Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:54:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Encouraging Wikipedia (and other organizations) to accept Bitcoins  (Read 534 times)
TippingPoint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:09:27 PM
Last edit: May 20, 2013, 10:19:48 PM by TippingPoint

I have spent some time thinking about how to hasten the day when almost all organizations will accept Bitcoins.  You know, when there is a Bitcoin donation button or link on the web pages of Wikipedia, and the top non-profit and charitable organizations.  This would greatly increase awareness and perceived legitimacy among some of the population, and demonstrate some of the advantages of Bitcoins.

My idea (although it might turn out to not be original) is to collect donations for one or more targeted organizations in escrow, and inform them of the amount being held for them should they ever make Bitcoins an accepted method of donation on their website.  It could then be donated to them, possibly via multiple payments.  It might even be possible to design an expiring escrow account, so that if they do not accept bitcoin donations within 1 year of the start of donations, the money would be rolled over into the escrow of our second choice for donations, etc.

All Bitcoin exchanges, merchants and users should recognize what a change this would create in public perception and awareness.

And I ask that a mod move this thread out into the mainstream forum for discussion and refinement...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BTCtrader71

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:44:37 PM

I think this is a good idea and I would consider at least a token donation to certain organizations.

I had a related idea about how to win congressional support for bitcoins: place something in the range of 1-10 bitcoins in escrow for each and every member of US congress. At least a few of them might start paying attention to the price and wondering -- and then HOPING -- that its exponential climb will continue for the next 5 years so that their 10 btc will be a meaningful sum.

BTC: 14oTcy1DNEXbcYjzPBpRWV11ZafWxNP8EU
TippingPoint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:47:33 PM

Thank you for replying to my first post.

Yes.  Political donations in Bitcoins.

We need more friends in High places.
vlees

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:50:37 PM

With this idea you would gain a hype for a short time (as so many things did with BTC) and then the average person forgets about it.

What BTC needs is an easy way to securely store your money. Of course there are online sites offering this, which puts back the centralized bank into the network, which is something I would not see as desirable.
This leaves the option to speed up synchronizing local clients with the network (which takes quite some time nowadays). Because right now I won't be able to convince my mom that BTC is good when she first has to download a program and let it run 3-4 hours until it is usable.

BEEP BEP
TippingPoint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:57:57 PM

Thank you for replying.

I use the original Bitcoin-QT client, but if your internet connection is limited, Electrum is very fast and simple.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Electrum
letcore

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:28:23 PM

I just emailed them Smiley

https://donate.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:FundraiserLandingPage&country=IE&uselang=en&utm_medium=sidebar&utm_source=donate&utm_campaign=C13_en.wikipedia.org
letcore

Activity: 29

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:29:54 PM

Bypassing the Paypal/mastercard/visa dictatorships gives me great joy.

I guess it's only a matter of time until Wikipedia take bitcoin. Kind of surprised they haven't already done it.

Unless... some of their funding comes from Paypal/mastercard/visa...  one wonders...
BTCtrader71

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:56:51 PM

There are actually a lot of organizations that do already take donations in bitcoin:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Donation-accepting_organizations_and_projects

BTC: 14oTcy1DNEXbcYjzPBpRWV11ZafWxNP8EU
TippingPoint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:30:46 AM

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions.

It was Forbes magazine that documented the strange posture of Wikipedia against Bitcoin.
Wikipedia Accepts 'Enemies Of The Internet' Currencies
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/06/29/wikipedia-accepts-enemies-of-the-internet-currencies/

When Wikipedia finally posts a Bitcoin Donation button on their main page, it will be a Tipping Point.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tipping_Point

The success of any kind of social epidemic is heavily dependent on the involvement of people with a particular and rare set of social gifts.
Illimensky

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:12:04 AM

This leaves the option to speed up synchronizing local clients with the network (which takes quite some time nowadays). Because right now I won't be able to convince my mom that BTC is good when she first has to download a program and let it run 3-4 hours until it is usable.

You can get pre-downloaded blockchains from multiple sources, like SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: