Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:09:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Visa and Banks After BTC  (Read 6420 times)
Dobrodav

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 01:54:12 AM

I am don`t get it - are we already overtaken by fake personalities  ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
btcsquirrel

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 01:57:42 AM

While the OP's suggestion that a large financial institution was behind the mtgox hack has no evidence, his/her suggestion of a link between large financial institutions and Chuck Schumer is a matter of fact.  You can see on www.opensecrets.org (as previous poster did) how much Chuck receives directly from financial institutions.  Schumer didn't learn about bitcoin because he likes to surf the web and read up on tech stories.  He learned about it from the same people who told him what bitcoin is and what he should do about it.

A good example of what will eventually happen can be found in the recent attempt by AT&T to keep Wisconsin public schools/libraries from completing the fiber network they are working on.  This guy did a good synopsis if you missed it in the news. http://bit.ly/lD8N8x

If you don't think a large company will bribe public officials to have them write legislation to destroy a competitor, you haven't been reading a broad enough sources of news.
Mark Oates

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 02:11:39 AM

check out the big donors to Shumer.

can you guess who?

Don't have to guess.

Top 5 Contributors, 2005-2010
Paul, Weiss et al   $145,550
http://www.paulweiss.com/
Paulson & Co   $137,300
http://www.paulsoninvestment.com/
Weitz & Luxenberg   $86,200
http://www.weitzlux.com/
Schulte, Roth & Zabel   $80,600
http://www.srz.com/
Fragomen, Del Rey et al   $72,700
http://www.fragomen.com/

Top 5 Industries, 2005-2010
Securities & Investment   $2,644,799
Lawyers/Law Firms   $2,137,360
Real Estate   $1,244,190
Lobbyists   $569,713
Misc Finance   $543,950

Where'd you find that information?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 04:42:02 AM

i take seriously our OP.  i have read Creature From Jekyll Island and i follow the news in the eCONomy quite closely.  

in fact, it was my first thought that perhaps a bank was behind the hack.   why would an individual take the time and effort to squash the price to zero?  why wouldn't he just steal the bitcoin from an unlimited withdrawal acct before anyone would notice?

no, the intent of the hack was to drive the price down and destroy confidence.
niemivh

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:44:31 AM

check out the big donors to Shumer.

can you guess who?

You're wasting your time.  These morons have been told that political intrigue doesn't exist and they eagerly lap it up because it precludes them from an adult and comprehensive world-view that requires a rigorous understanding of history and an analytical mind that can process all this without falling into despair at the present condition of mankind.  Needless to say, this is a hard thing to come by.

Julius Caesar tripped and fell on his own knife.
William Henry Harrison died of the flu.
Abe Lincoln was killed by a lone nut, JWB.
JFK was killed by Lee Harvey Oswald.
19 mentally deranged low-grade morons overcame the most defended and secure airspace on the planet with box cutters on 9/11.

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

16LdMA6pCgq9ULrstHmiwwwbGe1BJQyDqr
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:59:57 AM

Also, it's a complete coincidence that the Senate just voted to limit debit card fees.  That was not at all intended to send a message to transaction processors or anything remotely like that.  That would be an insane conspiracy theory, and we don't believe in those.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
jashan

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 07:23:00 AM

in fact, it was my first thought that perhaps a bank was behind the hack.   why would an individual take the time and effort to squash the price to zero?  why wouldn't he just steal the bitcoin from an unlimited withdrawal acct before anyone would notice?

no, the intent of the hack was to drive the price down and destroy confidence.

Agreed. Named + verified sources or not - some things are just too obvious. Why would any hacker try to destroy Bitcoin? Why would any criminal try to destroy Bitcoin? Why would any greedy person try to destroy Bitcoin (except for: when they know they can make more money if Bitcoin wasn't there)? Driving the Bitcoin price to $0.01 only makes sense for one very specific rationale: Destroy the market, destroy trust in Bitcoin. So far, it seemingly wasn't too successful.

The really bad news: Given the markets are open to everyone - what keeps them from gradually buying up significant amounts of Bitcoins so they can "play" with the markets whenever they want to? Early adopters owning a significant part of the available Bitcoins could be trouble in theory - but given that they are early adopters and most likely in it because they like Bitcoin and believe in Bitcoin, it's unlikely that this would be a real problem. Banks buying up significant parts, however, would certainly be a severe problem. And at the moment, I can't think of anything that would keep them from doing that. If I was a bank, it would be what I would be doing.

So, everyone: Buy Bitcoin so the banks can't. And don't sell (buy stuff or ... um ... donate to me instead ;-) ) ... we just need to outnumber them in due time!
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 08:32:25 AM

Please, sell all you can.

I'll be there to buy them up from you, silly trading newbies.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 08:38:06 AM

these banksters are having more and more battles to fight and even though they are quite a daunting adversary they are losing steam and breaking down behind the scenes. They will attempt all they can to maintain their face through fear, and the more they try and the bigger their stunt the more we realise how week and desperate they are and not the other way round. Fear is a very very weak level of power and I remain utterly convinced that this control system is done with one way or another and the world will be rid of these parasites gradually in a manner that we collectively can handle. I expect and contribute my thoughts and action to the dismantlement of this illusion.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 09:12:09 AM

The credit card companies have nothing to fear from us.  We need them just as much in a bitcoin world as we do under our current system.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Findeton

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 09:54:44 AM

My sources tell me that NO_SLAVE hasn't posted again in this thread he created.

Bitcoin Weekly, bitcoin analysis and commentary

14DD7MhRXuw3KDuyUuXvAsRcK4KXTT36XA
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 11:07:02 AM

This is an anonymous forum where anyone can join. We have no way of telling whether you are a troll.

FUD posts like this one should automatically be considered trolling. Until proven otherwise.

I'm am not saying that you definitely are are troll, but give us some proof, or a least plausibility, that you know those "sources", or stop polluting this forum with FUD posts.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
NO_SLAVE (OP)

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 01:06:03 PM

My sources tell me that NO_SLAVE hasn't posted again in this thread he created.

Im not getting into a slug fest with trolls, who has the time for that BS. I put the information out there, take it as you may.
scribe

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 01:46:29 PM

It's always good to be a little paranoid either way - crypto & source code attacks aren't the only attacks on Bitcoin.

The BTC economy is in its infancy and is in a good period to test out its dynamics - both intended and unintended. There are vanloads of laws around established currencies and market trading for good reason (i.e. to stop themselves imploding), but very few of these apply to Bitcoin as it stands, so I can imagine both individuals and companies looking for ways to exploit it.

Way I see it, some exploits will benefit individuals but not affect the overall sustainability of Bitcoins, while others will attack Bitcoins as a functioning economy. Are technical protocols enough to withstand or circumvent either or both? Maybe the true test of Bitcoin won't be how spread out individual nodes are, but how much the Bitcoin community establishes new controls and agreements on top of it.

Whether or not NO_SLAVE has sources, it'd be foolish to pretend everyone is in it for the long-term survival of Bitcoins.

p.s. Surely Bitcoins are more of a threat to other net-payment services like PayPal at the moment?

blocknois.es Bitcoin music label. ~ New release: This Is Art

Read: Bitcoin Life | Wear: FUTUREECONOMY
chihlidog

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 01:51:57 PM

It's always good to be a little paranoid either way - crypto & source code attacks aren't the only attacks on Bitcoin.

The BTC economy is in its infancy and is in a good period to test out its dynamics - both intended and unintended. There are vanloads of laws around established currencies and market trading for good reason (i.e. to stop themselves imploding), but very few of these apply to Bitcoin as it stands, so I can imagine both individuals and companies looking for ways to exploit it.

Way I see it, some exploits will benefit individuals but not affect the overall sustainability of Bitcoins, while others will attack Bitcoins as a functioning economy. Are technical protocols enough to withstand or circumvent either or both? Maybe the true test of Bitcoin won't be how spread out individual nodes are, but how much the Bitcoin community establishes new controls and agreements on top of it.

Whether or not NO_SLAVE has sources, it'd be foolish to pretend everyone is in it for the long-term survival of Bitcoins.

p.s. Surely Bitcoins are more of a threat to other net-payment services like PayPal at the moment?

+1. A bit of paranoia is healthy. Sometimes the resulting theories are indeed correct.

I dont see any reason for banks NOT to be attacking bitcoin. Better to eliminate the competition while it's weak than deal with it after it has become entrenched.
finnthecelt

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 03:11:58 PM

While the OP's suggestion that a large financial institution was behind the mtgox hack has no evidence, his/her suggestion of a link between large financial institutions and Chuck Schumer is a matter of fact.  You can see on www.opensecrets.org (as previous poster did) how much Chuck receives directly from financial institutions.  Schumer didn't learn about bitcoin because he likes to surf the web and read up on tech stories.  He learned about it from the same people who told him what bitcoin is and what he should do about it.

A good example of what will eventually happen can be found in the recent attempt by AT&T to keep Wisconsin public schools/libraries from completing the fiber network they are working on.  This guy did a good synopsis if you missed it in the news. http://bit.ly/lD8N8x

If you don't think a large company will bribe public officials to have them write legislation to destroy a competitor, you haven't been reading a broad enough sources of news.

Well then, it's a good thing that LulzSec is on our side... LOL

Does LulzSec have a "side"?
finnthecelt

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 03:26:55 PM

The credit card companies have nothing to fear from us.  We need them just as much in a bitcoin world as we do under our current system.

But they don't need us.
finnthecelt

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 03:38:10 PM

Well then, it's a good thing that LulzSec is on our side... LOL

Does LulzSec have a "side"?

LulzSec has many sides.

I walked right into that one!!   Grin
qualia8

Activity: 237

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 03:55:28 PM

This was my speculation.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/i4ign/conspiracy_theory_its_the_banks/
lonestranger

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

I like long walks on the beach, shaving my head...

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 04:41:24 PM

I am don`t get it - are we already overtaken by fake personalities  ?

Fake personalities?  Are you referring to the military project to create fake people on the internet?

Me and the other government-loving, mainstream TV watching, ignorant, arrogant, know-it-all statists here on this thread laugh at such a notion. It's not mentioned TV now, is it? Right?!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: