Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:32:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I was offered $550 to say that "Ripple is a Scam."  (Read 9133 times)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:46:13 AM

This is amazing. If you look at the Ripple giveaway thread, you can see that lots of people were apparently changing their original request posts from requesting Ripples (XRP) to claiming it's a scam.

Then, someone with some integrity changed their post midstream the apparent astroturfing to let everyone know what was going on.

I was offered $550 to say that "Ripple is a Scam."

I received an interesting message in my bitcointalk.org inbox today. It said that a user going by the name of 'TradeFortress' was paying forum members 5 BTC to edit their posts in this thread to say that, "Ripple is a scam."

This is the exact text he wanted each user to post:

"Ripple is a scam! Ripple is a get rich quick scheme for it's creators, a private for-profit company. It is NOT open source. It is CENTRALIZED, akin to PayPal rather than Bitcoin. For more info, visit RippleScam.org."

Ironically, in the earlier days of Bitcoin (2010, 2011, and well into 2012), the same accusations were spread about Bitcoin. Bitcoin was a "Ponzi-scheme," "pyramid scheme," "scam," etc. The same Bitcoin supporters that fought these accusations tooth and nail are now saying the same thing about Ripple.

Ripple is led by Jed McCaleb (founder of MtGox, eDonkey) and Chris Larsen (e-loan, Prosper.com), both successful businessmen who do not have an interest in sullying their good names.

Arthur Britto, Stefan Thomas, and David Schwartz are major contributors to Ripple's development, and all played an active role in Bitcoin's early successes.

OpenCoin, the company overseeing Ripple, has already raised venture capital from firms led by the co-founders of PayPal and Netscape. These firms do not invest in scams, but in companies with unique ideas that will turn a significant profit if successful.

Ripple will only be successful if it's able to provide its users with the ability to send quick, cheap transactions to anyone, anywhere in the world, using any currency. It's intended goal is to let users do just that, in their currency of choice, as easily as it is to send an email.

Some Bitcoin users, like TradeFortress, are afraid of the idea of a central organization driving the development of such a capability. They think that if anyone is in charge, and if that anyone might turn a profit, then it's not in the best interest of anyone to use their service. Some Bitcoin users, like TradeFortress, are adamant about this, to the point that they're willing to pay out thousands of dollars worth of Bitcoin to get their message across. Ironically, a very large percentage of Bitcoin users are hoarding Bitcoins to do just that, turn a profit. Profit is fine for them, as long as it's for them.

If Ripple is a scam, and its users are unable to take advantage of Ripple's services as advertised, then Ripple will quickly disappear as another failed business. If the fact that a centrally organized team is driving the development of a product equates to "scam," (this is the main argument) then pretty much every product and service you've ever used is also a scam.

You've probably heard that large websites like Reddit and OKCupid are now accepting Bitcoin. The fact of the matter is, they're not accepting Bitcoin at all. They're actually accepting US dollars. Reddit and OKCupid are using the services of a company called Coinbase that instantly converts Bitcoin payments into US dollars for a small fee. Reddit and OKCupid don't want Bitcoins because they can't pay their employees or their bills with Bitcoins, but they can do that with US dollars. In other words, large corporations aren't interested in Bitcoins themselves, but in the savings that can be had by using Bitcoin as a value-transfer mechanism, or protocol.

Similarly, Ripple is a protocol for sending money, but with Ripple you don't have to buy a digital currency like Bitcoin to get your money from A to B. You can send USD, EUR, CAD, AUD, whatever you wish, and as more Gateways come online, more currencies will become accessible. As long as you have a very small quantity of Ripples (XRP) in your account (just one or two dollars worth), you'll be able to complete thousands of transactions. This is Ripple's main advantage over Bitcoin, and why a lot of Bitcoin users are afraid of it.

Even Roger Ver, a.k.a. "Bitcoin Jesus" has to pay his supply chain to keep the Bitcoin Store running, so he can't use Bitcoins either. Roger Ver doesn't accept Bitcoin, he accepts US dollars from BitPay. If even Bitcoin Jesus isn't interested in Bitcoins themselves, then why not let customers use their local currencies from the get-go and take out the Bitcoin middleman? If the same, or even greater savings can be had with a better protocol, then why not use Ripple?

---

As always, do your due diligence, and come to your own conclusions. I can assure you that Ripple is not a scam, but I can't guarantee that it isn't a threat to Bitcoin.

http://www.thebitcointrader.com/2013/05/i-was-offered-550-to-say-that-ripple-is.html

What does this mean?

Well, first and foremost it means that anyone who posts a "Ripple is a scam" comment should now have their integrity called into question (thanks a lot TradeFortress). It proves they are shills and will say anything for a dollar. It also proves people like TradeFortress (he's not an evil genius, this has been happening in Bitcoin from day one) will resort to paying other people to state something as fact, trying to astroturf a topic as being a "community consensus" in attempts to sabotage, influence, deceive, etc.

Bitcoin is very young and with the ease of collecting bitcoins for miners, it's equally easy to purchase influence in the community and use deceptive tactics such as astroturfing. While one party seems to think that Ripple is a scam and claims they are "paid agents trying to subvert bitcoin", that same party is paying others to subvert Ripple.

Be careful what you read on these forums and don't take anything anyone says for face value (*especially* people with a vested interest in bitcoin such as the major business owners and investors). It's all a game of rich men who want to turn bitcoin into exactly the same thing people left bitcoin from. They're not angry at the banks for deceiving others into paying them money, they're angry they can't do the same thing. Now they can, thanks to bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ktttn

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 04:48:33 AM

I'd accept 4BTC to say ripple is a scam.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:50:16 AM

I won't say it's a scam... just that it is a scammer's paradise.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:52:12 AM

This forum is now a circus.
merve10495

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:53:12 AM

4BTC to say what I'm already saying?
People PM me or place these magic coins in my wallet for me to preach the obvious!

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:53:58 AM

I'll say its a scam for 3BTC and for 10BTC I'll throw in a hooker direct to your house.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:57:10 AM

All these offers and I wasn't asked? Hmph I'm offended lol...just kidding  Tongue

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

notaek
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 04:59:25 AM

Just so you guys know I will say ANYTHING you want me to for 1 BTC.

Seriously.  PM me.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:59:40 AM

All these offers and I wasn't asked? Hmph I'm offended lol...just kidding  Tongue

Proper astroturfing would require choosing shills who won't ask questions. They made a mistake asking GoWest.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:01:55 AM

Just so you guys know I will say ANYTHING you want me to for 1 BTC.

Seriously.  PM me.

So is this the going rate for auto sock puppeting? Lol Cheesy

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 05:02:33 AM

Who in their right mind would pay Matt to say Ripple is a scam?

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
scalar33

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:02:52 AM

I'll say it's a scam for 12,000 XRP Ripples   Grin

62 Posts  BTC: 12UByjpZgQMV1j8Hg8KQuztGbmfb2aD5HM
akabmikua

Activity: 223

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:03:58 AM

I'd say its a SCAM for 4 BTC for sure!!

BTC: 16V3WVdW1oXbgAdDHKHdvJ9Msm4CSDrigf
Always, respect. Join CEX.IO and we both get advatage.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:06:31 AM

i criticize Ripple b/c i honestly think the economic assumptions behind the Ripple concept are highly dubious and will fail.  i've never been approached nor accepted any bribe money to be anti-Ripple.

i never signed up for any XRP b/c i never believed in the concept.  yes, i have BTC but that doesn't influence my opinion at all.

what also pushed me to become vocal about this in just the last few days is the fact that Ripple has been spamming the Discussion Forum with anti-Bitcoin threads and trying to steal Bitcoiners away to Ripple in what i view as a zero sum game.

otoh, OT + BM appears to be a promising combination built on the same principles that Bitcoin was and i will look at their platform with enthusiasm.
Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:15:31 AM

otoh, OT + BM appears to be a promising combination built on the same principles that Bitcoin was and i will look at their platform with enthusiasm.

What's this?

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
SGExodus

Activity: 232

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:18:33 AM

Pay me $550..  I can edit my post to say whatever you want to say too.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:19:58 AM

i criticize Ripple b/c i honestly think the economic assumptions behind the Ripple concept are highly dubious and will fail.  i've never been approached nor accepted any bribe money to be anti-Ripple.

i never signed up for any XRP b/c i never believed in the concept.  yes, i have BTC but that doesn't influence my opinion at all.

what also pushed me to become vocal about this in just the last few days is the fact that Ripple has been spamming the Discussion Forum with anti-Bitcoin threads and trying to steal Bitcoiners away to Ripple in what i view as a zero sum game.

But Cypherdoc would you say its a scam for 5BTC

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:20:10 AM

Ripple has been spamming the Discussion Forum with anti-Bitcoin threads

I'd love to read those. Can you provide a link?

..unless they cannot be proven to be from OpenCoin directly (which means they might be TradeFortress paying someone else to post them to make them look bad, you never know) in which case I don't care to read them. Otherwise I sure as hell do!

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:23:31 AM

What's this?

OpenTransactions + BitMessage
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=212490.0

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:25:18 AM

But Cypherdoc would you say its a scam for 5BTC

money wouldn't affect my decision one way or the other.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: