Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:49:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: trouble retrieving private key  (Read 254 times)
Anna1406 (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 06:11:14 PM

been trying to get my private keys from my bitcoin core wallet but 'dumpprivkey' always returns 'error-5'.
the only thing i can think of is that i'm using the wrong public key but i'm not sure where i'm going wrong. i tried 'getaddressbyaccount', 'getaccountaddress' and 'validateaddress' in combination with the receiving address i used for the transaction but none of them will give me a public key that works in 'dumpprivkey' 
the only other thing i could see affecting things is that i'm offline when i try to get my private keys but i don't see how this would make a difference
at a total loss here so any help is appreciated
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 06:43:12 PM

the only other thing i could see affecting things is that i'm offline when i try to get my private keys but i don't see how this would make a difference

You don't need to be online.

been trying to get my private keys from my bitcoin core wallet but 'dumpprivkey' always returns 'error-5'.
the only thing i can think of is that i'm using the wrong public key but i'm not sure where i'm going wrong. i tried 'getaddressbyaccount', 'getaccountaddress' and 'validateaddress' in combination with the receiving address i used for the transaction but none of them will give me a public key that works in 'dumpprivkey'

You shouldn't be using a public key.  You should be using the bitcoin address that was generated by the wallet.

Code:
dumpprivkey 1YourBitcoinAddressGoesHere
Where: 1YourBitcoinAddressGoesHere is the bitcoin address generated for that wallet file for which you want the private key.
Anna1406 (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 07:45:32 PM

thank you. seems like i was working with bad instructions. worked fine this time  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: