Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:47:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripple trying to take over the Bitcoin Discussion thread  (Read 3845 times)
ktttn

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 10:36:33 AM

Ripple had a seat on the 'alternate crypto-currency roundtable at the 2013 conference.  I didn't see anyone holding a gun to their heads.

"Ripple" is a system for managing and tracking account balance. It contains "XRP", which is a built in crypto-currency. It's not quite accurate to say that "Ripple is an alt coin" because it is more than that. However, it might be correct to say that "XRP is an alt coin."

But calling Ripple an alt-coin is to ignore all of its other functionality, which in my opinion is a mistake.

XRP threads go in Alt Currencies. Ripple threads go in Service Discussion. Easy. Now you know where to move your two threads. Thanks.
+1
Ripple... first heard of it years ago...seemed sketch then. And then it was flooded on a certain a-no-no-mouse imgeboard. Im pretty sure the trust thing is utterly compromised. NosirIdontlikeit.
MODS MODS MODS MODS...

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 10:36:55 AM

I have just been at bitcoin conference in san Jose ca, this was a great thing for bitcoin. One thing I noticed while at the conference is there where heaps of ripple employees/promoters their pretending to be bitcoin users and supporters. They where very sneaky and have also disguised themselves on this forum as bitcoin users by building up lots of posts. Have have seen ripple for what it is now. ripple is a group of people trying to fool people into using their system and their own crypto currency to get rich and hold a monopoly on the market.
ripple is not decentralized.
ripple is polluting bitcoin. they do not like bitcoin and this can be seen easily when speaking to them face to face. don't be fooled by clever marketing.

I already said this. Ripple creators are sneaky, scammy bastards.

I don't care about the future when/if they open the sources. I care about right now. And as of today Ripple is a centralized, closed source, despicable SCAM.

Ripple should only ever be discussed in alternate crypto section.

Completely agreed.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 10:50:18 AM

I have just been at bitcoin conference in san Jose ca, this was a great thing for bitcoin. One thing I noticed while at the conference is there where heaps of ripple employees/promoters their pretending to be bitcoin users and supporters. They where very sneaky and have also disguised themselves on this forum as bitcoin users by building up lots of posts. Have have seen ripple for what it is now. ripple is a group of people trying to fool people into using their system and their own crypto currency to get rich and hold a monopoly on the market.
ripple is not decentralized.
ripple is polluting bitcoin. they do not like bitcoin and this can be seen easily when speaking to them face to face. don't be fooled by clever marketing.

I already said this. Ripple creators are sneaky, scammy bastards.

I don't care about the future when/if they open the sources. I care about right now. And as of today Ripple is a centralized, closed source, despicable SCAM.

Ripple should only ever be discussed in alternate crypto section.

Completely agreed.

+1

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 10:59:54 AM

Ripple had a seat on the 'alternate crypto-currency roundtable at the 2013 conference.  I didn't see anyone holding a gun to their heads.

"Ripple" is a system for managing and tracking account balance. It contains "XRP", which is a built in crypto-currency. It's not quite accurate to say that "Ripple is an alt coin" because it is more than that. However, it might be correct to say that "XRP is an alt coin."

But calling Ripple an alt-coin is to ignore all of its other functionality, which in my opinion is a mistake.

XRP threads go in Alt Currencies. Ripple threads go in Service Discussion. Easy. Now you know where to move your two threads. Thanks.

+1 - This sounds fair and is descriptive. As more alt currencies and other means of payment/funding/etc are discovered the board will just clutter.

I also get the feeling that people in Ripple community are trying to infiltrate the BTC community (excluding the mod ;-)

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:57:02 AM

+1
Perhaps non-XRP Ripple threads could even have their own section in Service Discussion so that people who don't want to see them could use the ignore board feature.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:58:38 AM

Or.. perhaps the forum could have an "anything realted to alt coin goes to alt crypto" policy.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 12:02:34 PM

This is a good idea, along with the one discussing distributed exchanges to project development. Bitcoin Discussion should stay Bitcoin discussion, service discussion is probably relevant enough for ripple. Never liked moving them to alt currencies much cause it isn't really an alt currency, besides XRP itself.  

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
jipper3691

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:14:05 PM

So it is like Ripple is the Romney campaign with paid supporters while Bitcoin is the Ron Paul campaign with unpaid grassroots supporters.

LOL....

No, its more like Bitcoin is Ron Paul: completely rigid in his ideology and too set in his ways to consider other possibilities.

And Ripple is Rand Paul: younger, more open minded, more energy, able to get more things done because he tries to work within the system instead of trying to challenge it directly.

so very true Rand Paul also a disgusting bought and paid for sell out..
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:22:44 PM

I like Ripple

although I dont understand how many Ripples I need to make an IOU of any decent amount

This is probably off-topic to the discussion at hand, but the answer is easy enough.

You really don't need many ripples to do that, 200 will cover the account reserve requirement, then it costs one transaction fee (0.000001 XRP, I think) to send the IOU. As long as the person you are sending to has the reserve ripples in their account and has trusted you, if they trust you for 100 billion BTC, then you can send that 100 billion BTC IOU using the 0.000001 XRP.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:32:02 PM

I try not to deal in debt in the real world, why would I deal in debt on the internet??  Stick to Bitcoin, its a better idea.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Peter Lambert

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:03:17 PM

I try not to deal in debt in the real world, why would I deal in debt on the internet??  Stick to Bitcoin, its a better idea.

Unless you only ever use cash and bitcoins, you do deal in debt.

Do you deposit money in a bank account? That is accepting Bank IOUs for your cash. Do you ever give somebody a check? That is giving that person an IOU. Later they give it to their bank and that bank gives it to your bank, and then your IOU is used to cancel some of the bank IOUs. Ripple just makes these relationships more explicit and open, not everything has to go through the central bank anymore.

uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 04:47:50 PM

Do you deposit money in a bank account? That is accepting Bank IOUs for your cash. Do you ever give somebody a check? That is giving that person an IOU. Later they give it to their bank and that bank gives it to your bank, and then your IOU is used to cancel some of the bank IOUs. Ripple just makes these relationships more explicit and open, not everything has to go through the central bank anymore.

Instead everything can go through the new central Ripple bank.
mmeijeri

Activity: 714

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 04:51:34 PM

The point is not that trading IOUs in Ripple is a better way to do payments than using Bitcoin, it isn't. The point is that Ripple is a better way to buy or sell Bitcoin against fiat currency than Mt Gox. That is the enormous synergy it has with Bitcoin. Right now, centralised exchanges are Bitcoin's main weakness.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
Peter Lambert

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 04:53:54 PM

Ripple is designed to be a distributed system, so there is no central Ripple bank.

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:09:35 PM

Ripple is designed to be a distributed system, so there is no central Ripple bank.
As of today it is closed source and centralized.
ihsotas

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 01:20:23 AM

Even cash is debt; that's why they are Federal Reserve Notes, representing an IOU from the government to you.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 02:04:19 AM

Even cash is debt; that's why they are Federal Reserve Notes, representing an IOU from the government to you.

And Bitcoin, big surprise is pegged to them. It's a closed system folks.

oh wait... apparently not entirely
But since it is not Bitcoin or can't be hoarded for financial gain it isn't worth it, right?
nameface

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 08:43:11 AM

OP, You can't just talk some smack and expect to convince anyone that any Bitcoin fan that likes Ripple is some sort of shill.

Also, WTF are you talking about re: the conference? The Ripple guys just stayed at their booth and some interested people gathered around them. They represented maybe ~3% of the space in the main room at best and they were totally chill. You're an idiot.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 08:54:01 AM

There's a tendency for every Ripple related thread to turn into discussions about Ripple. It's certainly not very productive.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 02:59:15 PM

There's a tendency for every Ripple related thread to turn into discussions about Ripple. It's certainly not very productive.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: