics. Rather than fear such things I am very interested in the outcome even if it will be inflationary as long as I live Smiley

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
reiqo

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:09:01 AM

Came to bitcoin because I was really interested in the idea of making profit letting computer work for you  Roll Eyes
egersh

Activity: 29

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:11:11 AM

I remember reading about it in '09 and thinking it was a terrible idea that would never succeed.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: