Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:33:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is pool mining really more profitable?  (Read 1483 times)
sunszl (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 02:44:53 AM

I know little about pool mining.
But I think the pool's job is just to devide the proof-of-work into many small one.
So I guess It  only makes the profit comes more steady instead of more profitable.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 02:51:40 AM

But I think the pool's job is just to devide the proof-of-work into many small one.
So I guess It  only makes the profit comes more steady instead of more profitable.

The answer is not that simple. If you have enough hash rate to effectively mine solo, solo mining is more profitable.

If you do not, you join a pool in order to reduce variance. There are pools that do not charge a fee. Those pools are more profitable, if you can stand the variance (they are typically smaller so they are exposed to more visible variance).

I would mine at P2Pool if I were mining Bitcoins. No fee. All the advantages of solo mining with all the advantages of sharing the reward like traditional pools.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
OliverEngland

Activity: 18

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 04:48:48 AM

Pools are much more steady, solo mining is very slow unless you have a ridiculous amount of hashing power. The overall payout for both over a long period is similar.
gacbmmml

Activity: 29

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 05:34:48 AM

Some guy just mined 3 blocks in a row... 75 btc he received... worth about 45k USD? It could be profitable, but remember you're going up against the BTC Guild's and the GHash.IO's of the world.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 06:07:25 AM

The overall payout for both over a long period is similar.
Not if you have so little hashrate that you mine a block or less per week while the difficulty goes up. Basically, as long as you can predict that difficulty will increase, you need to reduce your variance so that you usually get close to your expected payout over a two week period. Otherwise, you might find yourself taking three weeks to find a block that met the last difficulty level, but not the current (higher) difficulty, wasting your potential to make more at the lower difficulty.

Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 06:26:36 AM

The overall payout for both over a long period is similar.
Not if you have so little hashrate that you mine a block or less per week while the difficulty goes up. Basically, as long as you can predict that difficulty will increase, you need to reduce your variance so that you usually get close to your expected payout over a two week period. Otherwise, you might find yourself taking three weeks to find a block that met the last difficulty level, but not the current (higher) difficulty, wasting your potential to make more at the lower difficulty.

Well, statistically speaking, the expected payout is always a bit higher with solo-mining (with no pool fee), but the variance will be very high as you may only be able to find a block for several weeks, months and even years (depending on your hashrate).
absolutestunt1

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 08:15:17 AM

I've been mining dogecoin.. Between that and middlecoin, I still managed to make a good profit..

Thanks
bluemist

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 02:14:50 PM

With low difficulty coins you should be able to solo mine and receive similar/greater profits than using a pool. However if the difficulty is too high you risk never solving a block. So it really depends on what you're mining, and your hashrate.
cccminer

Activity: 26

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:13:38 PM

Depends on your luck.

If I had been mining solo,   I would have paid for my hardware several times over by now as I have found several blocks.

But since I was in a pool, the earnings were shared, so I'm still behind the curve on equipment payback.

Over the VERY long haul,  it's the same minus the pool fee (or pool theft)

helipotte

Activity: 650
Merit: 500

Pick and place? I need more coffee.

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 10:46:24 PM

Depends on your luck.

If I had been mining solo,   I would have paid for my hardware several times over by now as I have found several blocks.

But since I was in a pool, the earnings were shared, so I'm still behind the curve on equipment payback.

Over the VERY long haul,  it's the same minus the pool fee (or pool theft)

Also, pools usually have more downtime than solo mining.  Assuming your internet connection is solid and you keep the coin client running 24/7.

Found blocks when pool mining do not mean found blocks if you had been solo mining.  Work assignment to miners is different when solo'ing.
LogicalUnit

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 11:38:03 PM

The answer is not that simple. If you have enough hash rate to effectively mine solo, solo mining is more profitable.

If you do not, you join a pool in order to reduce variance. There are pools that do not charge a fee. Those pools are more profitable, if you can stand the variance (they are typically smaller so they are exposed to more visible variance).

I would mine at P2Pool if I were mining Bitcoins. No fee. All the advantages of solo mining with all the advantages of sharing the reward like traditional pools.

I used p2pool with a low hashrate mining setup, and never got a payout. I would recommend against it for entry-level miners.
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 11:44:52 PM

Correct, in fact because most pools charge a fee— and practically all except p2pool expose to to some risk of theft by the pool operator or to the pool being hacked— they reduce your income somewhat.

But they make payments more stable.  I strongly recommended p2pool— it eliminates the risk of theft and the centralization of network resources.  It doesn't provide as much variance reduction as other pools, though then again, if you're a very small miner you're not exactly counting on a payment every day to put food on the table.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: