Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:11:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 crashes with RX Vega 56  (Read 575 times)
CryptoSouth (OP)

Activity: 63
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 09:14:02 PM

So I ordered two RX Vega 56 cards and a 1200 watt Rosewill PSU from newegg..

The cards and the PSU showed up yesterday, I slapped the PSU in a system that has a Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L R-1.4 mainboard in it. I upgraded it to Windows 10 x64 and placed a single RX Vega in the internal slot.

The system is bare bone CPU, RAM, HD, RX VEGA!

When I attempt to load the AMD software I get a blue screen. This happens with either of the two cards I have.

I have noticed that as soon as the first GPU TACH led goes high I get the BSOD.

I loaded Ubuntu Mate 16.04 along side of windows and can get the card to function fine as a GPU in linux.

I am not a big windows guy, I am a network engineer by trade and run linux on all my machines except for my two macs.  It is my understanding that these cards work better in windows though, so that is why I attempted to use windows 10.

Has any one had this issue with windows? If so how did you resolve it?

When my risers show up I will test the cards on a second system just to rule out possible hardware issues. I am just looking for some fore site into the problem..

Thanks

"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ROFLED

Activity: 65

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 09:29:45 PM

Do you have correct Win10 version? You can try Anniversary update, then latest Fall Creators update, but seems really driver issue. You can try delete existing amd drivers via Display Driver Uninstaller. It disables windows automatic driver installing from internal storages. If not, you can try install drivers in safe boot mode
CryptoSouth (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 12:36:08 AM

I am not near my lab right now, the wife drug me out to the mall.

I did have the correct binary package for my specific OS.

Win 10 does not give you the same error address former versions of Windows did. It gave me a QR code, I will run that rabbit when I get home.

mutual.consent

Activity: 35

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 02:23:07 AM
Last edit: October 29, 2017, 03:13:38 AM by mutual.consent

So I ordered two RX Vega 56 cards and a 1200 watt Rosewill PSU from newegg..

The cards and the PSU showed up yesterday, I slapped the PSU in a system that has a Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L R-1.4 mainboard in it. I upgraded it to Windows 10 x64 and placed a single RX Vega in the internal slot.

The system is bare bone CPU, RAM, HD, RX VEGA!

When I attempt to load the AMD software I get a blue screen. This happens with either of the two cards I have.

I have noticed that as soon as the first GPU TACH led goes high I get the BSOD.

I loaded Ubuntu Mate 16.04 along side of windows and can get the card to function fine as a GPU in linux.

I am not a big windows guy, I am a network engineer by trade and run linux on all my machines except for my two macs.  It is my understanding that these cards work better in windows though, so that is why I attempted to use windows 10.

Has any one had this issue with windows? If so how did you resolve it?

When my risers show up I will test the cards on a second system just to rule out possible hardware issues. I am just looking for some fore site into the problem..

Thanks

What motherboard do you have? Vega is not compatible with non-UEFI, non PCI-E 3.0 motherboards in windows 10. You will get an atikmdag.sys BSOD if you install the drivers. Windows 7 doesn't have that issue on these older motherboards but the beta blockchain drivers for windows 7 don't work on these motherboards anyway.
CryptoSouth (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 03:41:15 AM

What motherboard do you have? Vega is not compatible with non-UEFI, non PCI-E 3.0 motherboards in windows 10. You will get an atikmdag.sys BSOD if you install the drivers. Windows 7 doesn't have that issue on these older motherboards but the beta blockchain drivers for windows 7 don't work on these motherboards anyway.

Well then the MainBoard is to old! As i said in the first post it is a Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L R-1.4.

You are correct in that I am getting a ATIKMDAG.SYS BSOD!

https://s1.postimg.org/9rvbqbiy1r/22906267_10212393886414886_1325447037_o.jpg

Back to the drawing board in the AM..  I guess I will go dig around at the shop for a newer mainboard.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: