Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 11:47:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wooden Physical Bitcoins.  (Read 2924 times)
ironcross360 (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Troll of the Fourth Reich.

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:49:08 PM

Well, ok..
I'm out for this.  Raw untreated wood with the private key etched into it and your word that you haven't kept it?  Thank you, but no thank you very much.

I'll buy a Casascius coin or make a paper wallet.

Why are you just staring at this? Just send it! 1MHZjADM41ttjbPUiTPYWGYGm45XLf8ZeS

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ktttn

Activity: 126

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 11:05:24 PM

Why do they call him ironcross360? Because when you read any of his threads, you turn 360 degrees and walk away.
*spintwirl*
*walkwalkwalk*
*bump*
Shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

I <3 this idea. Folks can profit from making their own money. This sort of lovelyness is whats gonna make btc go biggest-time.
I'd like to see mBTC and uBTC denominations, yo.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
ironcross360 (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:07:47 PM

same here, If $1 was 1 satioshi id be rich

Why are you just staring at this? Just send it! 1MHZjADM41ttjbPUiTPYWGYGm45XLf8ZeS
bennett616

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

http://www.freebitcointips.co.uk/

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 01:22:37 AM

Why do they call him ironcross360? Because when you read any of his threads, you turn 360 degrees and walk away.

Hahaha Tongue

Andy B

johnniewalker
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 10:32:47 AM

Don't you think(everyone who wants to create their own physical bitcoin) other people have tried to make physical coins? Casascius has it down. Period. He was the first and is the best. I'm pretty sure he manufactures his own blank/holos, and he has a detailed explanation of how generates keypairs offline, and in such a manner that its impossible for him to know a single key.

Do ANY of you have these capabilities or know what they entail?
I would be very surprised if ANY other physical bitcoin became popular-it'd have to be VERY special to compete with the original Casascius coin.

Anyone can say they want to create their own physical coin, or physical anything. All you need is to generate a keypair and turn it into a barcode-my grandma could do it.

To even get started, you'd have to find a LEGIT (tough in China!) vendor on ec21.com or something who makes custom rounds out of x material. You would also need to find someone to order custom holograms. And these things come with a minimal order that is NOT so minimal. So if you flop, you flop hard. There are the logistics of getting the actual physical materials you need, now you need to figure out how to generate keypairs without POSSIBLY seeing them (no one will trust you otherwise).

Not to sound like a dick, but I laugh whenever I see a post like this. Everyone LOVES to think they've come up with the "best new thing". But the thing is-[almost] no one even comes close.
ironcross360 (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:49:50 AM

I know manufacturers that make custom holograms
Don't you think(everyone who wants to create their own physical bitcoin) other people have tried to make physical coins? Casascius has it down. Period. He was the first and is the best. I'm pretty sure he manufactures his own blank/holos, and he has a detailed explanation of how generates keypairs offline, and in such a manner that its impossible for him to know a single key.

Do ANY of you have these capabilities or know what they entail?
I would be very surprised if ANY other physical bitcoin became popular-it'd have to be VERY special to compete with the original Casascius coin.

Anyone can say they want to create their own physical coin, or physical anything. All you need is to generate a keypair and turn it into a barcode-my grandma could do it.

To even get started, you'd have to find a LEGIT (tough in China!) vendor on ec21.com or something who makes custom rounds out of x material. You would also need to find someone to order custom holograms. And these things come with a minimal order that is NOT so minimal. So if you flop, you flop hard. There are the logistics of getting the actual physical materials you need, now you need to figure out how to generate keypairs without POSSIBLY seeing them (no one will trust you otherwise).

Not to sound like a dick, but I laugh whenever I see a post like this. Everyone LOVES to think they've come up with the "best new thing". But the thing is-[almost] no one even comes close.

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:11:50 PM

EVERYONE know manufacturers that do custom holograms. The problem is "volume". Unless you're going to manufacture (and SELL) several thousands of your coins designing a custom hologram is prohibitively expensive. There's a reason why they most don't publically quote prices for custom work. It's the old adage "If you have to ask, it's too expensive". Free hint: Most hologram manufacturers will not even touch a <10000 sticker order. 10000 stickers @2cm by 2cm will set you back about 1500 $.
bennett616

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

http://www.freebitcointips.co.uk/

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 01:20:02 PM

If you are serious about this I would take pre-orders to gauge interest. Personally I do not think the idea would be worthwhile because the niche has already been taken. It just seems too be a "how can I get onto the physical coin bandwagon.......I know I will just copy  Casascius idea and change the material......"

Good luck with the idea though Smiley

Andy B

ironcross360 (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:22:28 PM

No pre-orders yet, Dont want to take ANYONES Bitcoins yet just in case I turn around... But I can hire some people out here who are professional carvers too..

WishIStartedSooner

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:27:53 PM

I'd pay 3 LTC for a 1 LTC piece.
ironcross360 (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:30:00 PM

Hasent been made yet, And I can make custom coins

I'd pay 3 LTC for a 1 LTC piece.

luke.watson

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:30:56 PM

If you are serious about this I would take pre-orders to gauge interest. Personally I do not think the idea would be worthwhile because the niche has already been taken. It just seems too be a "how can I get onto the physical coin bandwagon.......I know I will just copy  Casascius idea and change the material......"

Andy B

The niche is by no means crowded but everyone with the physical coin idea lacks the ingenuity that Casacius showed with his v1 and has continued to express up to his v3 coins

If these were physical varnished well finished wooden coins I think they could be really great, but the impression i get is they'll be a piece of plywood cut into a circle with a logo poorly lasered onto the base with a half peeling sticked thrown on the back..

Ironcross if you can make a prototype and prove me wrong I will be more than happy to order a few but you'll have to impress me first, telling me it will cost extra to varnish it isn't the way to go about it    
ironcross360 (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:34:00 PM

Will make a prototype and send to you free. just pay shipping

Andy B

The niche is by no means crowded but everyone with the physical coin idea lacks the ingenuity that Casacius showed with his v1 and has continued to express up to his v3 coins

If these were physical varnished well finished wooden coins I think they could be really great, but the impression i get is they'll be a piece of plywood cut into a circle with a logo poorly lasered onto the base with a half peeling sticked thrown on the back..

Ironcross if you can make a prototype and prove me wrong I will be more than happy to order a few but you'll have to impress me first, telling me it will cost extra to varnish it isn't the way to go about it    

luke.watson

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:35:27 PM

Ok that sounds fair enough  Wink let me know when you have it ready
ironcross360 (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:35:49 PM

OK, Will lock thread till ready.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: