Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:13:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is It safe to run a full node?  (Read 656 times)
Fizak (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 02:51:27 PM

Hi guys
Is It really safe to run a full node? Does it make your network/computer vulnerable to external attacks?
I would like to run several full nodes, for different coins. What are the risks? I should use a VPN to avoid getting DDOS right?
Btw I would like to stay as anonymous as possible
Thanks
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Deathwing
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1328

Stultorum infinitus est numerus

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2017, 03:17:20 PM

Considering the fact that there will be (most likely) hundreds of nodes, it is not something THAT easy to DDoS all of them, but in case something like that happens the answer is, yes. There is a possibility that they can see your IP (even though chances are not that high) and possibly make a DDoS attack. If you are really keen on running bitcoin nodes (or any altcoin nodes in particular) you can check out some cheap VPS providers and host your wallets on VPS's alternatively, VPN is your option.
Fizak (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 03:28:15 PM
Last edit: August 25, 2017, 03:49:50 PM by Fizak

Considering the fact that there will be (most likely) hundreds of nodes, it is not something THAT easy to DDoS all of them, but in case something like that happens the answer is, yes. There is a possibility that they can see your IP (even though chances are not that high) and possibly make a DDoS attack. If you are really keen on running bitcoin nodes (or any altcoin nodes in particular) you can check out some cheap VPS providers and host your wallets on VPS's alternatively, VPN is your option.

Thanks. So DDOS is the only threat of running a full node?
I have to open some ports to run the node right? Would It make me an easy target for malware?
I don't feel comfortable to run them on a VPS since I want to store my coins there.
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 04:56:19 PM

You can use Tor, it is like VPN, it hides your IP, it is free tho and more private, it is designed against government spying and censoring, so it should be your best option for anonymity.

You don't need to open any ports if you don't want to accept incoming connections. Your node could simply connect to other nodes by itself. It has the same effect, but if you use Tor as well, there is no way for anyone to know your IP so you are safe from DDoS and so on, not that you would have trouble anyway.

You could also create a tor hidden service, which is like a website without anyone knowing your IP, that way you can accept incoming connections anonymously and again you won't need to forward any ports from your router.

Since you want anonymity Tor is your best option. It is pretty easy to setup, since Bitcoin Core is ready for Tor, you just turn the proxy on and the port will be there by default and maybe some more Tor options.

Good luck! Thanks for contributing to the Bitcoin network.
rublix

Activity: 46

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2017, 11:12:16 PM

The worst that could happen in all honesty is DDoS. We ran a full node on Windows (the most vulnerable OS ever) for over 6 months last year and never had a single issue.
Deathwing
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1328

Stultorum infinitus est numerus

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2017, 11:19:58 PM

Thanks. So DDOS is the only threat of running a full node?
I have to open some ports to run the node right? Would It make me an easy target for malware?
I don't feel comfortable to run them on a VPS since I want to store my coins there.

Yes, pretty much. Not much can happen besides that, all they see is your IP but that means if you have any vulnerable ports, you are a target for more than just DDoS, it's really, really, really RARE but it is possible.
You have to also open Bitcoin node's port 8333.
Fizak (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 10:19:36 PM

Thanks you for your replies guys  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: