Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:46:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Holy Grail! I wish I could kiss the author of Bitmessage on his face.  (Read 92686 times)
fellowtraveler (OP)

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 10:08:20 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2013, 10:35:04 PM by fellowtraveler

Last night, randy-waterhouse and I were experimenting with Bitmessage. (*smooch*!!)

Bitmessage is a p2p messaging (and broadcast / subscription) protocol, based on the Bitcoin protocol.

It uses its own blockchain, but the chain only stores the last 2 or 3 days worth of messages. (It's assumed they were delivered within that time, where they are then safely stored on the recipient's inbox.)

Combining the above Bitmessage capabilities--which we already proved out experimentally--with Open-Transactions, makes possible fully-decentralized p2p markets, as well as p2p escrow across OT federated servers, easy p2p and server-to-server wiring of funds and conversion of currencies, both within OT and also between OT and the conventional banking system.

Furthermore, this is possible with little-to-no changes inside OT itself, and will not require the issuing of credit, nor will it require any pre-mined currency.

How does it work?

-----------------------------------------------------------

A few concepts...

--- First, keep in mind the concept that Bitcoins and Colored Coins (either/both) could be issued onto an OT server, without having to trust the server itself, through the use the multi-sig "voting pools" on the blockchain itself. I've already extensively discussed this on this board, and here's an article on how it's done:  http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/a/834/309

--- Second, keep in mind that using Colored Coins instead of Bitcoins is advantageous in certain circumstances, as it allows users to buy/sell those colored coins (for the purposes of transmitting other currencies) without incurring any capital gains tax liability. (I'm not a lawyer and that's not legal advice. The basic gist is, if you buy a colored coin for $100, and sell it for $100, there is obviously no gain or loss.)

T H E   H O L Y   G R A I L

Enter Bitmessage! (Which solves discovery across federated OT servers.)

As I said, randy-waterhouse and I already TESTED Bitmessage last night to prove experimentally that this is possible (and it worked.)

Using Bitmessage with OT to effect server-to-server wiring of funds: http://pastebin.com/NjQgDarx

--- The wiring protocol is all about Alice trying to discover Bob so she can move her money from one server to another (and Bob trying to discover Alice so he can make a profit by moving money from one server to another.)

Using Bitmessage with OT to effect escrow-based conversion of currencies across OT federated servers:  http://pastebin.com/S1W5guAQ

--- The currency conversion protocol is about Alice and Bob being able to choose a server they can agree to meet on so they can trade one currency for another inside OT. (For cases where they aren't already trading on the same OT server.)

Using Bitmessage with OT and SEPA so that Alice can p2p send any currency which Bob receives as Euros in his Euro account: http://pastebin.com/SsLrxVP6

--- The SEPA transfer protocol is about Alice being able to send Silver Grams, which Bob receives as Euros in his Euro bank account. It's also about Jorg earning a profit in silver grams, by sending a SEPA transfer to Bob on Alice's behalf.

We already knew that OT offered quite a few benefits to Bitcoin: http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/a/2710/309

But now, combined with Bitmessage, Open-Transactions becomes a juggernaut!

The above protocols can be implemented inside OT wallet GUIs, such that they are automated and transparent to users.

May a million currencies bloom!

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 10:36:32 PM

I do not believe bitmessage uses a blockchain currently (it didn't when I looked at it before, and with a quick glance that doesn't seem to have changed).

A blockchain (and the resulting ~global consistency) isn't needed for traffic analysis resistant anonymous communication ... though it does have an effect of creating some unjammability.  I don't think bitmessage has unjammability esp for widely known keys.  I think unjammability is important for OT's usage here.

Am I confused?
fellowtraveler (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 10:38:52 PM

Most of the capabilities were already latent in OT. Bitmessage is just what solves discovery.

(In fact you could swap it out for any similar solution which solves discovery.)

co-founder, Monetas
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 10:39:43 PM

Whoa ... is this what I think it is, blueprint for P2P exchange?

fellowtraveler (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 10:40:09 PM

Whoa ... is this what I think it is, blueprint for P2P exchange?

Yes.

co-founder, Monetas
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 10:42:52 PM

uuh! I really like to see some evolvement on this Cheesy (and I'm already a fan of Bitmessage!)

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Birdy

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 10:44:17 PM

This does sound like it's a big o,O Is it?
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 10:44:40 PM

Ahh.  Brilliant.  I'm still looking at it in detail, but this looks incredible!

It's the last piece of the puzzle:  the link between all currencies.

Oh - and the end of Ripple.  Rest In Pieces.   Kiss

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 10:46:03 PM

This is a little over my blond head.  I am assuming OP is excited because this means easier transfer of BTC peer to peer without the long wait for blockchain verification?  Can someone dumb this down for me?  THX

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 10:51:19 PM

Nice, I will have to check more into Bitmessage.

Does it require a client on your machine, or can it be done online?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:00:18 PM

I would like to suggest that they change the name if this will indeed become a successful P2P exchange. Perhaps a more interesting name would be beneficial later on when people wonder what it is.
fellowtraveler (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:06:44 PM

I would like to suggest that they change the name if this will indeed become a successful P2P exchange. Perhaps a more interesting name would be beneficial later on when people wonder what it is.

The name is "Open-Transactions."

The above protocols use Bitmessage for the discovery layer, but any other discovery layer could also be swapped in.

co-founder, Monetas
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 11:21:01 PM

Wow. Just wow.

This is the start of something big.

I don't really understand it yet but I can recognise a revolution when I see one.

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:34:58 PM

The name is "Open-Transactions."

The above protocols use Bitmessage for the discovery layer, but any other discovery layer could also be swapped in.

Great, I just want to make sure we iron out any new potential complications relating to Bitcoin projects. I hope this projects goes well, if I can contribute any design content(Free of charge) I will. Smiley
Manawarp

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:40:11 PM

Economic technology is now one step closer to singularity.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:44:25 PM

Wow, not sure if this means what I think it means, but after checking out open transactions, I have a feeling it means the end of the not so open Ripple idea.
miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:53:10 PM

Fantastic!

One thing I'm curious about is the propagation and validation. With the transaction notification being passed through bitmessage, acceptance is still dependent upon the receiver, correct? Txs therefore can be instantaneous, but might also incur a variable delay?
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:54:31 PM

This really looks like a promising idea. Will be following closely.
TalkingAntColony

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 12:01:41 AM

Just learned about Bitmessage. I suggest people go read the white paper on their wiki - short and to the point. It has the potential to upset email because of the increased privacy, built-in mailing-list functionality, and anti-spam measures (proof of work makes it hard to create lots of messages fast). This Open Transaction use case is a perfect example of the innovation possible with it.
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 12:07:08 AM

Out of curiosity if this was to gain momentum what would it mean for traditional Bitcoin exchanges? I am curious as today I just started working on a new UK exchange (small scale).

* I will be back on tomorow to read the paper too *  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: