Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:49:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Religious beliefs on bitcoin  (Read 22364 times)
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 06:00:06 PM

You know, as long as we keep driving in our 1980's steel muscle cars, god has no power over us.

"And the Lord was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron." (Judges 1:19)

Not that it matters in this thread, but the 80s were the lowest ebb of musclecardom...   Cry

You got that right! The peak was with the 1968 Pontiac Firebird Coupe. yeah baby yeah. lol

Here's the horrible part about being a gearhead:  Normal people look at the pic, and it's mechanical pron.  All i can think of: Align that hood FFS!  It's just a bump stop!

Muscle cars are a religion requiring hours and hours of devotion and personal sacrifice. lol

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 06:08:35 PM
Last edit: May 27, 2013, 06:28:12 PM by glendall

Religious arguments are just about pointless.

Most religious beliefs are based on faith. Faith , as in, I believe it because I believe it without any need for proof.

You can't argue this position. You can't really argue any point for any positive outcome without being able to reference logic or rationality.

So yes. Just going to say that of course the 3000 some odd old book written about oral traditions of nomadic sheep herders relating the word of a a supreme disinterested being in the sky about bitcoin, 5000 years laters, certainly does predict the end of the world in the way of four big zombies riding sky horses that will come down and destroy the world.

Of course. Where are the disbelievers? They are so stupid to not believe in this stuff.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 06:12:14 PM

Religious arguments are just about pointless.

Most religious beliefs are based on faith. Faith , as in, I believe it because I believe it without any need for proof.

You can't argue this position. You can't really argue any point for any positive outcome without being able to reference logic or rationality.

So yes. Just going to say that of course the 3000 some odd old book written about oral traditions of nomadic sheep herders relating the word of a a supreme disinterested being in the sky about bitcoin, 5000 years laters, certainly does predict in the end of the world via four big dudes riding sky horses that will come down and destroy the world.

Of course. Where are the disbelievers? They are so stupid to not believe in this stuff.

No dude, I already proved Jesus is true in this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=211865.msg2286538#msg2286538

neurobox

Activity: 220
Merit: 100

Getting too old for all this.

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 06:39:46 PM

Mind which school of textual criticism you buy your ideology from. Jesus  existence is widely considered the scholarly position, identifying certain non-existence claimants as agenda driven. The historicity and veracity of the biblical texts is the benchmark by which all others are measured, being orders of magnitude more widely published and accurately preserved.

Think about it.. at the time of Jesus birth, death, burial and resurrection, the most unique events of his life and their meanings had been prophesied, written, authenticated (by being bundled with prophecies which had previously been fulfilled), canonized, massively distributed, and memorized by Israelite students for generations. Many did recognize him for who he was. Many did not. Nicodemus nearly missed the boat, he had much to lose if he chose to believe, but came through in the end.

Faith in the Jesus as the long-prophesied Messiah is often a test of character in and of itself. In some countries it's a death sentence. At the very least, it requires the humility to recognize that you're not God, you're not perfect, you're not even "good" compared to him, but he gave everything to bridge the gap, if only you would open the door.

But please, don't argue "why not me," if you don't even want to give Him a chance to change your mind. He'll have to change your heart first.
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 06:43:13 PM

The one thing I could never figure out: if god is love why is there hell? If god is forgiving, why is hell eternal?

Not all christian religions subscribe to the teaching of hell or in Sheol as a place of eternal torment, but rather a place of rest and sleep of having no awareness what so ever.
neurobox

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:16:53 PM

...still others take Jesus at his word, as with the parable of Lazarus.

By the way, if you're familiar with Jesus story but you've never read Isaiah 53, give it a read. It speaks of none but Christ, yet by the end you might forget that it was widely published and cherished, centuries before Jesus was even born.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Isa&c=53&v=1&t=NIV#top

This passage lends to why he could claim he is The way, The truth and The life, and no man comes to the Father but by Him.

If 400 other prophecies are too many too ponder, consider whether anyone else could have satisfied these 48 like he did:

http://therefinersfire.org/accurate_messiah_prophecies.htm
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 07:22:33 PM

I'm actually a little bit confused as to why people find it so hard to believe in God.

Is it really easier to believe that we all "just happened" through some fluke of science? I mean really... We all came from single cell organism that after untold millions of years eventually mutated to the point where we can create wonderful things like the '68 Firebird Coupe, or the Bitcoin system? Riiiight... I call Bull Shit on that!

Do the atheists really believe this all "just happened"? Come on guys! LOL! That take's WAY more "faith" in my book than just buying into the supreme being idea.

Sorry, but I find the supreme being idea WAY more credible.

And this is why religion is so destructive and stupifying. Religion can't figure out an answer to something, so it just comes up with a convenient fairy tale to explain the problem away, without even caring if the story is supported by anything substantial or factual. Science tries to actually explain things based on observable facts and logic. In the case of where we came from, science says, "I don't know, but all the evidence seems to point to this explanation, however, I might still be wrong, and we still need to ask more questions." Religion says I don't know, but here is a nice story, now stop asking questions."

As to your question of "why people find it so hard to believe in God," try to honestly believe in Santa Claus, or fairies, or leprichauns, or Superman, or Harry Potter. Believe that they exist and are true with all your heart. If you can't convince yourself that they exist, no matter how hard you try, because in the back of your mind you keep thinking that such an idea is absurd, then you'll know why it's so hard. Some people just include the idea of god among the rest of the absurd things to believe in.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 07:35:07 PM

At the very least, it requires the humility to recognize that you're not God, you're not perfect, you're not even "good" compared to him, but he gave everything to bridge the gap, if only you would open the door.

Problem is that, although I do recognize that I am no god, I also recognize that I am more moral than the god of the bible. For example, I think slavery is wrong, I think rape justifies a big bigger punishment than forced marriage and some silver, I think torture of any kind is wrong, and I'm able to forgive things. I especially would not torture someone for all eternity for making fun of me or my name.
neurobox

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 08:08:52 PM

I don't usually indulge in philosophy, but try this on for size if you need a place to fit God in your head.

Why is the universe the way it is? Ask this of yourself iteratively. Think bigger than the universe, or any other meta-universes you can concoct, snow globes, nostrils, multiverses, fields or otherwise, and you eventually get... nothing.

How do you go from no energy in no field of nothing, containing no objects, motion, or information, to the particular arrangement of atoms that constitutes you, right here, right now?

What could possibly ever have caused anything to happen in all of eternity, ever?

You have to eliminate everything you see around you, every property of the known universe, energy, quantum physics, even information.

All that is left, is the fundamental truths.
1 + 1 = 2
Pi = 3.141592653587...
The prime numbers are what they are.
And one glaring fact, that if anything should ever exist in eternity, it will have to be decided what that shall be.

Logically, the first and only thing that could ever be in all eternity, would HAVE to be a point of authority over every single parameter to follow.

This particular universe is derived from the LOGOS, the Word, the massive download of information and energy direct from the absolutely sovereign universal mind of the Godhead, as he sovereignly unfolded from reality itself. "I AM THAT I AM."  

Prophecy is just one example of how he has chosen to reveal himself on Earth. You can almost always invent some whacked out theory to explain it away if you are that uncomfortable with the notion of there being a supreme authority to the universe. Others accept it, but reject him based on their ideas of how such a God ought to behave or reveal himself. Yet others invent a "source" or "force" that is passionately disinterested, but explains away some of the little things that don't make sense without the supernatural.

If you try taking God at his Word and focus on Jesus, letting him impact you, you might find that the technical minutiae are on the other side of the equation, and not such a hurdle.

He made us free to choose him, and even though we have derivatively, corporately and personally disobeyed his most fundamental law (Love God first, and love your neighbor as yourself), he still paved the way for those who would humble themselves to be saved from the utter destruction that a sovereign authority MUST dish out on the disobedient. Even in Daniel's day a King could not reverse a decree, or it would invalidate his authority. So it is with God, and so just punishment must be.

We all fall short. Only Jesus could perfectly obey and please God. Everyone else would be toast if they were not "in Him." If you don't think you deserve his wrath, how on earth can you be saved from it?

The decree is eternal: The wages of sin is death. Jesus innocent blood, shed for your atonement, is the loophole, the Neo, the hack that lets minds which were free to reject him, also be free to worship him. If you're dissatisfied with the headcount, that's your conviction to do something about it, starting with yourself.

TL;dr: God is. Take it up with him.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 08:45:32 PM

Join the Church of Satoshi and later day coins.  Grin

more or less retired.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 10:33:18 PM

I don't usually indulge in philosophy, but try this on for size if you need a place to fit God in your head.

Why is the universe the way it is? Ask this of yourself iteratively. Think bigger than the universe, or any other meta-universes you can concoct, snow globes, nostrils, multiverses, fields or otherwise, and you eventually get... nothing.

How do you go from no energy in no field of nothing, containing no objects, motion, or information, to the particular arrangement of atoms that constitutes you, right here, right now?

What could possibly ever have caused anything to happen in all of eternity, ever?

You have to eliminate everything you see around you, every property of the known universe, energy, quantum physics, even information.

1 + 1 = 2
Pi = 3.141592653587...
And one glaring fact, that if anything should ever exist in eternity, it will have to be decided what that shall be.

Logically, the first and only thing that could ever be in all eternity, would HAVE to be a point of authority over every single parameter to follow.

This particular universe is derived from the LOGOS, the Word, the massive download of information and energy direct from the absolutely sovereign universal mind of the Godhead, as he sovereignly unfolded from reality itself. "I AM THAT I AM."  

Prophecy is just one example of how he has chosen to reveal himself on Earth. You can almost always invent some whacked out theory to explain it away if you are that uncomfortable with the notion of there being a supreme authority to the universe. Others accept it, but reject him based on their ideas of how such a God ought to behave or reveal himself. Yet others invent a "source" or "force" that is passionately disinterested, but explains away some of the little things that don't make sense without the supernatural.

If you try taking God at his Word and focus on Jesus, letting him impact you, you might find that the technical minutiae are on the other side of the equation, and not such a hurdle.

He made us free to choose him, and even though we have derivatively, corporately and personally disobeyed his most fundamental law (Love God first, and love your neighbor as yourself), he still paved the way for those who would humble themselves to be saved from the utter destruction that a sovereign authority MUST dish out on the disobedient. Even in Daniel's day a King could not reverse a decree, or it would invalidate his authority. So it is with God, and so just punishment must be.

We all fall short. Only Jesus could perfectly obey and please God. Everyone else would be toast if they were not "in Him." If you don't think you deserve his wrath, how on earth can you be saved from it?

The decree is eternal: The wages of sin is death. Jesus innocent blood, shed for your atonement, is the loophole, the Neo, the hack that lets minds which were free to reject him, also be free to worship him. If you're dissatisfied with the headcount, that's your conviction to do something about it, starting with yourself.

Wow!  What a great post. It gave me chills. You need to indulge in philosophy more often!  Amazing really!!!

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
ktttn

Activity: 126

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 10:57:19 PM

I remember reading some where that an older document was found that showed 666 to be a typo. the number was 610 or some such.
Early anti govt cryptography at its finest. 666 and 616 are both Nero.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZqFtYtqaI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Also, Constantine codified modern Christianity at the council of nicea. Before that, it was several Judaic sun cults.
Also also, run any hebrew text through roman, old english, german and shakesperian english in google translate, and you have a better, but still broken translation technique than was used to produce the King James and New Intetnational versions.
Alsoalsoalso, hail satan.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
Tekkna

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 11:11:56 PM

Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats other people with hatred, contempt, and intolerance
~ Wikipedia

Athiestic Bigotry:
And this is why religion is so destructive and stupifying. Religion can't figure out an answer to something, so it just comes up with a convenient fairy tale to explain the problem away

There is no "spiritual awareness," only you fooling yourself into thinking you understand some secret about the universe that escapes the rest of those not in whatever club of "spiritual awareness" you subscribe.

The Jesus mythologized in Christianity never existed, was and is king of nothing. The bible is a collection of stolen, modified, pre-fabricated myth and forgeries about a non-existent deity. You don't have to be afraid. You do not need religion.

I would be thrilled if I could help one person shake free the thorny shackles of religion.

Religion is a manmade club like any other, with rules by which to segregate and perks to make the club feel special from other clubs.

Posts that were taking verses out of context, and mis-characterizing God as some sort of evil Malevolent for were mainly what I was talking about, the level of hate that athiests generally show is surprising. Also the level of mis-information that passes as good arguments in the athiest camp is equally shocking.

BTC: 15Yb897j2Yrbk1GU5Uwwhg5PFBMXeUAmhS  | I sell $5 Amazon Gift Codes | I also build websites

ktttn

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 11:24:30 PM

1 + 1 = 2
Pi = 3.141592653587...

One of the most troublesome misunderstandings about the big bang is the anecdote that claims it started with nothing. This isnt the case. Rather than nothing, a dense, pre-solid-matter everything exploded and is still exploding.
I am God because my perspective, my center of the universe, my will and experience are total and all inclusive from inside my own head. The idea that someone can forgive me for wronging someone else is objectionable.
Come at me bro. jk jk
nosrsly tho http://www.colorado.edu/philosophy/vstenger/how.html

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 11:29:58 PM

Join the Church of Satoshi and later day coins.  Grin

Exactly

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=122239.msg1315017

KeyserSoze

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 11:31:51 PM

I'm actually a little bit confused as to why people find it so hard to believe in God.

Because for those who choose reality over magic there is no good evidence for its existence.

Is it really easier to believe that we all "just happened" through some fluke of science? I mean really... We all came from single cell organism that after untold millions of years eventually mutated to the point where we can create wonderful things like the '68 Firebird Coupe, or the Bitcoin system? Riiiight... I call Bull Shit on that!

"I don't understand" != "Gawd musta dun did it!"

I used to day trade Bitcoin successfully. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
KeyserSoze

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 11:39:17 PM

I remember reading some where that an older document was found that showed 666 to be a typo. the number was 610 or some such.

http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/POxy/beast616.htm
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/666-the-number-of-the-beast-and-gulp-todays-date-481233.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070614174458AAfiKaH

I used to day trade Bitcoin successfully. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 11:44:42 PM

I am We are God because my our perspective, my our center of the universe, my our will and experience are total and all inclusive from inside my our own head.

FTFY  Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism
ktttn

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 11:50:01 PM

Because for those who choose reality over magic there is no good evidence for its existence.

"I don't understand" != "Gawd musta dun did it!"
Magic... (magick if yer nasty) is the manipulation of perception, nothing more.
Lets say that reality turned out literally any other way. Good, now lets imagine that all of those ither ways happened. Good. We've just imagined the multiverse, yay.
Nothing special here, no need for a watchmaker... no room, in fact!
...unless that watchmaker is us, of course.
Atheism denies autotheism, which disempowers folks. Lets look at the Egyptian, greek and roman pantheons as sociological literary metaphors, as they relate to the protostate. anarchism and polymonarchistic soverignty.
No govt/gods? You're Fucked
 You are your own govt/god? Congrats. You stand the same chance of getting bombed by the disattached state as anyone else, but at least you have ground to stand on and reason to resist.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
ktttn

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 11:57:17 PM

I am We are God because my our perspective, my our center of the universe, my our will and experience are total and all inclusive from inside my our own head.

FTFY  Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism
ALL OF MY YUP.
The microcosm (me) is the macrocosm (us.)
Id hate to put words in their mouths, though- lot of theists disagree with me lumping them into us, and take offense.
Has anyone noticed how a perfectly reasonable, intelligent person will KA-FLIP into evangelist mode and start using a lofty, pretentious schzoid sentance structure and vocabulary?
I do it too, you know...  but its still kinda spooky.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: