Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:21:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do i really need a good internet connection and a good pc to use an antminer s7?  (Read 524 times)
AdrizzPlays (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 07:22:25 PM

I got told that someone heard a long time ago that a miner needed rhe best connection and the best pc to run his miners? Is that true?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
VRobb

Activity: 1610
Merit: 538

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 08:05:36 PM

Good, constant internet connection? Yes.  Good pc?  Not really, you communicate to the miner via a web browser interface so I set mine up using a tablet.

I don't believe in superstition because it's bad luck: 13thF1oor6CAwyzyxXPNnRvu3nhhYeqZdc
These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP), 2x S9 obsolete, 2xS15-28, S17-56, S17-70
Pushing a whopping 1/5 PH!  Oh The SPEED!!!
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 08:30:00 PM

You need a RELIABLE internet connection, it doesn't need to be high-speed.

You only need a computer that can use a browser to set up the S7, it runs ITSELF with a built-in small computer.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 01:26:29 AM

You can run miners on dial-up or satellite connections, the worst that could happen is going to be stale shares and possibly more invalid and rejected, consistent internet is the big factor. You only need a web accessible device to connect to the miner to configure it and you'll be good to go for the most part. Don't forget to check up on your miner every now and then to make sure nothing is going wrong.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 11:43:54 PM

You can run miners on dial-up or satellite connections, the worst that could happen is going to be stale shares and possibly more invalid and rejected, consistent internet is the big factor. You only need a web accessible device to connect to the miner to configure it and you'll be good to go for the most part. Don't forget to check up on your miner every now and then to make sure nothing is going wrong.

I've never run my mining farm on dialup - that MIGHT be pushing bandwidth limits a LITTLE for a largish farm but should be fine for just a few mining rigs.

I did run it for a few years on a very poor quality Virgin Mobile 3G cell connection, that hit 400kbps on a GOOD wee hours of the night and was usually more like 150-200, no issues.
 I did run it for 2 years on an Exede sat connection (which was a MAJOR UPGRADE from the 3G except SOMETIMES on lag), the 650-700ms ALL THE TIME lag cost less than 1% in stale shares on Litecoin or Ethereum mining and wasn't noticeable on Bitcoin mining.
 Exede was metered, but I normally used less than 100 megs a day and that was INCLUDING online gaming and web browsing, NOT just mining (Game PATCHES were sometimes an issue).

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
kkeylb

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 12:13:44 AM

I wonder if a rasberry pi is good enough as a computer. You guys already said the computer specs don't really matter, just the internet connection. I'll have to research on that later.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 01:02:28 AM

I've never run my mining farm on dialup - that MIGHT be pushing bandwidth limits a LITTLE for a largish farm but should be fine for just a few mining rigs.

I did run it for a few years on a very poor quality Virgin Mobile 3G cell connection, that hit 400kbps on a GOOD wee hours of the night and was usually more like 150-200, no issues.
 I did run it for 2 years on an Exede sat connection (which was a MAJOR UPGRADE from the 3G except SOMETIMES on lag), the 650-700ms ALL THE TIME lag cost less than 1% in stale shares on Litecoin or Ethereum mining and wasn't noticeable on Bitcoin mining.
 Exede was metered, but I normally used less than 100 megs a day and that was INCLUDING online gaming and web browsing, NOT just mining (Game PATCHES were sometimes an issue).

I never assumed we were talking about farms here, but I actually tried using a couple miners on Dial-Up and it worked just fine. The losses you'll incur running such connections are minor in most cases like you mentioned either way, and dial up CAN be had for free or very cheap in many areas in the US and possibly Canada.

I wonder if a rasberry pi is good enough as a computer. You guys already said the computer specs don't really matter, just the internet connection. I'll have to research on that later.
As long as you can use a browser or even SSH to whatever IP the miner is running on, or you can open CGminer/BFGminer to run a USB-connected miner, it will work. For Bitmain devices, remember that the default login is root:root.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 07:00:30 PM

You're missing the point.

The S7 already HAS a computer built into it (something similar to a Pi, if not an actual Pi) - you don't need a seprate computer to run it with AT ALL.

The only thing you need a computer for is to run a browser to go into the "web site" control on the S7 to set it up.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: