Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:03:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ICO SCAM] Karbon is just another ICO scam with a bot-posted thread  (Read 2456 times)
ragnar0k

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 03:27:20 AM

Can you elaborate a bit? Unfortunately I've sent some gas over (fortunately not much, but enough to make me angry). They say it was a marketing issue but I still see fishy comments on their pages...

Still, their page was advertised on coinmarketcap just recently and is on quite a few legit pages
Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EventHorizon409

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 10:14:13 PM

What are my options if I was a victim of this scam? Thank you
Aventhe

Activity: 322
Merit: 134

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 05:19:58 AM

What are my options if I was a victim of this scam? Thank you

Nothing.... At least nothing that I yet know of. You could launch a legal action against Karbon and their team, but it would cost too much, it would take too much time and in the end you might not even get back any money.

Try to use the knowledge you have learnt through this and make sure you look out for further scammers when investing into any ICO.
cryptodevil (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1240

Thread-puller extraordinaire

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 07:19:28 AM

Still, their page was advertised on coinmarketcap just recently and is on quite a few legit pages
Thanks

#howtospotascam101
Adverts cost next-to-nothing compared to the profit made by a scam, so don't treat them as any proof of legitimacy.

#howtospotascam101
Learn to tell the difference between a legit news article and a paid one.

#howtospotascam101
Treat EVERYTHING you read on CoinTelegraph.com as suspicious. They are the number 1 promoter of scams and have been for a long time now.
They don't give a shit about you, they only care that they get paid for adverts and promo-articles masquerading as 'news'.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'
ragnar0k

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 06:57:24 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2017, 07:12:10 PM by ragnar0k

#howtospotascam101
Adverts cost next-to-nothing compared to the profit made by a scam, so don't treat them as any proof of legitimacy.

#howtospotascam101
Learn to tell the difference between a legit news article and a paid one.

#howtospotascam101
Treat EVERYTHING you read on CoinTelegraph.com as suspicious. They are the number 1 promoter of scams and have been for a long time now.
They don't give a shit about you, they only care that they get paid for adverts and promo-articles masquerading as 'news'.

All valid points, but what I was asking is, outside the basic '101' noob error I made sending them money without due diligence (won't happen again), can you clarify why you are absolutely certain this is a scam?
You heard something or you are just making assumptions based on your '101' rules (in which case *maybe* there is still hope to see my money back and hope the Karbon guys are just cowboys...)
cryptodevil (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 10:30:22 AM

why you are absolutely certain this is a scam?

They were caught posting 100 pages of repeating bot-posts on their thread. That alone is sufficient to know they are fraudulently misrepresenting their ICO, let alone numerous other aspects to the con you can practice spotting yourself.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'
RJX
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

umachit.fund

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 04:23:59 PM

why you are absolutely certain this is a scam?

They were caught posting 100 pages of repeating bot-posts on their thread. That alone is sufficient to know they are fraudulently misrepresenting their ICO, let alone numerous other aspects to the con you can practice spotting yourself.

And they deleted my posts pointing to this thread in both their ANN and bounty thread too!

.UmaChit.Fund.
‎ ★
..Revolutionized Rotating..
..Savings & Borrowings.....

‎ ★
█████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
█████
█████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
█████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████████████▀▀▀█████████
██████ ▀██████▀      ▄██████
██████▄   ▀▀▀        ███████
██████▄             ▄███████
███████▄           ▄████████
██████▀▀▀        ▄██████████
███████▄▄     ▄▄████████████
█████████████▀    ██████████
████████████    ▄▄██████████
███████████▀    ▀▀██████████
██████████▌       ██████████
████████████    ████████████
████████████▄  ▄████████████
ragnar0k

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 04:58:00 PM

Quote from: cryptodevil

Yep... not to mention the 50% bonus countdown on their home page that seems to reset every time to "12 hours until bonus end". Oh well, what is done is done, I still have hope...

And they deleted my posts pointing to this thread in both their ANN and bounty thread too!

Well, that is defo bad advertising for them - their bounty thread is linked from their webpage, warnings from cryptodevil are still there tho
RJX
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

umachit.fund

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 12:38:14 PM

And there's announcement thread #3

Roll Eyes

.UmaChit.Fund.
‎ ★
..Revolutionized Rotating..
..Savings & Borrowings.....

‎ ★
█████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
█████
█████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
█████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████████████▀▀▀█████████
██████ ▀██████▀      ▄██████
██████▄   ▀▀▀        ███████
██████▄             ▄███████
███████▄           ▄████████
██████▀▀▀        ▄██████████
███████▄▄     ▄▄████████████
█████████████▀    ██████████
████████████    ▄▄██████████
███████████▀    ▀▀██████████
██████████▌       ██████████
████████████▄  ▄████████████
ragnar0k

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 03:50:56 PM

So why did they let the third announcement pass Sad
I have to say it looks a bit better since they added the lady doing the presentation - however, the poloniex and bittrex logos that are on the announcement are not present on the page...Also they seem to have removed the bots from everywhere. Still 12 hours to go until the end of 50% bonus tho XD
Aventhe

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 09:21:12 AM

Aaaaand, its a self moderated thread. How suprising!  Cheesy

Users of this forum should be able to express their views about any ICO. Even if it is a scam ICO, people should be able to say that and remind others of that in their thread.
useless

Activity: 9
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 09:40:22 AM

Please report them to the authorities: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2126042.msg21494897#msg21494897
cryptodevil (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 10:20:36 AM

And another bot-posting account repeatedly posting the same content from before and then deleting it and replacing it.
So what would some of you guys suggest I put into this? I ahve 2 BTC at the moment so I was thinking of putting somewhere around 2. into this. What have some of you put into this? Im not trying to risk that much but im not super sure right now.
when was this project announced? (like before the thread start date)
When is the distribution period for something like this?

Or have they already done it?

I know a lot of ICOs do it differently but I was just curious!
Still looking for bounty!

If anybody has some campaigns Id be super interested
Any bounty info in this thread?

I know Im comin in a bit late but I thought Op might still have some stuff available
Not sure who told me to read the whitepaper earlier but I honestly dont think anybody does anymore. Theyre honestly so long that I dont get it. Id actually pay a little for a service that would shorten them all down and condense them to their most basic points. I hope I just gave someone inspiration lol

Aventhe

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 11:37:20 AM

Someone, preferably Cryptodevil, tell me this:

- If you are going to spam bot with bought accounts (already the start of something bad....), why put things into so extreme perspectives? Like, that I am trying to ask is that why are the bots made to post literally every 1 minute on 1 account. Why aren't they programmed to post every 40 minutes or so?

- For all those other ICOs that use view-bots, again, why are they not made to have realistic numbers in perspective? I saw a few weeks ago an ICO that got around 700,000 views in under 24 hours. (I might not remember correctly, but it was certainly a large number - an unrealistic value).

I am not trying to endorse any sort of this behaviour, I am just curious why these scammers are so blatant.  
cryptodevil (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 03:01:06 PM

why are the bots made to post literally every 1 minute on 1 account. Why aren't they programmed to post every 40 minutes or so?... I saw a few weeks ago an ICO that got around 700,000 views in under 24 hours. (I might not remember correctly, but it was certainly a large number - an unrealistic value).

Because they need to keep the thread from dropping down the first page of the forum and, as they generally have very little time between announcing their [insert bullshit 'innovative' fairy-dust-blockchain-ethereum-token-platform here] project and actually launching the ICO, they need to pump the thread up to large numbers of posts very quickly.

It also helps to bury the influx of posts alerting other users to the fact the ICO is a scam. Many of these frauds are conducted across multiple social-media platforms and users who load a bitcointalk page and are not logged in will not see the negative trust rating the scammer accounts usually pick up. If the page they see doesn't include a post warning them it is a scam they may believe it is legit because it appears to be a busy thread.

Frankly, barring a low-single-digit number of genuine ICOs with potential, you should consider them all as scams or, at best, poorly-constructed cash-grabs to prop up failing businesses or to bail their team-members out of personal debt.

They don't look any different to me than what was happening during 2014/15 with copy-pasta clone-coin projects which were hyped by largely-anonymous scammers posting endless pages of 'Wall St and Whales' memes, promising their coin was just about to 'moon' at any moment, shortly before they dumped their bags on the market and ran with the bitcoin.

ragnar0k

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 03:14:00 PM

I've tried to mail the Bittrex support in the meantime asking if they are actually supporting karbon, given that their logo is on their page...
Unfortunately I got a generic reply saying that

When will coin X be added to Bittrex?
Bittrex staff will never comment on whether or not a coin will or will not be added to the exchange.

If anybody has better luck with Poloniex, maybe that helps, but this kind of behavior from Bittrex doesn't help the community overall
Mkenney

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 02:56:27 AM

So Karbon is a scam and I just lost about $12,000 and your winning about your rating and repair my reputation.  Ever hear of diligence, your rating should be zero or send me $12,000.  I assumed that ICO websites who post and market these companies and allow money to be accepted, should do a little more diligence.  It's like a 5 year old running a company.  Did you get paid for helping translate or whatever it is you do. 
Pearls Before Swine

Activity: 1190
Merit: 306

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 03:10:44 AM

First of all, I admit that I am suppose to learn more about how things work here, and I am just finding out of your comment that I can delete my request for translation from there.
Second of all, Yes I PM you even before I report you, and I said you I would because I was mad about your methods.
Third, you´re stating that I candidate to translate with the knowledge that the coin was a scam. That´s untrue, you have been reported in your past for promoting scam coin. Did you know it? Did you do do it on purpose? That´s why you assume that I would do it? And, where was the warning that the coin was a scam? Was in the thread itself? So, it´s a lot of questions that could be avoided with a simple message.
But you don´t take the trouble to warn people, do you? You just come to an assumption, and like the all powerful authority, you go out damaging people reputation without any concern.
So, if you want to do a POLICE job that I think it´s VERY VALUABLE and APPLAUSABLE, do it right. Don´t be a jerk up front, be fair. A simple warning would avoid all of that.
I am not a kid anymore, so I am here to be a scumbag, I value my reputation and what you did, made me really mad.
So, please repair my trust and I do it likewise.
Your post is a few days old, but I didn't see it...this forum is like that.  It's like life: You
get the test first, then you get the lesson.  And if you haven't figured it out yet, a lot of the
new ICOs are shady at best, and some, like this one are outright scams.  Cryptodevil is doing
what he sees fit as far as policing, and it definitely needs to be done.

The issue of these translations is a whole other problem, one that has implications that reach far
beyond people getting scammed.  I'm talking about shit posting and so forth, ruining the quality
of bitcointalk.  People are so desperate for online work that they'll use google translate to pump
out total crap and pass it off as good work.  Stay away from that, that's what I say.
cdtc

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 12:19:14 AM

The ICO scam bubble is going to post soon, people are becoming more keen to inspecting before they invest. The whole Altcoin ANN section now is a shitshow.

BetFury                                                     
🐥Twitter | 📩Telegram | 🎲 You play - We pay 🎲 | YouTube 🍿| Reddit  🕹
                                                    Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                                   
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: