Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:26:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Ripple a Scam?  (Read 3524 times)
CoachCoach

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 11:35:42 PM

Proof?
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitPlus

Activity: 50

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:24:16 PM

Ripple is not a scam, they failed
anarchyx

Activity: 480
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:27:25 PM

X
Nutu2000

Activity: 39

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:39:10 PM

The idea that ripple has sounds like a legit one, but whether it'll be a scam or not it depends on the ones that created it. But in the end is just a pyramid scheme for me and those things are scams most likely. Smiley)
rig007

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:44:55 PM

No it is not a scam. But you can't mine this coin.
zantafio

Activity: 18

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 10:20:10 PM

Not a scam, but they missed the point of Bitcoin : it's peer to peer. no central server, can't be shut down.

Ripple is the new Flooz / Beenz . Same fate to be expected.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:29:47 PM

Not a scam, but they missed the point of Bitcoin : it's peer to peer. no central server, can't be shut down.

Ripple is the new Flooz / Beenz . Same fate to be expected.

Supposedly they have designed it in such a way that a number of servers can be run, making it somewhat decentralized, thus avoiding the fate of the old centralized failures. If they actually come through with their promises is still yet to be seen.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
cryto4rig

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 04:33:44 PM

I don't know about this coin. Will check it now.
mmeijeri

Activity: 714

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 04:47:50 PM

Supposedly they have designed it in such a way that a number of servers can be run, making it somewhat decentralized, thus avoiding the fate of the old centralized failures.

It is currently somewhat decentralised, and if they release the source code, it will be just as decentralised as Bitcoin. In addition it will offer much improved fiat <-> crypto interface for all cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 04:58:25 PM

I don't know if it is a scam but I do know I don't trust it.

If they would open source it and truly use a decentralized network then maybe I would change my mind.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
mmeijeri

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 05:06:03 PM

I find it telling that so many people are so eager to profess their distrust. It would seem more logical to express both interest in the concept and hope it will be open-sourced, perhaps with a willingness to contribute to something similar if it isn't. The fact that that's not happening suggests that people are deliberately bad-mouthing Ripple without wanting to admit it.

bitcoinbilly

Activity: 30

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:19:39 PM

Thank you!  Finally, someone who makes sense!  It amazes me that so many who defend btc daily on these forums are so closed minded when it comes to XRP.  At the very least, if you haven't, educate yourself.
prodigits7

Activity: 120

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:55:15 PM

Ripple can accommodate any currency, including dollars, yen, euros, and even bitcoins, making it one of the first distributed currency exchanges.

By creating a multi-currency, security-focused exchange, it can facilitate the evolution of Bitcoin as well. It's a win-win situation for Ripple & Bitcoin
AliceWonder

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:28:31 PM

I find it telling that so many people are so eager to profess their distrust. It would seem more logical to express both interest in the concept and hope it will be open-sourced, perhaps with a willingness to contribute to something similar if it isn't.

I'm by nature skeptical of anything closed source.
I've been on the FLOSS bandwagon since 1998.

When software is proprietary, it limits the user and quite often results in financial lock-in for code that is not as good as open source alternatives.

Why don't the developers want to open source it? What's their motive?
Clearly their motive isn't what is best for the users or they would open source it.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
AliceWonder

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:30:11 PM

Ripple can accommodate any currency, including dollars, yen, euros, and even bitcoins, making it one of the first distributed currency exchanges.

By creating a multi-currency, security-focused exchange, it can facilitate the evolution of Bitcoin as well. It's a win-win situation for Ripple & Bitcoin

Is it really security focused?
Then show us the source, because that's the only way to really know.

Hint - most closed source applications have huge gaping security issues.

wikiaki

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

DATABLOCKCHAIN.IO SALE IS LIVE | MVP @ DBC.IO

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:32:25 PM

As long as it's source code is closed to the public I don't want anything to do with it.

+1

mmeijeri

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:36:37 PM

If they release it now, then people will fork it, OpenCoin's holdings of XRP will become worthless and their business model will collapse. It will also make it more difficult to get a consensus on necessary changes to the protocol. On the other hand, if they wait too long, then adoption may be hindered by a lack of trust and they run the risk of being shut down by the USG before the system (including the initial ledger with OpenCoin holding all of the XRP) can stand on its own. It's a difficult trade-off.

Oliwill

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:52:18 PM

this may help http://ripplescam.org
prodigits7

Activity: 120

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 09:29:36 PM

Ripple doesn’t compete with Bitcoin as much as it does with existing centralized-currencies and transaction systems. You will be able to do Bitcoin Legal Tender transactions with Ripple. If Ripple becomes bigger, there will be true competition between all those legal-tender currencies vs Bitcoin without banks being shut down.

However, I think Ripple is making the wrong moves to be taken seriously. And OpenTransactions project is doing a better job at solving the issue.

https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions
AliceWonder

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 09:34:33 PM

If they release it now, then people will fork it, OpenCoin's holdings of XRP will become worthless

Forks generally only work if they are better, have something legitimate to offer.
There are numerous success stories in open source software history, from GNU C library to Linux to Apache to PHP to PostgreSQL.

But it is undoubtedly self interest that is keeping it closed. Hence why I have no interest in their offering.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: