Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:55:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Police raids of miner homes? Should I expect one soon?  (Read 4884 times)
nzalog (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 06:01:24 AM
Last edit: September 18, 2018, 12:48:27 AM by frodocooper

So recently I notice a few really odd things that all kind of lead me to think I might in the process of being investigated.

1) Power company stopped letting me look at my usage the way I normally do and I can't make modifications to my power plan or even view how much it's estimated to cost me. The first month my bill for electricity didn't even show until the following month and still I have these weird restrictions on my account. I use PGE and normally I can see a day/day hour/hour breakdown of cost and usage. This is all gone now.

2) My neighbor reported some strange guy walking in our apartments private lot, he parked his moto behind my car the walked around taking picture of random things near the apartment. This person apparently came by about 2-3 times as I saw him when I got home and my neighbor had pics of him 30 mines earlier. He kept looking at me kind of oddly, but I ignored it not giving it any though at the time. Later is when my neighbor showed me picture and told me more details.

3) I get two books mailed to me that I didn't order, when i contacted the site that sent them they could only tell me the first name is given and it's not anyone I know or anyone who'd send me books. The books were "The little price" and "George Orwell 1984".

So by now you all must be thinking "ok this dude is paranoid, how does any of this fit together?"...

1) When i called PGE they were really curious about my power usage, and my theory is police and power companies work together to catch people who grow weed.

2) My theory with this is he was some sort of private investigator hired to check out my house since it flagged me as some weed grower based on the power usage. He apparently asked my neighbor "is there a yard?". (The other theory with this guy is that maybe he was casing my apartment. I have a nice car in the drive way so maybe a thief looking for ways to break in.)

3) This one is what really got me thinking, not actually reading either one of these books I found out that 1984 is just kind of a "big brother is watching" type of book and Little Prince is a "Don't value money value people" type of moral. Now... I'm a young guy and innocent looking, I would not doubt that that private investigator was trying to tip me off that "someone is watching and my values need to change".

All of this has happened within two months since I started mining, I use about 70 KWh per day...

Anyways what are your thoughts? I'd like to hear all your opinions because since these odd things happeneing recently it just made my mind run quite a bit. I know I'm making some leaps here but it's really the best theory I have that fits all of this. My life is normally pretty ordinary and neighborhood very calm so these small things stand out a little (while not on their own, they do together).

I guess best thing I can do it clean up my house for when they come with the search warrant... lol
nzalog (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 06:09:50 AM

Is there any way for you to let them know whats up? Tell them or even show them around so its not unsolicited?

Thought about that, but I'm not sure who would be conducting the investigation, I'm not sure if it's local police or another agency. I'll try and look a bit more into this, I would not want the police showing up and making me look like some criminal if they come here in some spectacular fashion. I also hope they are not asking about me from my work or anything like that as that could potentially affect my job even if there is nothing illegal going on with me.
hello_good_sir

Activity: 1008
Merit: 531

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 06:12:24 AM
Last edit: September 18, 2018, 12:48:56 AM by frodocooper

Wow, what a story. It almost sounds like a fiction.

I do think that if you are doing nothing else illegal, and just mining, then the reason why all this happened was probably because of your electricity usage, especially when you are living in an apartment. Using so much electricity is simply not normal.

It could be possible that the police is working in conjunction with the power companies to catch weed growers, i don't know. It's a really wild guess. I have never mined with a lot of equipment consuming tons of energy, nor have i ever grown pot indoors. So i don't know man. Just try to not make yourself look too suspicious and you'd be alright.

nzalog (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 06:28:36 AM

Wow, what a story. It almost sounds like a fiction.

I do think that if you are doing nothing else illegal, and just mining, then the reason why all this happened was probably because of your electricity usage, especially when you are living in an apartment. Using so much electricity is simply not normal.

It could be possible that the police is working in conjunction with the power companies to catch weed growers, i don't know. It's a really wild guess. I have never mined with a lot of equipment consuming tons of energy, nor have i ever grown pot indoors. So i don't know man. Just try to not make yourself look too suspicious and you'd be alright.

Yeah it's a lot to process, it's been about two weeks since who the weird guy showed up about 5 days since I received the books as a "gift". It's kind of a lot to process and it led me to setting up some cameras (specifically right after the guy was scoping the apartment out). When I received the books I was not sure if maybe a passive aggressive neighbor was trying to tell me something (because I got those after the camera went up so maybe they notice that) both kind of make sense but I think what I posted here initially fits best.

I don't have anything to hide but it does make my mind run and it's a bit nerve wrecking.
gbBit

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 08:04:35 AM

My guess is that it's the police like you said and if that's the case just call them and let them know what's going on.  It's better not to waste anymore of your or their time on this.  If you wait until too long and they end up kicking in your door then the dectective will have to have to "make a case" somehow.  Just keep in mind that although mining isn't illegal trading can be if not using a FINCEN trader.  This isn't something they're likely to care about as long as you identify what you're doing now, but if they kick in the door for no reason and need to bring a charge to avoid a lawsuit then this is an easy one to hang on almost any miner.

The other thing you might consider is to think back who you discussed your mining operations with.  Mining equipment is very expensive and an apartment is a soft target.  In this case I also recommend talking to the police and they'll step up patrols in your neighborhood.

The last thing I would say is I still can't see how people using PG&E are mining at home.  Find a hosting company and send your equipment to them.  Less stress and will cost you less.
nzalog (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 08:31:46 AM

My guess is that it's the police like you said and if that's the case just call them and let them know what's going on.  It's better not to waste anymore of your or their time on this.  If you wait until too long and they end up kicking in your door then the dectective will have to have to "make a case" somehow.  Just keep in mind that although mining isn't illegal trading can be if not using a FINCEN trader.  This isn't something they're likely to care about as long as you identify what you're doing now, but if they kick in the door for no reason and need to bring a charge to avoid a lawsuit then this is an easy one to hang on almost any miner.

The other thing you might consider is to think back who you discussed your mining operations with.  Mining equipment is very expensive and an apartment is a soft target.  In this case I also recommend talking to the police and they'll step up patrols in your neighborhood.

The last thing I would say is I still can't see how people using PG&E are mining at home.  Find a hosting company and send your equipment to them.  Less stress and will cost you less.

Will think about it a bit more and and probably call the local police soon. Wonder if they can do anything to me if I never actually turned any crypto back into USD, I've only traded between different crypto.

Yeah, I've thought back who might know what I have and it's very limited.

Overall I enjoy this as a sort of hobby. If it's more cost effective overall it might be worth getting hosting. thanks.

coolcoinz
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1104

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 01:50:22 PM

Somebody is definitely messing with you. I'd invest in security a bit. Get a security system with cameras that tracks movement and sends messages to your email and phone every time it's triggered. These things aren't expensive, you can get a decent one below $1000, provided you'll set it up yourself.
It may be some weirdo, a curious neighbor, one of your friends, the government... Don't get paranoid, but secure your investment. Better locks might help too Wink

nzalog (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 03:42:37 PM

Somebody is definitely messing with you. I'd invest in security a bit. Get a security system with cameras that tracks movement and sends messages to your email and phone every time it's triggered. These things aren't expensive, you can get a decent one below $1000, provided you'll set it up yourself.
It may be some weirdo, a curious neighbor, one of your friends, the government... Don't get paranoid, but secure your investment. Better locks might help too Wink

Yeah I have a pair of cameras that I put up right after the the guy was in our parking lot. I have one camera that just records motion (outside and gets triggered a lot). The other camera is at my front door and it sends an alert to my phone when I'm not home and it senses motion.
nzalog (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 04:50:26 PM

Yes i have heard that police raids miners house in russia, but i really cant understand why and what problem they have...
Maybe the governments are opposed to bitcoin, because they cant control it, but i think nothing can stop bitcoin and privacy

Generally high electrical usage is equated to marijuana growing operations. So while the high usage may get their attention, once they go through the process of getting a search warrant, they may try to find another reason to bust you even if extremely petty.
Hockeybum

Activity: 113
Merit: 31

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 05:14:03 PM

I installed 2 60 amp 3 phase receptacles in my warehouse in CA on a Friday a few months back.  On the following Monday morning I had 3 trucks from the city and utility department taking pictures and documenting everything.  They threatened to shut down power but I have a monitored fuel tank in the back so the state law prevented that from happening.  My power usage went from 4 kW to 44 kW and I do have a smart meter at the building, so that's what triggered it.  I have attempted to get a permit after the fact but ran into issues with that so they will probably come by one day to disconnect everything.  I just applied for 1 MW of power at a building in WA so I hope that goes smoothly, currently running 40 kW there without incident.
nzalog (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 05:23:09 PM

I installed 2 60 amp 3 phase receptacles in my warehouse in CA on a Friday a few months back.  On the following Monday morning I had 3 trucks from the city and utility department taking pictures and documenting everything.  They threatened to shut down power but I have a monitored fuel tank in the back so the state law prevented that from happening.  My power usage went from 4 kW to 44 kW and I do have a smart meter at the building, so that's what triggered it.  I have attempted to get a permit after the fact but ran into issues with that so they will probably come by one day to disconnect everything.  I just applied for 1 MW of power at a building in WA so I hope that goes smoothly, currently running 40 kW there without incident.

So that might explain a bit, I'm in CA too and also have a "smart meter". What was their reasoning to threaten to shut it down? Was all your work up to code?

What I find funny about all of this is that I know there are idiots out there risking their freedom by jumping the meter to get free electricity. Here I am doing nothing wrong (yet paying an arm and leg for electricity) and I'm probably on some list, while some scumbags who are literally stealing don't get bothered.
Hockeybum

Activity: 113
Merit: 31

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 05:39:00 PM

I didn't want to go through the trouble and expense of getting a permit.  I did hire a licensed electrician and it was all done to code so they didn't see an imminent threat to the safety of the building or public.  They called a few days ago to get an update about the permit.  He said that without a permit they will shut me down within a few weeks.  I presented plans for a permit over a month ago and they sent it back for revision.  Now I'm having issues with my engineers who don't want to do the revisions on the plan so I will probably just scrap the plan here once I have 1MW power in WA.  Power costs here in CA are 4x what they are in WA but I don't have rent to deal with here and the miners are just minutes away instead of 12 hours if there is a problem.
Ctn

Activity: 644
Merit: 259

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 02:55:06 AM

I really liked your story. I thought I was in a movie for the instance.

Anyway, I don't think there is problem with your set up if the bitcoin thing is legal in your country. Just check with rules whether you can mine in the residential zone or not. These guys might be curious because of energy that you are using is not the normal one that powers the house. This is just their duty to confirm that you are not using the power for any illegal use.

No need to clean up as long as you are paying the electricity bills. Lols.
cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 03:06:22 AM

Lol yes! 1984! Big brother is watching you! I just know they're going to speak to you at some point or just break down your door looking for a grow op. I'd say call the power company and the police and explain you mine bitcoins. Unless bitcoins are frowned upon too then just act dumb. "Do space heaters use a lot of power? I have 6 around my apartment."
BenOnceAgain

Activity: 208
Merit: 84

🌐 www.btric.org 🌐

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2017, 06:44:16 AM
Last edit: September 18, 2018, 12:53:04 AM by frodocooper

3) I get two books mailed to me that I didn't order, when i contacted the site that sent them they could only tell me the first name is given and it's not anyone I know or anyone who'd send me books. The books were "The little price" and "George Orwell 1984".

Wow, that's crazy!  Did you look through the books/binding and/or packaging for a listening device or some other type of sensor?  In the context of drug cultivation investigations, I've heard of "bugs" being planted in packages that people bring inside.

Unless mining is illegal in your jurisdiction, you could go to the police and tell them what you've shared here.  If they were investigating you, thinking you were running a grow operation, they would probably be very happy to learn you're just mining.  Might want to take a look at your rig to verify.

Dream it. Plan it. Build it.
Need help with your project? [MY WEBSITE] | [MY COMPANY] | [BLOG] | [TWITTER] | [LINKEDIN] | [EMAIL]
Want to help support the blockchain charity I'm building? [LEARN ABOUT BTRIC] | [DONATE] | [TWITTER] | [EMAIL]
nzalog (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 08:05:17 AM

Appreciate all the advice from all of you guys on this. I'll probably reach out to the police tomorrow morning unless they "reach out to me" first.
I was joking around with my girlfriend that if they do bust in, I'm going to ask if they'd be willing to pose next to my mining rig.
gbBit

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 08:50:21 AM
Last edit: September 18, 2018, 12:54:29 AM by frodocooper

Read what happen to this family and don't trust some over zealous detective won't try to make a case to advance his career.  This family is very lucky their kids weren't shot.  Your best bet is be proactive, discuss with the authorities what's going on before things get out of hand.

Based on that observation and the belief that such equipment is often used in home marijuana growing operations, deputies subsequently searched the couple’s household trash.

Vegetable material found in the trash actually was loose tea leaves, according to the suit. Deputies later said that the vegetation tested positive for marijuana based on a field test.

But it was never submitted to a laboratory for testing.

Instead, a search warrant was obtained and officers armed with assault rifles conducted a raid on the couple’s home while their children, a seventh-grader and a kindergartner, were present.

The raid was timed to coincide with a planned press conference about the effort to fight marijuana trafficking.
YabaDabaDoo

Activity: 68

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 09:57:40 AM
Last edit: September 18, 2018, 12:55:17 AM by frodocooper

All of this has happened within two months since I started mining, I use about 70 KWh per day...

Dude how do you mine in apartment @ 70 KWh? I have 3 miners running at 1.2 KWh each and there is noise / heat problem. To be @ 70 KWh it would be 58 A741 running.  If you are running such a large mining operation from an apartment I am surprised none of your neighbors approached you about the noise.  I am currently running my miners under 3600 RPM so they're not very noisy but nevertheless you can hear across entire apartment, even front door if door to the room where they are is open.

I would talk to your building management first, tell them about suspicious activity and tell them you have expensive mining equipment and are concerned. Call electrical company and ask them about discounts for high electrical consumption, tell them you are a bitcoin miner.
gbBit

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 11:44:31 AM
Last edit: September 18, 2018, 12:55:31 AM by frodocooper

Dude how do you mine in apartment @ 70 KWh? I have 3 miners running at 1.2 KWh each and there is noise / heat problem. To be @ 70 KWh it would be 58 A741 running.  If you are running such a large mining operation from an apartment I am surprised none of your neighbors approached you about the noise.  I am currently running my miners under 3600 RPM so they're not very noisy but nevertheless you can hear across entire apartment, even front door if door to the room where they are is open.

I would talk to your building management first, tell them about suspicious activity and tell them you have expensive mining equipment and are concerned. Call electrical company and ask them about discounts for high electrical consumption, tell them you are a bitcoin miner.

70kWh in a day is only only 2.9 kWh in a hour or 2 T9s.  Yes likely very loud but some people put up with it.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 07:16:33 PM

Im from California originally and I used to run 10kw worth of equipment in my garage. I was paying $1100-1300/mo in power and over the course of 3 years I never had an issue. The power company did not care as long as my bill was paid. The only thing they said was if it got shut off due to non payment they would require a $2000 deposit to turn it back on based on my usage. I only had PGE for my gas though, my power was through a local company.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
YabaDabaDoo

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 10:35:11 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2018, 12:56:43 AM by frodocooper

70kWh in a day is only only 2.9 kWh in a hour or 2 T9s.  Yes likely very loud but some people put up with it.

Running 2 miners would not cause any usual activity from power company.

This summer we had a few interns and one of them said his college roommate runs 10 x S9 in dorm apartment because of free electricity and central air conditioning. Don't know how people would be able to live in dorm room with 10 miners running Wink
ac1905

Activity: 39

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 11:25:40 PM

Go with your gut feeling, but i've not heard of any miners homes being raided unless you live in some communist country.

In regards to the 3rd point, probably unrelated. I seriously doubt they would tip you off by ordering a book like 1984.
YabaDabaDoo

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 12:09:45 AM

Go with your gut feeling, but i've not heard of any miners homes being raided unless you live in some communist country.

In regards to the 3rd point, probably unrelated. I seriously doubt they would tip you off by ordering a book like 1984.

In Soviet Russia you dont mine Bitcoin, Bitcoin mines you! Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: