Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:56:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-05-20 CNBC : After Government Raid, Jittery Future for Bitcoin  (Read 1189 times)
bobdude17 (OP)

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:26:09 AM

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100750803
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:59:23 AM

Odd piece - all over the map.

I don't think I've seen this version of the DHS "seizure" before though: "The action comes after the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network issued guidance around the currency in March, which required intermediaries (like Dwolla) that handle bitcoins to register as money services businesses." The usual spin is that they were after Gox, not Dwolla and that Gox, not Dwolla should have registered blah blah.

Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:15:30 AM

MtGox account seizure was not an attack on bitcoin. It was an attack on a business that was clearly acting as a money transmitter that failed to obtain licensing. Holding US customers funds for future delivery = money transmitter that better be licensed on federal and state levels. These articles of doom are funny. Most of them fail to grasp the entirety of what's happening.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:56:47 AM

How cute. I know the power of DHS. I am a member of DHS Highway Watch. One time I reported a bed spring laying on the highway in a call to 911. DHS broke in on the call because it was me calling it in. They have all the power of the FBI and CIA, but none of the accountability. None. Even Gestapo had to answer to their dictator, yet DHS answers no one.

Look, I'm not against regulation, but this play just shows how clueless DHS is. On a side note, I wonder how airline miles are traded and what licensing mtgox would need to issue airline miles with big long serial numbers.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 03:00:32 AM

What's the media keeps trying to tell you is the stupid will win, and the revolutionary and advanced will lose.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 09:38:11 AM

Why Mutum Sigillum is always conflated with Mt. Gox in the news reports?  Wires from Mt Gox accounts in the Chase Morgan US based bank go through without any problem.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: