Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:16:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: For those that fear for their passwords - use LastPass  (Read 2071 times)
TheVirus (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 02:46:49 AM

www.LastPass.com

It is like KeePass, but it's online and there's an addon for every major browser. I used KeePass's Firefox addon but hated the way it worked. LastPass stores your info locally and on their servers. It is encrypted before it ever reaches their servers, so even if LastPass were hacked (and they were), your data is still safe if you use a strong password (you do, don't you?)

The great thing about it is when I sign up at a new site, I just have it autogenerate a password and it stores it. I don't need to remember it, I don't need to write it down. Furthermore, should anything happen to your password file, you can always use 'Forgot password' on the majority of sites.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
just_someguy

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 03:08:16 AM

Something I haven't seen the answer to:
Does lastpass do any verification before it lets you pull as user's database?
If everything is local they really have no idea whether I'm pulling my own blob or someone else's.
I can enter your email address and download your blob.
I realize its as safe as your master password is strong but if there's no verification at all it just doesn't sit right with me.
I've used lastpass on and off but I've never really seen the answer to that question.
BitQuestr (BitCoinWorldMarket)

Activity: 75

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 03:12:43 AM

I personally have a problem with a password keeper that won't work when I am offline. I prefer to be able to look up my passwords where ever I am incase I need to use someone else's computer etc. I am not sure how LastPass handles these situations but I have fallen even more in love with 1Password after all of these security issues came up. It syncs secure between my phone, multiple computers, and my ipad.

It is so simple to use that I have turned on most of my friends and family on to it.

http://agilebits.com/products/1Password

The fact that it also makes filling out online forms and storing entering credit card information more secure is the added bonus that I have trouble living without.

Whatever password keeper you use it will improve your security. The most secure password really is the one that is too difficult to memorize. Without a program like this there is no way you could choose secure different passwords for all your logins and remember them.
bitboy

Activity: 55
Merit: 51

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 03:23:47 AM

+1 for 1Password

I did not receive any private messages or instruction from anyone before, and when I first created those graphics, not even from SN.
bitcoinminer

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 03:26:03 AM

Awesome!  A browser plugin?  Does it include Bonzai Buddy and MyWebSearch?  How about Weatherbug?

Just post all of your passwords on this forum, and if you forget, you can just look them up here.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
TheVirus (OP)

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 05:13:06 PM

Something I haven't seen the answer to:
Does lastpass do any verification before it lets you pull as user's database?
If everything is local they really have no idea whether I'm pulling my own blob or someone else's.
I can enter your email address and download your blob.
I realize its as safe as your master password is strong but if there's no verification at all it just doesn't sit right with me.
I've used lastpass on and off but I've never really seen the answer to that question.

You won't get any data back from the server unless you get the correct email/password combo. You send the server your email over HTTPS and then your password hash. If they match, they send you the data blob.

I personally have a problem with a password keeper that won't work when I am offline. I prefer to be able to look up my passwords where ever I am incase I need to use someone else's computer etc. I am not sure how LastPass handles these situations but I have fallen even more in love with 1Password after all of these security issues came up. It syncs secure between my phone, multiple computers, and my ipad.

It is so simple to use that I have turned on most of my friends and family on to it.

http://agilebits.com/products/1Password

The fact that it also makes filling out online forms and storing entering credit card information more secure is the added bonus that I have trouble living without.

Whatever password keeper you use it will improve your security. The most secure password really is the one that is too difficult to memorize. Without a program like this there is no way you could choose secure different passwords for all your logins and remember them.

You can use LastPass offline. As I said, your local computer(s) hold the data. There's also a LastPass app for Android/Apple.

Awesome!  A browser plugin?  Does it include Bonzai Buddy and MyWebSearch?  How about Weatherbug?

Just post all of your passwords on this forum, and if you forget, you can just look them up here.

What an asinine comment. You're telling me you run your browser with no addons/extensions whatsoever? This isn't an annoying toolbar or OS program. It runs similar to Ad Block Plus for Chrome/FireFox. There are no ads, no popups, no annoyances. When it detects a form that it knows, it drops down a little bar under the bookmark bar and the user can select to auto-fill or auto-login. This isn't 1995 where computers have very few resources and applications are horribly coded.

Furthermore, there's quite a bit of difference between using a service like LastPass and posting your passwords on a public forum. Please, don't spread FUD and misinformation on topics you clearly know nothing about. Take your childish antics elsewhere.
bitcoinminer

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:34:18 AM

What an asinine comment. You're telling me you run your browser with no addons/extensions whatsoever? This isn't an annoying toolbar or OS program. It runs similar to Ad Block Plus for Chrome/FireFox. There are no ads, no popups, no annoyances. When it detects a form that it knows, it drops down a little bar under the bookmark bar and the user can select to auto-fill or auto-login. This isn't 1995 where computers have very few resources and applications are horribly coded.

Furthermore, there's quite a bit of difference between using a service like LastPass and posting your passwords on a public forum. Please, don't spread FUD and misinformation on topics you clearly know nothing about. Take your childish antics elsewhere.

Yes, I'm telling you I run my browser without any addons whatsoever... but if you told me I could get not only Bonzai Buddy and Weatherbug, but a POPUP BLOCKER with your product, where can I sign up?!?!

That's really awesome.  I like to use a different password on each site, so it would be convenient for a hacker to have access to every stored password by just getting access to either my browser or the 1 password I store all the others with.

I'll make sure to right it down on a post-it note so they don't have to work too hard at it.

-Warren Buffett
Astro

Activity: 284
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:46:25 AM

Other than you being the world's first password manager hipster, do you have any worthwhile criticisms of LastPass, or are you just fagging up this thread for attention?
bitcoinminer

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:48:49 AM

Other than you being the world's first password manager hipster, do you have any worthwhile criticisms of LastPass, or are you just fagging up this thread for attention?

Careful, if you were a basketball star you'd have to pay $100,000 fine and go on a super duper gay pride tour!

-Warren Buffett
Shinobi

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 04:01:40 AM

He's just a perfect example of the teenage pimple-farmers that make up a majority of the Bitcoin community. Its honestly one of the most off-putting aspects of the Bitcoin experiment.

_______
Thinking of using a cheap, yet reliable VPN? Go with PrivateInternetAccess. Not a referral link. Just a satisfied customer!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: