Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:09:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Bitcoin With CPU  (Read 1801 times)
CryptoPorco

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 01:10:09 PM

Is there a difference in what type of CPU you use? like faster/slower CPUs with more or less pwr usage? does that make a difference in how fast you can mine?

CPU mining sadly died a long time ago.. but to answer your question, yea there is gonna be a difference if you use a newer (therefore faster) CPU with a lower power usage
than an older (slower) CPU that also uses more power. If you want to mine, I would start with a cheap ASIC USB stick...  I have 5 Antminer U2+ sticks, which are cheap ASIC USB sticks and together they do roughly 9 Gh/s... If you don't want to spend anything right away, I still suggest using a GPU rather than the CPU.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CyptoAnto

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 01:29:07 PM

Is there a difference in what type of CPU you use? like faster/slower CPUs with more or less pwr usage? does that make a difference in how fast you can mine?

CPU mining sadly died a long time ago.. but to answer your question, yea there is gonna be a difference if you use a newer (therefore faster) CPU with a lower power usage
than an older (slower) CPU that also uses more power. If you want to mine, I would start with a cheap ASIC USB stick...  I have 5 Antminer U2+ sticks, which are cheap ASIC USB sticks and together they do roughly 9 Gh/s... If you don't want to spend anything right away, I still suggest using a GPU rather than the CPU.

thanks for the info, but what about the GPU? same as the CPU? (like newer better ect..) idk about ASIC yet  Undecided  the pwr usage is high. was wanting to use a low pwr CPU for starters,
what do you recommend?
CryptoPorco

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 01:59:04 PM

thanks for the info, but what about the GPU? same as the CPU? (like newer better ect..) idk about ASIC yet  Undecided  the pwr usage is high. was wanting to use a low pwr CPU for starters,
what do you recommend?

Well if you have to buy a CPU, you mind as well get a ASIC stick really.. I mean just took a quick look on amazon and found a decent one (Rev 2 GekkoScience 2-Pac Compac USB Stick Bitcoin Miner 15gh/s+) for 90$ ( 32-.35 watts per gh)as for the GPU.. A Radeon RX 470 has a modest hash rate of 24.0MH/s. Its power cost per day is exactly the same as the Radeon RX 480 at $0.4320. Its cost per MH/s is $9.13, giving it a return per day of $1.15 and a return per year of $418.16. Radeon RX 470 will cost you $219. As you can see the GPU would use way more power than the ASIC sticks... and the ASIC generates more /sec. If you gotta spend money for a cpu you mind as well buy ASIC sticks.
CyptoAnto

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 02:12:24 PM

what do you recommend?

Well if you have to buy a CPU, you mind as well get a ASIC stick really.. I mean just took a quick look on amazon and found a decent one (Rev 2 GekkoScience 2-Pac Compac USB Stick Bitcoin Miner 15gh/s+) for 90$ ( 32-.35 watts per gh)as for the GPU.. A Radeon RX 470 has a modest hash rate of 24.0MH/s. Its power cost per day is exactly the same as the Radeon RX 480 at $0.4320. Its cost per MH/s is $9.13, giving it a return per day of $1.15 and a return per year of $418.16. Radeon RX 470 will cost you $219. As you can see the GPU would use way more power than the ASIC sticks... and the ASIC generates more /sec. If you gotta spend money for a cpu you mind as well buy ASIC sticks.

Ok wow lots of "tech" info  Shocked
looks like I need to do more reserch haha, but from what I understood, yea it does seem like starting with a ASIC usb stick would be best in my situation (dont have to buy a new rig for that right) could I just plug it up in my old laptop?
CryptoPorco

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 02:23:21 PM

what do you recommend?

Ok wow lots of "tech" info  Shocked
looks like I need to do more reserch haha, but from what I understood, yea it does seem like starting with a ASIC usb stick would be best in my situation (dont have to buy a new rig for that right) could I just plug it up in my old laptop?

lol yea by all means do your own reserch.. and yea you can plug it in your old laptop, usb stick dosent tax you CPU so can still go on and use your laptop as you would usually  Wink
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 04:41:44 PM

A snail vs. a slug. Either way it is too slow.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 07:50:52 PM

You can invest in CPU mining, but not to mine BTC. There are other coins if you actually want to profit from your powerful CPU. Back in 2012 it was already hard to impossible to mine any bitcoins with a CPU. Back then the most efficient were FPGAs, the early mining chips. A year later ASICs came out and an era of dedicated miners begun. Sounds like quite a story, right?Cheesy

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
pekobites

Activity: 119
Merit: 13

0x88628bf14F2391707bA9d1767f83c694Efd2a8B9

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 06:34:59 AM

You have made me curious, how long would a I5 or I3 survive if someone started mining with them

Also I have an IT friend that jokingly told me he is gonna get all the shitty gpu less pcs in my office to mine ETH how long till everything burns down?

Autobay.io  │  The First Decentralized E-commerce platform to Buy or Sell Cars.
JOIN TOKEN SALE     ►   1 AUGUST 2018   ◄
[      WHITEPAPER      FACEBOOK      TWITTER      LINKEDIN      ANN THREAD      ]
coolcoinz
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1103

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 09:36:55 AM

You have made me curious, how long would a I5 or I3 survive if someone started mining with them

Also I have an IT friend that jokingly told me he is gonna get all the shitty gpu less pcs in my office to mine ETH how long till everything burns down?
For many years. Mining doesn't degrade a CPU, it keeps it at close to 100% load the whole time, but these chips are made for it. They just need proper cooling.
Unfortunately if you mine with low grade processors you'll pay more for power than you'll be able to mine. If you had a mainframe and could configure it to mine a CPU coin, you could bring in some serious money Wink

rcoins0720

Activity: 253
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 10:29:16 AM

CPU for example have 2 cores that two cores need to solve math algorithm and problems when mining ..
the GPU have more cores so you can mine faster in a good GPU example 1080 Ti
the next one is the hardware dedicated only to make bitcoin or to solve faster math problems...
BE aware that the eletricity will be high and your bill may increase a lot Smiley
Turk Ace

Activity: 360
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2017, 12:47:29 AM

CPU coins are very rare but there are a couple. Most altcoins also will use asic now but there are some gpu coins like eth because of the difference algorithm.
RenBct

Activity: 233
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 02:20:40 AM

The feeling is like your a turtle and you are racing with a horse. So you will mine at just speed 1 so lower income when you use CPU I recommend use a Antminer D3 Smiley

Jake052478

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

I will do wonder for YOU!!!

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 04:15:56 AM

As i just started a Forum on building rig for bitcoins... I guess it will much and the return of investment is harder thab i expected... Considering the 1000 watts power per hour.... Thats huge... And as i just read... It is already dominated by ASIC.... i just have to divert to find ways to earn ....
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: