Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:45:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Token Sale Model  (Read 762 times)
cryptodd (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 06:14:30 AM

Hi,

There is a wide range of token sale structures nowadays. Examples are

Capped First-Come First-Served
Capped
Capped Auction
Uncapped Auction

Source: https://blog.gdax.com/the-perfect-token-sale-structure-63c169789491

Although it states that there is no perfect sale structure I think there can be a more favourite structure for investors.

But besides the structure there is the total supply and the price per token. These play a large roll in the demand of the tokens and the succes of the ICO imo. I would love to hear your opinions on this. What do you think is the best total supply and price of tokens and do you have a facourite token sale structure,

Cheers!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
satoshforever

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 08:43:25 AM

Capped dutch auction is the best. That way whales have no advantage, if people want to overpay it's their problem
macro.exchange

Activity: 22

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 09:25:50 AM

ICO's are not driven by price, but are essentially a map from BTC or ETH to an exodus address which then generate an equivalent of new supply. They are one-off events because the supply is created at genesis. The goal of the ICO is often to get to the floating stage and then original investors can liquidate their holdings. Freezes are a mechanism to prevent early sell-outs. The tokens themselves don't have any expectation of return besides this increase in price.

Blockchains don't have well functioning auctioning systems, so the mentioned auction of tokens doesn't exist in terms of blockchain based mechanism (decentral ICO's). The question is also which individuals participate - ICO's have legal challenges. We believe the models of ICO's will evolve so that capital will be allocated more efficiently. At the moment too much focus is on a funding event, rather than the product itself which is tokenized. Arguably less capital is needed than currently allocated in the earlier stages of development.
Yankeeruinx

Activity: 443
Merit: 107

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 11:08:57 AM

This one: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2065888.0

Low supply, low price, great bonuses and 5 BTC cap to stop whales scooping it all up.  Grin
rudystyle

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 11:37:05 AM

CIVIC token sale was quite fair with a low market cap and queue system where everybody got  a chance to get in

cryptodd (OP)

Activity: 8

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 05:23:47 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Why would a lower supply be more attractive? If the tokens are just cheaper you get more of them right?

We're looking to have a really fair ico, much like the Civic ICO with a really max cap of around 5-10 million, because we believe a startup does not need tens of millions of dollars to build a company.

So what are your opinions on the max supply? Is a low supply really more interesting and why?
And what about price? Is $0,10 like Civic more attractive than say $0,80?
fishfishfish313

Activity: 546
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 06:38:06 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Why would a lower supply be more attractive? If the tokens are just cheaper you get more of them right?

We're looking to have a really fair ico, much like the Civic ICO with a really max cap of around 5-10 million, because we believe a startup does not need tens of millions of dollars to build a company.

So what are your opinions on the max supply? Is a low supply really more interesting and why?
And what about price? Is $0,10 like Civic more attractive than say $0,80?
This one: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2065888.0

Low supply, low price, great bonuses and 5 BTC cap to stop whales scooping it all up.  Grin

This is exactly the type of thing you are looking for.

A lower supply is more attractive, absolutely
If we take a look at XRP, there are 38,343,841,883 coins in circulation right now.  38 billion!!  And a little over 20 cents a coin.  If the tokens were two dollars each, it would give it a higher market cap than bitcoin.  But . . a coin like ZCASH has a much lower supply.  Currently there are 2,017,994 ZEC tokens.  They are valued at over 225.00 dollars right now.  

See the difference?  38 billion to 2 million.  

It would make sense then, that a low-supply coin with high demand would have a higher valuation per token that a high-supply high-inflation coin.  More does not always mean better.  Lets say you could have 1,000 coins of a currency worth 1 cent . . . or you could have 10 of a currency worth 100 dollars.  Which would you choose?  Right.

XBL is interesting, in that it offers a low-supply, and a low ICO-price.  But the kicker here, is the deflationary model that reduces the number of coins in existence . . which would lead to higher cost per token if demand is also kept high.  Inflation is an issue that many cryptos work diligently to slow, stop, or reduce.  But a deflationary model, such as offered by Billionaire Token, is a way to solve this inherent issue in cryptocurrencies.

I'll one shot you with the Wingman from the top of Skulltown - Apex
Yankeeruinx

Activity: 443
Merit: 107

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 06:45:58 PM

See the guy above gets it, low total supply combined with a low price is a win win. If the entire supply is sold at ICO price of $0.10 the total marketcap is only $300k!!!! In the world of crypto any dog shit project has a marketcap higher than that, yet this is a really good project and $1 is easily possible and that would still only be a marketcap of $3 million which is still extremely low, hell even a $30 million marketcap is within reach and that would be $10 a token, that's x100 the ICO price.

Can you now see why this is a very exciting ICO and one to watch for sure, with the low supply though I wouldn't sit on the fence for too long as they won't hang around I'm sure 👍
cenicsoft

Activity: 276

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2017, 06:55:19 PM

We decided to go with a Capped First-Come First-Served option in the BannerCoin ICO - (bannercoin.com) and priced per coin above $2.00. This was for a couple of reasons.

1) We wanted to be able to have a certain amount of tokens set aside for future initiatives, including product marketing and promotion. 2) We priced it high because the initial supply will be low and we are allowing it to be redeemed for service credits. We wanted to provide an incentive for our merchants to accept the token for payment which is a requirement when they enable digital currency payments. When accepting it as a payment, our merchants will be able to use the token immediately for services they already need instead of looking to the speculative market for price gains.

BannerCoin - officially trading on EtherDelta.
BannerView.com - Energize your Business Online, powered by BannerOS, the platform that turns your website into a powerful business tool.
swissgang

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2017, 07:43:32 PM

I don't know these ones but 0x's ico model is very good there are a lot of holders and no one is whale and so after it was listed on exchanges, its price went to the moon.

Analogplutonium

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 07:53:20 PM

the 0x token sale was the best I have ever seen. a registration period where everyone who wants to participate in the sale has to register and the total amount of tokens to be sold is just divided by all people who registered. In the first 24 hours everyone who registered can use his cap and the remaining tokens are sold after 24 hours in a second sales round with an increased cap per person. this model is fair for everyone and guarantees a good spread which is really important. I wish there were more ICOs like this.

The worst model is the ignis token sale where 1-10 accounts were able to buy the whole supply in a few seconds and everyone else left empty-handed. many people including me bought nxt just for this ico and after an unsuccessful try buy ignis nxt got dumped, resulting in 50% loss of value for nxt.

dakovic

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 08:16:24 PM

See the guy above gets it, low total supply combined with a low price is a win win. If the entire supply is sold at ICO price of $0.10 the total marketcap is only $300k!!!! In the world of crypto any dog shit project has a marketcap higher than that, yet this is a really good project and $1 is easily possible and that would still only be a marketcap of $3 million which is still extremely low, hell even a $30 million marketcap is within reach and that would be $10 a token, that's x100 the ICO price.

Can you now see why this is a very exciting ICO and one to watch for sure, with the low supply though I wouldn't sit on the fence for too long as they won't hang around I'm sure 👍

I agree this token has some real potential with that crazy low supply.  This is a 100x token just based on that.  But then when you look at the products of the coin this is a real winner.  Plus coin burning is built in to the system, lowering circulation even more.
yura888

Activity: 364

“Create Your Decentralized Life”

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 08:20:02 PM

I think that the best model was demonstrated by the coin team Civic token.

macro.exchange

Activity: 22

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 06:21:33 AM

the 0x token sale was the best I have ever seen. a registration period where everyone who wants to participate in the sale has to register and the total amount of tokens to be sold is just divided by all people who registered. In the first 24 hours everyone who registered can use his cap and the remaining tokens are sold after 24 hours in a second sales round with an increased cap per person. this model is fair for everyone and guarantees a good spread which is really important. I wish there were more ICOs like this.

The worst model is the ignis token sale where 1-10 accounts were able to buy the whole supply in a few seconds and everyone else left empty-handed. many people including me bought nxt just for this ico and after an unsuccessful try buy ignis nxt got dumped, resulting in 50% loss of value for nxt.

That's centralised. In terms of blockchain ICO's there is no such thing as registration. If one goes for a centralised model one might as well use an existing exchange, instead of having to need to build a proper pricing and matching engine from scratch. Agree, in principle this is much better model. The exchange can implement proper pricing mechanisms. If a token sale would be based on price, the highest bidders get tokens.
klixion

Activity: 645

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 06:45:08 AM

As long as the ico token sale is capped, I am ok with it being auction style or even first come first serve fixed priced.  It's the uncapped token sales that I always avoid. 
VanDeinsberg12

Activity: 1540
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 07:05:49 AM

Not only ignis, the land token already did the same thing with ignos project. The future of the coin will have manipulated by the whales, because there are some accouns that owned all of the ico percentage for the crowdsale. You must pay more to get the token.

.......[url]CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS...........[URL].....►  C O M I N G   S O O N.....
bit-freedom

Activity: 658
Merit: 256

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 07:50:49 AM

I prefer market to set the token price. The ICO set the number of tokens for sales and collect funds. At the end of the ICO, the token price is determined by the total amount raised.
clif_high

Activity: 49

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 06:12:23 PM

not sure which model is the best (maybe 0x, maybe not) but I know which model is the worst. Monkey Capital's CEO created token on the waves platform. Then he has been dumping several times these tokens on people, he said it is a 'novel' method of doing an ICO... Finally, the price of COE goes to nearly 0. And that's it. It is probably a total scam, beware of that kind of distribution! 
krankNL

Activity: 225

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 06:16:10 PM

not sure which model is the best (maybe 0x, maybe not) but I know which model is the worst. Monkey Capital's CEO created token on the waves platform. Then he has been dumping several times these tokens on people, he said it is a 'novel' method of doing an ICO... Finally, the price of COE goes to nearly 0. And that's it. It is probably a total scam, beware of that kind of distribution! 

We don't even need to discuss about this. Monkey capital thing was directly a scam and some warned others be careful against it, but others didn't take this serious. And we see what happened. CEO can't have tokens instantly, his tokens should have been locked, but its too late now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: