Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:52:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: similarities between bitcoin and esperanto  (Read 3357 times)
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 06, 2010, 03:54:02 AM

It just occured to me how similar are these two projects.  Somehow, I wonder if one can not consider bitcoin to be to money what esperanto is to language.

I just hope I'm wrong, because I wish bitcoin gets more success than esperanto did.

Anyway, here are the similarities I'm talking about.

First, it's an artificial construction from one person.  Zamenhof for esperanto, Satoshi for bitcoin.  The "artificial" aspect is what most opponent of esperanto and bitcoin are willing to advance when rejecting them.  Esperanto is not a "real" language, and bitcoin is "backed by nothing", will they say.

Second, both have the same empire as an opponent.  English for esperanto.  Dollar for bitcoin.

Finally, both are international projects.  They are designed to put every countries on the exact same level.

Esperanto is more than an hundred years now.  It's quite an efficient language and it has shown many times that it is a better language for international communication.  Unfortunately, people are still not much convinced by it.

I'm afraid something similar could happen to bitcoin.  A few millions people will use it and will prove that it is a better money than any other else, but they will just fail in convincing other people about that.  Even after an hundred years.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1071

View Profile
December 06, 2010, 08:33:35 AM

Esperanto took me 2 weeks 24x7 all day to learn. Bitcoin took me 5 mins to start.

I can communicate with English fine everywhere. I cannot pay for things on the net, or withdraw money abroad without bending over to take it in the ass without even a kiss or a reach around.

Big difference.

Lastly, Esperanto is undergoing a modern revival due to the internet. Now 2 million speak it, which is comparable to a small European country like Estonia.

Using your analogy I can conclude that Linux or Free Software would've been a failure... But it clearly is not!
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
December 06, 2010, 09:02:14 AM

What do you guys think of lojban? Some say it is better than esperanto, and it is easier to learn.
tyler

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2010, 12:56:26 PM

What do you guys think of lojban? Some say it is better than esperanto, and it is easier to learn.

Lojban seems cool because it doesn't have the western bias of esperanto
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5152
Merit: 12580

View Profile
December 06, 2010, 01:17:53 PM

I don't like the "latin" sound of Esperanto (as well as Spanish, French, etc.). Lojban sounds better.

Bitcoin probably will always be niche, but that doesn't really matter. As long as it exists, people can use it if they want to. Bitcoin is useful even with just 1,000 users, unlike Esperanto.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
tyler

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2010, 01:26:01 PM

two more things cool about lojban

it has an irc channel on freenode #lojban

it is meant to be machine readable and is engineered to be non-ambiguous
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 07, 2010, 02:04:43 AM

two more things cool about lojban

it has an irc channel on freenode #lojban

it is meant to be machine readable and is engineered to be non-ambiguous

I've just been reading the introductory brochure
http://www.lojban.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Lojban%20Introductory%20Brochure
and it seems interesting enough for me to start trying to learn it.

Who knows, maybe in short time I'll translate the bitcoin main page into lojban Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: