Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:45:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I have had coins stolen from me by a Family member  (Read 932 times)
Cyptocab (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 04:29:28 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2017, 04:49:33 PM by Cyptocab

Hi,

A few years ago, I had 223 Bitcoins stolen from me on my Uphold account, from my trezor device and on my blockchain wallet. I have all the emails that show the transactions coming out of the family members bitcoin account. I just need help linking up on the blockchain, the money leaving my account and going into bitcoin limited company. If anyone can help me with this, I will reward them once I have been successful. I have been working on it for a while, I just need to trace the transactions from when they left my account and when they were withdrawn from the family members account.

Thanks

Matthew
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cubevtc

Activity: 496
Merit: 250

Ceck me in livestream twith

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2017, 04:34:47 PM

recover after fe years really?how can do that ?

trifiz

Activity: 269
Merit: 106

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 04:59:17 PM

Check your PM inbox   Wink
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 06:13:33 PM

Hi,

A few years ago, I had 223 Bitcoins stolen from me on my Uphold account, from my trezor device and on my blockchain wallet. I have all the emails that show the transactions coming out of the family members bitcoin account. I just need help linking up on the blockchain, the money leaving my account and going into bitcoin limited company. If anyone can help me with this, I will reward them once I have been successful. I have been working on it for a while, I just need to trace the transactions from when they left my account and when they were withdrawn from the family members account.

Thanks

Matthew

Send the address(es) the coins went from here or via pm and I'll take a look at tracing them for you?

Although, it may be fairly difficult if they've used a bitcoin mixer/tumbler systtem.
diagla

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 01:14:58 AM

You said this was a family member, correct? If you know them then the easiest way to get your Bitcoins back is to confront them in real life. I'm guessing you already know who did it or have some clues. They stole almost $1mil, you should try talking to them first. If that doesn't work out, just PM me and I can help with the tracing.
warningsigns

Activity: 896
Merit: 1082

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 04:20:30 AM

This will be difficult. You will need solid forensic evidence supporting the theft accusation and even stronger evidence of the theft's existence. For one, to build a case, you need to know where the bitcoins are and how the theft was perpetrated. You might also need to show proof that those stolen bitcoins were yours in the first place.

And even if the matter advances to prosecution and the perpetrator ends up being found liable or guilty, the court will probably consider the value of those coins at the time the theft was committed and not on the basis of the present $4k value. The value of reparation might not be a nice if you consider the exchange rate at the time the theft was committed.

Keep in mind that certain criminal acts do have an "expiry date". If you fail to take action, they will cease to be prosecutable under the statute of limitations of the jurisdiction where the theft was committed. These statutes also apply to civil cases.

If your family member still has access to the coins, then you might have a chance to pursue the matter in civil court but this usually first requires that a criminal case be adjudged in your favour. It is a long cycle of legal disputes and appeals.. and more appeals. And there is no foolproof assurance of success in property dispute cases.

Your best chance is to negotiate this issue with your family member directly.

Robbert_b

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 09:21:08 AM

Check your PM inbox
carlfebz2

Activity: 2926
Merit: 727

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 10:19:28 AM

You said this was a family member, correct? If you know them then the easiest way to get your Bitcoins back is to confront them in real life. I'm guessing you already know who did it or have some clues. They stole almost $1mil, you should try talking to them first. If that doesn't work out, just PM me and I can help with the tracing.
This is the fastest way I guess and should be done first. Since you do know that a family member who did get those bitcoins from you then you can simply talk to them regarding on those stolen bitcoins but chances for them to tell the truth would be the crucial part since we are talking already Million dollar amount as of now and if that family member do respect you then he/she would tell the truth but if they are caring for money then you would really have a hard time. Can you post the address? I know its nearly impossible to track those transfers because anyone could make use of mixers.
nexus99
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 11:12:06 AM

This is the fastest way I guess and should be done first. Since you do know that a family member who did get those bitcoins from you then you can simply talk to them regarding on those stolen bitcoins but chances for them to tell the truth would be the crucial part since we are talking already Million dollar amount as of now and if that family member do respect you then he/she would tell the truth but if they are caring for money then you would really have a hard time. Can you post the address? I know its nearly impossible to track those transfers because anyone could make use of mixers.

Yes, if a bitcoin mixer was used then probably you won't have a lot of luck retrieving what was stolen from you  Sad The best thing to do would of course be to have a real-life conversation with this family member. I wish you success with solving this!
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 01:44:30 PM

Yes, if a bitcoin mixer was used then probably you won't have a lot of luck retrieving what was stolen from you  Sad The best thing to do would of course be to have a real-life conversation with this family member. I wish you success with solving this!

Actually, blockchain analysis can be run on that part of the blockchain to work out, if the coins were mixed, where their destination was.
Obviously, accuracy is reduced slightly but it is still possible to determine wit advanced analysis ofthat art of the chain, where the coins actually went.
carlfebz2

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 01:49:41 PM

Actually, blockchain analysis can be run on that part of the blockchain to work out, if the coins were mixed, where their destination was.
Obviously, accuracy is reduced slightly but it is still possible to determine wit advanced analysis ofthat art of the chain, where the coins actually went.
If you are really serious to track it with just on that analysis that you said on the chain then expect you would really waste up lots of time for sure but in this case on hunting a million dollar amount then I would really do such thing.I strongly believe that if a coin have been transferred by using mixer I would really say its nearly impossible to trace up,if you do know how mixer works you would really know what I mean.
drm
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 04:20:39 PM

Did you recently find out? Did you forget about your btc? Why didn't you act sooner, how come you are going after this years later?
warningsigns

Activity: 896
Merit: 1082

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 12:13:47 AM

Yes, if a bitcoin mixer was used then probably you won't have a lot of luck retrieving what was stolen from you  Sad The best thing to do would of course be to have a real-life conversation with this family member. I wish you success with solving this!

If the coins were mixed, I think obfuscation will severely impact the chances of prosecution or a successful trace. If the thief used a sophisticated mixing system (perhaps by anonymously trading the coins for an altcoin which would perfect the mixing process) and the theft having happened a long time ago, even the most revolutionary form of blockchain analysis will lead to a dead end. Not all prosecutors are endowed with a level of intelligence allowing them to understand the complex nature and structure of the blockchain. Some of them are relentless and good... really good, yes... and will keep digging in the name of adding a successful case to his career.

Even with advanced blockchain forensic tools, I believe the task of tracing these coins would be herculean.

carlfebz2

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 11:55:32 AM

Yes, if a bitcoin mixer was used then probably you won't have a lot of luck retrieving what was stolen from you  Sad The best thing to do would of course be to have a real-life conversation with this family member. I wish you success with solving this!

If the coins were mixed, I think obfuscation will severely impact the chances of prosecution or a successful trace. If the thief used a sophisticated mixing system (perhaps by anonymously trading the coins for an altcoin which would perfect the mixing process) and the theft having happened a long time ago, even the most revolutionary form of blockchain analysis will lead to a dead end. Not all prosecutors are endowed with a level of intelligence allowing them to understand the complex nature and structure of the blockchain. Some of them are relentless and good... really good, yes... and will keep digging in the name of adding a successful case to his career.

Even with advanced blockchain forensic tools, I believe the task of tracing these coins would be herculean.

That would really add more anonymity if a certain hacker or thief would convert those bitcoin into alts first then decide to use up mixing service then the chances would really become slim even more and I agree on what you said even on using with advance forensic tools it would really require great effort and for sure would really takes time for them to extract those addresses.
rcoins0720

Activity: 253
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 12:32:27 AM

I agree with this...
if your reltives stole it go and find who is that and confront
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: